Rock and Romance, 80s Cruise, and my other 2024 music adventures

Honolulu Blue

30 minutes ago, George C said:

Wonder when 2025 artists will be listed. 

Good question. I assume they'll do it when they're ready to book for 2025. But when will that be? The tentative schedule is due for release any time now. Maybe they're waiting for that?

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 12:09 PM, George C said:

Wonder when 2025 artists will be listed. 

On 2/11/2024 at 12:44 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

Good question. I assume they'll do it when they're ready to book for 2025. But when will that be? The tentative schedule is due for release any time now. Maybe they're waiting for that?

The Rock and Romance Cruise site has switched over to 2025.  No tentative schedule for our cruise yet, but they did announce lots of details about the '25 cruise - including the initial lineup.

Rock-Romance-2025-initial-lineup.thumb.jpg.0cc46852f570098edabfae92620dd0e5.jpg

I kind of like what they have announced so far.  I saw Dire Straits Legacy (DSL) on The 80s Cruise back in 2022:

IMG_20220307_184939.thumb.jpg.7e6f6c23a2bee65d487faa99f2ccf7f6.jpg

And I saw Al McKay doing the EW&F thing on the Ultimate Disco Cruise last year:

IMG_20230227_195145.thumb.jpg.bf5f8c4b12aa9dde00daca0899fe4c4f.jpg

As for the rest... looky looky @George C, your girl Melissa is back onboard!  Let's hope she stays this time.  And I kind of like Kansas and I kind of like Boston.

It's not a bad backup option, but I think TEC can do better than this with their initial lineup.  We'll see in a couple of weeks.

I also made note of the itinerary and prices, so let's post screen shots of those:

Rock-Romance-2025-itinerary.jpg.a0eac2084a7c14f62939a53709652b1b.jpg

Rock-Romance-2025-price-chart.thumb.jpg.a432f5e7c9026824c5fd741c40875077.jpg

The price for me for this cruise coming up next month is $3524.  Next year will be $3864, which is an increase of just under 10%.  Not great, but it could have been worse.

Now it's time to wait for those schedules...

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

The Rock and Romance Cruise site has switched over to 2025.  No tentative schedule for our cruise yet, but they did announce lots of details about the '25 cruise - including the initial lineup.

I kind of like what they have announced so far.  I saw Dire Straits Legacy (DSL) on The 80s Cruise back in 2022:

As for the rest... looky looky @George C, your girl Melissa is back onboard!  Let's hope she stays this time.  And I kind of like Kansas and I kind of like Boston.

It's not a bad backup option, but I think TEC can do better than this with their initial lineup.  We'll see in a couple of weeks.

I also made note of the itinerary and prices, so let's post screen shots of those:

The price for me for this cruise coming up next month is $3524.  Next year will be $3864, which is an increase of just under 10%.  Not great, but it could have been worse.

Great info , I am surprised my royal suite didn’t go up that much . Looking forward to hearing Kansas, the Orchestra was on before and was excellent, Guess who was a fun show also. We get repeat discount and a veteran discount. 

• Like 1

While I continue to wait for the tentative schedule for both R&R and TEC, a scan of the R&R FAQs mentioned the theme nights that I don't think had been discussed yet for this cruise.  At least I ASSUME they're the theme nights for our cruise and not the one in '23 or '25.

RR-2024-nightly-themes-full.jpg.84c61e820e2127741b936d26b6c6b861.jpg

The plan is to bring most of my best themed wardrobe to The 80s Cruise, but maybe I can find enough stuff to give a halfhearted nod to most of these themes.  We'll see.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 2

As expected today the Soul Train Cruise pre-sale had only Oceanview and veranda cabins, which are out of my budget. It looks like the 30 or so cabins that were available sold out in 30 minutes. The good news is that Jeffrey Osborne is part of this land-based event I'll probably go to (as are multiple UDC 2025 artists) and I can just catch up with the other artists I wanted to see on land at some point. I am waiting on the Outlaw Country lineup before I pull the trigger for UDC.

https://classicrandbevents.com

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NinS said:

As expected today the Soul Train Cruise pre-sale had only Oceanview and veranda cabins, which are out of my budget. It looks like the 30 or so cabins that were available sold out in 30 minutes. The good news is that Jeffrey Osborne is part of this land-based event I'll probably go to (as are multiple UDC 2025 artists) and I can just catch up with the other artists I wanted to see on land at some point. I am waiting on the Outlaw Country lineup before I pull the trigger for UDC.

https://classicrandbevents.com

Thanks for the link. Interesting event,  but I think I'll stick with the UDC and other music themed cruises.

I'm sorry you couldn't find a suitable cabin on the Soul Train Cruise. I'm both surprised and not surprised by the news that it's sold out already. 

Keep us posted on the OCC, as I don't follow the cruise that closely. Maybe we can get together on the UDC or something.  🤑😎👍

• Like 2

I received a couple of e-mails from The 80s Cruise and the Rock and Romance Cruise.  Unfortunately, they didn't have the tentative schedules I have been looking for for the past several days.

The e-mail from TEC did mention that schedules would be released next week.  That's good in that I can stop worrying about it until then.  But it's bad that I only have a minimum of time to plan, dream, and scheme around them.  Also in this e-mail were some trivial details about this upcoming cruise, including what the ECP staff are looking forward to on this cruise.

The e-mail from Rock & Romance was all about the 2025 cruise.  It turns out that I can book RIGHT NOW, if I'm willing to settle for the same cabin.  I'm sure the cabin will be fine, but there are lots of things I want to check out before I rebook.  It's unlikely I will do so before I get onboard.  BTW, the token I received expires March 11 (3 days before we sail), but I can book onboard at the same rate, although I may or may not have to choose a different cabin.  They also listed and described the initial acts that were announced for this cruise.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I received a couple of e-mails from The 80s Cruise and the Rock and Romance Cruise.  Unfortunately, they didn't have the tentative schedules I have been looking for for the past several days.

The e-mail from TEC did mention that schedules would be released next week.  That's good in that I can stop worrying about it until then.  But it's bad that I only have a minimum of time to plan, dream, and scheme around them.  Also in this e-mail were some trivial details about this upcoming cruise, including what the ECP staff are looking forward to on this cruise.

The e-mail from Rock & Romance was all about the 2025 cruise.  It turns out that I can book RIGHT NOW, if I'm willing to settle for the same cabin.  I'm sure the cabin will be fine, but there are lots of things I want to check out before I rebook.  It's unlikely I will do so before I get onboard.  BTW, the token I received expires March 11 (3 days before we sail), but I can book onboard at the same rate, although I may or may not have to choose a different cabin.  They also listed and described the initial acts that were announced for this cruise.

We will definitely rebook and get same Royal suite but I see no reason to book until we get on board . Once we get performances schedule we pick a time for you to see our suite if still interested. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, George C said:

We will definitely rebook and get same Royal suite but I see no reason to book until we get on board . Once we get performances schedule we pick a time for you to see our suite if still interested. 

Yes indeed, I'm still interested. I think it will be one of the cruise highlights. 😁

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 8:52 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Just looked at prices for our royal suite for Chris Botti jazz cruise for 2025 and it’s more than 3k per person than next years rock and romance.

• Like 1

I found a post on R&R's FB page from a StarVista rep dated Friday that said they were going to release the tentative schedule "next week".

It is now next week. The R&R and TEC schedules should be out any time. Not yet, though. 😠

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

Rock and Romance wins the race!  Their schedule is out first, beating TEC (though both are late - naughty naughty 🤬).  Some very early notes as I scan through it quickly:

• Day 1 main shows - Gino Vannelli (early) and Don McLean (late)
  • Queen Nation on embarkation day by the pool starting at 3:45. I should make it there.  Will they play Bohemian??
  • Cara Lee at 9:45 on day 1 in Rendezvous.  I'll try to stay up for this.
  • WAR by the pool at 11.  If I'm up for Cara, it should be easy enough to make this one.
  • Pablo Cruise does a matinee at 1 on day 2 in the main theater for us holding gold cards
  • Ambrosia is doing an acoustic show at 2 in the Sky Lounge.  If I were a certain Heisman-trophy-winning rental-car-pitchman (I'm not allowed to say his name anymore in public), I might have a shot at making it from the theater to the Sky Lounge in 5 minutes.  For me, and most normal people, it's going to be more like 10.  Which means I'll probably have to pass on this and wait for another concert from these guys.  Sigh. ☹️
  • Day 2 has Foreigner in the main theater early and Gino Vannelli late
  • Lez Zeppelin at 7:45 by the pool.  Sorry girls.
  • Queen Nation will be by the pool on day 2 at 11 PM.  I doubt I'll make this one.

More about this schedule later.  I'm still studying it.

• Like 1

OK, after running through the schedule once, here's what I found that's of most interest to me.  Keep in mind that I can't be in two places at once, and I might not watch the same performer twice.  I note that I didn't see a Q&A for Foreigner.

WHEN WHO & WHAT WHERE
Thursday Embark  
330-500p Sailaway - Queen Nation Pool 
945-1045p Cara Lee (Cher) Rendezvous
1100p-mid WAR Pool 

Friday at sea  
100-200p Pablo Cruise Theater
200-300p Ambrosia acoustic Sky Lounge
500-530p Interview w/Lonnie from WAR Sky Lounge
630-800p Foreigner Theater
745-845p Lez Zeppelin Rendezvous
1100p-mid Queen Nation

Pool 

Saturday

at sea  
200-300p Lez Zeppelin Pool 
400-500p WAR Pool 
745-845p Troubadours (Carole King & James Taylor) Sky Lounge
1100p-mid Bee Gees Gold Pool 

Sunday Aruba  
630-800p Ambrosia & Yacht Rock Theater
715p-815p Cara Lee (Cher) Rendezvous
1015-1115p Bella Donna (Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac) Sky Lounge
1100p-mid Orleans Pool
1215-115a Creedence Revived Sky Lounge

Monday Curacao  
200-300p Cara Lee Pool
630-800p Dave Mason Theater
745-845p Rockin' the Yacht Pool
1100p-mid Doobie Others Pool
Tuesday at sea  
1200-100p Hotel California Pool
400-500p Orleans Pool
630-800p Generation Radio Theater
745-845p Bella Donna (Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac) Pool
1215-115a Bee Gees Gold Sky Lounge
Wed. at sea  
1000-1100a Creedence Revived Pool
1000-1100a Bowie's Late Years Theater
1200-100p Rockin' the Yacht Pool
200-300p Hotel California (The Eagles) Pool
400-500p Doobie Others Pool
630-800p Randy Bachman Theater
1215-115a Farewell- Lee, Trullinger & Stamper

Sky Lounge

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 2

Looks like you've got a great and very full week of music, HB. When Peter Asher did his late night acoustic show on Flower Power he brought out some special guests (including the Cowsills) and I loved it, but different strokes for different cruisers!

• Like 2

You left out badfinger which is normally just Joey Molland who spent lots of time in suite lounge on a previous cruise, we also saw him in Dallas with Todd Rundgren, Christofer Cross and others . I think it’s a decent lineup but not as good as previous years.

Neledi is a very fun performer who has been on last several r &r .

LSB are fantastic and I believe they were on last 5 r&r.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NinS said:

Looks like you've got a great and very full week of music, HB. When Peter Asher did his late night acoustic show on Flower Power he brought out some special guests (including the Cowsills) and I loved it, but different strokes for different cruisers!

Peter Asher looks like he's doing the same (or similar) acoustic show for us on Monday night/Tuesday morning.  He also has a matinee, solo, on Tuesday afternoon.  I'll take your recommendation in mind, but it's going to be tough to squeeze him in when there's so much going on.

Thank you for your kind words.  This does look like a very full and interesting schedule.  It looks like I'll be hanging around by the pool a lot.  I'd better prepare for that.

52 minutes ago, George C said:

You left out badfinger which is normally just Joey Molland who spent lots of time in suite lounge on a previous cruise, we also saw him in Dallas with Todd Rundgren, Christofer Cross and others . I think it’s a decent lineup but not as good as previous years.

Neledi is a very fun performer who has been on last several r &r .

LSB are fantastic and I believe they were on last 5 r&r.

Badfinger didn't quite meet my standards, arbitrary as they are.  Too many better choices, IMHO, not enough time.  I'm happy you hung around with him and saw him perform.

Curious - what kind of music does Naledi perform?  I might check him out if he's doing something appealing.

You've mentioned LSB before.  I want to go see them... but their themes are meh (again, IMHO) and they're mostly up against stiff competition.  I'll take another look.

• Like 2

I might be misreading things but I actually think the performance will be the Hall of Fame Band (Peter Asher's backing group) doing a tribute to Badfinger, rather than a Joey Molland set.

When Peter Asher does StarVista cruises he does a matinee show with a full band (including Cara Lee singing "You're No Good" which Asher produced) and then the late night acoustic shows which have lots of special guests. I wonder if he's the only artist who has been on Malt Shop, Flower Power and Rock and Romance. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NinS said:

I might be misreading things but I actually think the performance will be the Hall of Fame Band (Peter Asher's backing group) doing a tribute to Badfinger, rather than a Joey Molland set.

When Peter Asher does StarVista cruises he does a matinee show with a full band (including Cara Lee singing "You're No Good" which Asher produced) and then the late night acoustic shows which have lots of special guests. I wonder if he's the only artist who has been on Malt Shop, Flower Power and Rock and Romance. 

Correct - the HOF Band will be doing a tribute to Badfinger.

And it sounds like what you've described with Peter Asher is what we're going to get on this cruise.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Peter Asher looks like he's doing the same (or similar) acoustic show for us on Monday night/Tuesday morning.  He also has a matinee, solo, on Tuesday afternoon.  I'll take your recommendation in mind, but it's going to be tough to squeeze him in when there's so much going on.

Thank you for your kind words.  This does look like a very full and interesting schedule.  It looks like I'll be hanging around by the pool a lot.  I'd better prepare for that.

Badfinger didn't quite meet my standards, arbitrary as they are.  Too many better choices, IMHO, not enough time.  I'm happy you hung around with him and saw him perform.

Curious - what kind of music does Naledi perform?  I might check him out if he's doing something appealing.

You've mentioned LSB before.  I want to go see them... but their themes are meh (again, IMHO) and they're mostly up against stiff competition.  I'll take another look.

Naledi about 30 year old black woman, great voice and normally plays close to martini bar , just a very bubbly person doing lots of difference music , funny thing was she changed names a couple of years ago . She has been on R&R about 4 times.

Gino Vaneelli and Ambrosia have been on before but never for a main show .

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, George C said:

Naledi about 30 year old black woman, great voice and normally plays close to martini bar , just a very bubbly person doing lots of difference music , funny thing was she changed names a couple of years ago . She has been on R&R about 4 times.

Gino Vaneelli and Ambrosia have been on before but never for a main show .

Thanks for the details and heads up.

Today the 2025 Flower Power Cruise was announced. It's a very good lineup that includes Mark Lindsay's first live appearance anywhere in a number of years -- he had retired due an injury and had cancelled on a prior FPC. Rare Earth (with no originals), The Guess Who and ex-Hollies member Terry Sylvester are also doing Rock and Romance in 2025. Alas the dates probably won't work for me (and I won't know for sure until after the April pre-sale) so it's not likely that I'll be booking a cabin. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NinS said:

Today the 2025 Flower Power Cruise was announced. It's a very good lineup that includes Mark Lindsay's first live appearance anywhere in a number of years -- he had retired due an injury and had cancelled on a prior FPC. Rare Earth (with no originals), The Guess Who and ex-Hollies member Terry Sylvester are also doing Rock and Romance in 2025. Alas the dates probably won't work for me (and I won't know for sure until after the April pre-sale) so it's not likely that I'll be booking a cabin. 

We saw the Guess who several years ago on R&R and they were ok, then saw them last year and they were fantastic, only original member was the drummer who was in a electric scooter, had a great conversation with him a lot Guess Who playing the White House while Nixon was president. This year is the weakest lineup but I am sure we will enjoy it , got a little spoiled with artists on our previous 5 R&R.

• Like 2

A little bit of news from Foreigner:  Mick Jones confessed on the group's social media pages that he has been battling Parkinson's for the last several years and that's why he rarely performs onstage anymore.  I'll link a site with an article that quotes him:  Foreigner's Mick Jones Reveals Parkinson's Disease Battle (consequence.net) .

Sad news.  I really feel for Mr. Jones.  I was hoping against hope that perhaps a cruise would help soften what ailed him and he'd show up for a cameo our little Rock & Romance Cruise.  I've officially given up hope for that now. ☹️  

• Like 1

Finally, the tentative 80s Cruise is out and ready for review.  I'll do a first scan review of the performers and other items that are of interest to me.  But here and now, I'll review the main theater performers each day:

THURSDAY - Soft Cell early and late

FRIDAY - Stephen Pearcy (early) and Debbie Gibson (late)

SATURDAY - Debbie Gibson (early) and Stephen Pearcy (late)

SUNDAY - Sebastian Bach (early) and The English Beat (late)

MONDAY - The English Beat (early) and Sebastian Bach (late)

TUESDAY - Air Supply (early) and 38 Special (late)

WEDNESDAY - 38 Special (early) and Air Supply (late)

• Like 1

It looks like another busy week of running around to concerts and interviews on TEC.  It could be challenging fitting meals in some day, but be assured that I won't starve.  😛  It's sad that I won't get to do the Sheena double, as she's up against Stephen on Friday and there ain't no way I'm missing him live.

Also, keep in mind that this is a tentative list.  I can't be in two places at once, and I'm unlikely to see the same performer twice (with some possible exceptions).

WHEN WHO & WHAT WHERE
Thursday Embark (Back to the 80s)  
400-515p Trial By Fire Pool
715-830p Animotion Studio B
930-1045p Sheena Easton Studio B
1100p-1245a TEC 25 lineup / Jessie's Girl Studio B
Friday at sea (Salute to Sci-Fi)  
900-1015a Breakfast w/Stephen Pearcy Jamie's (11)
1100a-1200p BTM-38 Special Studio B
100-215p Wang Chung Pool
630-800p Stephen Pearcy Theater
715-830p Sheena Easton Studio B
930-1045p Animotion Studio B
Saturday at sea (Camp 80s/Punks and Preps)  
1000-1100a BTM-Sheena Easton Studio B
1230-130p BTM-Stephen Pearcy Star Lounge
200-300p BTM-Wang Chung Studio B
300-400p Wine tasting w/Sheena Easton MDR (3)
630-800p Debbie Gibson Theater
Sunday Aruba (Kick Back and Glow)  
1000-1100a BTM-Debbie Gibson Studio B
715-830p Ray Parker Jr. Studio B
930-1045p Midnight Star Studio B
Monday Curacao (John Hughes Prom)  
330-430p BTM-Air Supply Theater
715-830p Midnight Star Studio B
930-1045p Ray Parker Jr. Studio B
1130p-1245a Wang Chung Studio B
Tuesday at sea (Pop Icon)  
315-400p Auction Studio B