Rock and Romance, 80s Cruise, and my other 2024 music adventures

Honolulu Blue

We saw Air Supply several years ago on R&R they had a huge band on board with a great lead guitar player, the leads took there whole band to a dinner in Tuscan one night when we were there, including several spouses. 

I was surprised that mdr had live music most of the nights on R&R, but we never eat in mdr, three weeks till sailing.

• Like 2

In the latest Jazz Cruises newsletter, it was announced that the McDonald LaBelle Cruise I will be on in April is having a pre-cruise webinar that will explain some things about this cruise and answer some questions.  It will be next Thursday at 3 PM EST.  I'd like to attend, but at that time I plan to be in Port Canaveral... on Mariner of the Seas... soaking up the atmosphere on The 80s Cruise.  I'm sure I'll get to that webinar eventually.

Speaking of TEC, I was thinking about my next concert and how it would almost certainly be on The 80s Cruise.  It looks like there are three choices.  Trial By Fire, the 80s era tribute band, will have a sailaway concert by the pool at 4.  I disliked the pool layout last year on the TEC; only those who were in the pool or lounging by it had a good view of the band.  But maybe I'll brave it and give this a look.

At 7:15 in Studio B is Animotion.  They had a few hits back in the day that I kind of liked.  That's probably enough to sustain me through the rest of the hour.  Besides, the rest of their catalog might surprise me.

At 9:30 in Studio B figures to be one of the highlight concerts for me - Sheena Easton.  It's hard for me to explain how much of an influence her music had on my life in the 80s.  She has a way of making any old song sound really good, which I think is a sign of real talent.  (Carefully scanning the crowd here)  And she's easy on the eyes, which never hurts. 😛

To put it into percentages, I'll put the chance of my first concert being TBF at 10%, Animotion at 50%, and Sheena at 40%.

• Like 1

2 days to go until The 80s Cruise.  I'm almost completely packed for that, just a few last-minute items to fill in.

16 days to go until I join @George C and his Rock and Romance Cruise.  I'm excited about it, but I have to go through the nuttiness of TEC first. 🙃

27 days until jury duty.  😵  I got my updated summons in the mail today.  I filled out my info for that online and think I'm all set.

And it's 44 or so days to go until my McDonald LaBelle Cruise.  I got an e-mail from Jazz Cruises about this.  The cruise booking info is now available at Norwegian's Web site.  It's also available on their app.  With either I can now book excursions, drink packages, and such.  Both the site and the app seem to work well enough from what little poking around I've done so far.  I'll investigate my options later.

I think it's interesting the way Jazz Cruises and NCL are handling flex time dinner dining on this cruise.  Those with blue cards like me (early show, late dining) are suggested to head to one of the dining rooms after the show, 7:30 or so.  They further suggest that we hit the bar and go a bit later to avoid peak times.  Those with red cards (late show, early dining) are suggested to go to the dining room between 5 (opening time) and 5:45.  They further suggest being out of the dining room by 7:15 so they can prep for the blue card crowd.  The dining room is open 5-9 each day.

• Like 1

@NinS: I got am email from Sixthman that says the initial lineup for the Outlaw Country Cruise will be released next week, on March 5.  I don't know who I'm  rooting for to fill that ship. I want you to be happy, so I hope they find the performers that you most want to see. 🙏 When the lineup announcement is made, I'll be kind of busy reliving the 80s. 😎 Be sure to tell me how it goes.

• Like 1

Thanks HB! So when the announcement happens I'll be on another Sixthman cruise, Cayamo, which leaves on Friday. The nice thing about the timing is that if I love the OCC lineup I can go right to the NextCruise desk and buy a certificate to use on my OCC reservation. And if I don't, perhaps you'll see me on UDC, although I might wait it out a bit more to see who gets added to either cruise. 

• Like 1

PS -- Here's the 2024 Flower Power schedule.

https://2024flowerpowercruise.sched.com

John Lodge of the Moody Blues cancelled his land tour and isn't on the final schedule but is said to be recovering nicely so I don't see any changes to the status of his appearance on the 2025 R&R cruise. Tommy James, an oft-requested artist who won't sail OR do two shows in one night, is going to do one big show on the pool and then get off before the ship actually leaves Miami at 7pm. Last time he was booked he did one single show near the port in San Juan and the venue got pretty mixed reviews, so I think most cruisers will be happy to just have him by the pool even if it'll be a crowded affair.

And John Kay of Steppenwolf will be the "on and off" guest doing two shows in port. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, NinS said:

PS -- Here's the 2024 Flower Power schedule.

https://2024flowerpowercruise.sched.com

John Lodge of the Moody Blues cancelled his land tour and isn't on the final schedule but is said to be recovering nicely so I don't see any changes to the status of his appearance on the 2025 R&R cruise. Tommy James, an oft-requested artist who won't sail OR do two shows in one night, is going to do one big show on the pool and then get off before the ship actually leaves Miami at 7pm. Last time he was booked he did one single show near the port in San Juan and the venue got pretty mixed reviews, so I think most cruisers will be happy to just have him by the pool even if it'll be a crowded affair.

And John Kay of Steppenwolf will be the "on and off" guest doing two shows in port. 

John Lodge has been on R&R a few times , he told a funny story , he said his wife knows nothing about what he does and many decades ago he brought home a custom made bass guitar from fender , he asked his wife what she thought about it , she said it was missing two strings.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NinS said:

Thanks HB! So when the announcement happens I'll be on another Sixthman cruise, Cayamo, which leaves on Friday. The nice thing about the timing is that if I love the OCC lineup I can go right to the NextCruise desk and buy a certificate to use on my OCC reservation. And if I don't, perhaps you'll see me on UDC, although I might wait it out a bit more to see who gets added to either cruise. 

You're welcome.

I didn't know you were going to be on Cayamo. Have fun!

I wish I could buy or use future cruise certificates from Celebrity on my StarVista or other charters on that line. Alas,there's not the tight integration between Celebrity and the charter companies it contracts with that Sixthman has with NCL.

• Like 1

I got an e-mail announcing some additions to the R&R lineup for 2025:  Al Stewart, The Ides of March featuring Jim Peterik, The Family Stone, Hal Bruce, The Newbees, and The LSB Experience.  None of them move the needle for me, though I'm sure @George C will be glad to hear about LSB.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I got an e-mail announcing some additions to the R&R lineup for 2025:  Al Stewart, The Ides of March featuring Jim Peterik, The Family Stone, Hal Bruce, The Newbees, and The LSB Experience.  None of them move the needle for me, though I'm sure @George C will be glad to hear about LSB.

Glad you said that , my email went to spam folder. We are cat people and love Al Stewart “The year of the cat” our cat passed recently and planning on getting two kittens when we return from this ten day trip , going to Kentucky to attend a birthday party then fly from there to Miami two days before the cruise. I could do without Hal Bruce , he also has been on every R&R cruise. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, George C said:

Glad you said that , my email went to spam folder. We are cat people and love Al Stewart “The year of the cat” our cat passed recently and planning on getting two kittens when we return from this ten day trip , going to Kentucky to attend a birthday party then fly from there to Miami two days before the cruise. I could do without Hal Bruce , he also has been on every R&R cruise. 

I'm glad to be of assistance.  Thank you for the notes on Mr. Stewart and Mr. Bruce.  I'm sorry about your old cat but have fun with the new kittens!  😺  And have fun with your pre-cruise events! 

I'm not sure how much I'll be posting for the next few weeks between travel to TEC, the cruise itself, a little retreat and R&R back home, the Rock & Romance Cruise, and a little obligation to my county.  I'll try my best.  I do have the Internet package on TEC, which will help.

• Like 1

Joel Mason has I believe been on R&R and I saw him on a Hal cruise a dozen years ago , he passes away at 53 his wife is doing a tribute to him on this cruise he had a Elton John show also Billy Joel .

• Like 1

Here's a short post for a long day, so far. I'll have to cover the rest tomorrow. 

I flew into PC today. Both flights were early and the connection was smooth. 

I used GoPort to go to Terminal 5. There was about a 20 minute wait between me checking in and us getting on board the bus. We left about 10 minutes later for a 45 minute trip to the port.

I found a very, very long line to embark the ship.

20240229_124836.thumb.jpg.d5de6eb79cf51fc4d9b4441ee9f0fa5a.jpg

It took about an hour to get through it, into the terminal,  and on the ship.

Some pieces of paper were waiting for me,  including an updated schedule:

20240229_132722.thumb.jpg.566b5fea53b8ac3e4dc5cd86a8ba00bf.jpg20240229_132715.thumb.jpg.aa13e769d640a7869b0814ad53400927.jpg

I noted no significant changes. 

I went to the buffet for lunch. Perhaps I shouldn't have done that as it was very busy there. The food was all right. 

20240229_141103.thumb.jpg.e5634da64e8c4f244e6496507c61f838.jpg

Im loooking forward to some rest and some sizzling hot concert action. 👍

• Like 1

Good morning! How far behind am I? Very far, I suppose.

Not a lot of time and a lot of ground to cover. 

First, I skipped out on the pool concert,  and went to see Animotion.  They were good, better and more interesting than I expected. 

20240229_193126.thumb.jpg.bf02d5a4e0fa41d799fedd9bbb44efd5.jpg

20240229_191915.thumb.jpg.f8a91f6235bca47530213026fa6304ca.jpg

Then came a briefrest back at the cabin, and the Sheena Easton concert. I got there early and took a place as close as I could to the stage. I was really close, as I hope these pictures show. 

20240229_215450.thumb.jpg.2427aa882f2146069260c13c6ba0414c.jpg20240229_213722.thumb.jpg.15578efbc11c2d2d5a768372f8eb0a87.jpg20240229_221135.thumb.jpg.bc012ae6d7c3404af442a3ef8b1b30b7.jpg20240229_213656.thumb.jpg.a6bda872a377947e50d1b6b76ff2581c.jpg

This was the best concert I've ever seen! Sheena really knows how to run a show. I really liked her banter. I think she's going to be a lot of fun in the Q and A.

Then there was the introduction of the 2025 performers. I will have a lot more to say on this in later, but two 90s songs that came to mind are Disappointed (Electronic) and That Don't Impress Me Much (Shania Twain).

After the intro, we got a concert from tribute band Jessie's Girl. They were good, though they had a very tough act to follow. Bonus points for playing a cover of the third best song in the history of music (IMHO), The Police's Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic.

20240229_232342.thumb.jpg.7c7a94acd13df97dbcb8e7291915b629.jpg

20240229_232729.thumb.jpg.31e51fda88ad71ca2e4093e209c89663.jpg

Then I went to bed.

Gotta run. Q and A coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for keeping us updated, HB! Great to hear that Sheena Easton delivered live. Who is that singing next to her?

Regarding the '25 80s Cruise, if anyone wants to see the lineup HB is referring to it is here:

https://the80scruise.com/lineup/

I've only seen three of the artists: Squeeze, Sheila E, and Kurtis Blow. Sheila is a great entertainer. Squeeze do what they do -- I happen to like their music but of course everyone has their own taste. I saw Kurtis so long ago I don't remember anything about his live show. (It was probably a hip-hop package show where everyone got short sets.)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NinS said:

Thanks for keeping us updated, HB! Great to hear that Sheena Easton delivered live. Who is that singing next to her?

She mentioned his name, but I didn't record or remember it. Sorry. He was the backup/duet singer who played the Prince and Kenny Rogers roles. He was good, with a solid voice.

2 hours ago, NinS said:

Regarding the '25 80s Cruise, if anyone wants to see the lineup HB is referring to it is here:

https://the80scruise.com/lineup/

I've only seen three of the artists: Squeeze, Sheila E, and Kurtis Blow. Sheila is a great entertainer. Squeeze do what they do -- I happen to like their music but of course everyone has their own taste. I saw Kurtis so long ago I don't remember anything about his live show. (It was probably a hip-hop package show where everyone got short sets.)

I'll add a photo I took of the banner that was placed by the buffet:

20240301_085027.thumb.jpg.27b7899707f99206db9c1f446c9896fa.jpg

While I'm here I might as well comment on the lineup as I promised to do earlier. 

First off,  thanks @NinS for your comments. They're always valued highly by me.

OK, first the good news. @George C has commented on seeing Christopher Cross before. I like him too and look forward to seeing him live. Sheila E. would be the third consecutive year of Prince disciples on TEC. I've always been interested in her songs and career, so I'm encouraged by the words of @NinS.  I saw Quiet Riot last year locally (not on a cruise), so I would be quite happy to see them again. Men At Work has always been a favorite of mine.  And... uh, Honeymoon Suite isn't TOTALLY worthless.

This completes the good news.

Let's just say the other artists are of more interest to others than me.

I just wish I got more out of this. They'll improve it in the future, of course, but who knows how and how much.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

And now let's cover the daytime portion of day 2 of The 80s Cruise. The seas have been occasionally choppy and the winds have been high. Thus caused them to cancel Wang Chung's concert by the pool today. I was disappointed,  but they could make up for it by jamming in Studio B sometime. 

Breakfast was a charity thing with Stephen Pearcy. They had us line up outside of Jamie's until they decided to open for us.

20240301_085421.thumb.jpg.e9f745b97582d2d0977885a8c75c253f.jpg

Eventually we all got in. I brought the paper copy of Mr. Pearcy's autobiography and he cheerfully signed it for me. I also posed for photos with him - some for ECP's collection that they promise to release to everyone a few months after this trip, and a couple on my camera. I'll share them with @George C when we meet in a couple of weeks. 

Breakfast was nice, with a simple menu that was prepared while we waited (and there was a bit of a wait). It was very good, a notch better than I would have had at the trough. I had scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, hash browns, water, and orange juice. 

I, solo diner, was paired at a 2 top with another Ratt fan who was solo only for this Breakfast- his spouse liked more mellow music. We talked a bit about this and that, which was fun.

Stephen got up to say a few words near the conclusion of the breakfast. 

20240301_093313.thumb.jpg.c5399eebc4201d7bed37f3e8039a7881.jpg

Everyone got up and left at their own pace after finishing their meals. 

After a bit of catching up, I went to the first Behind the Music Q and A session of this cruise.  This one was for 38 Special.  Alan Hunter was the interviewer.

20240301_105914.thumb.jpg.c64020ce5acad834f7f3fe7a6e298313.jpg

This was interesting and eye opening. I'm glad I went.

image.thumb.jpg.36ba35cb37a6feb342d9947d7009a85e.jpg

There will be several more Q and A sessions of interest later in the cruise. 

There are a few hours until the next event of interest - Stephen Pearcy's concert at 6:30. I wonder if he will play the Out of the Cellar album in its entirety here. We'll find out shortly. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I rested and did some casual work until going to the Stephen Pearcy concert this evening.

20240301_183846.thumb.jpg.f37bbb1d86703f536c400279ff154e90.jpg

His voice isn't quite what it once was, but it was good enough because he had backup from us.

He didn't like how quiet we were, especially in front. We did warm up later on in the show.

20240301_194941.thumb.jpg.c57d7f0f8dc781a6f8c08d403e0cad65.jpg

The theater was pretty full from the start of the show. My seat in row 3 was pretty sweet, but I'm directly behind a guy in a baseball cap that occasionally raised his hands to the music. No complaining, just noting. I know I do many of the same things.

This wasn't quite a playback of Out of the Cellar that I thought might happen. He played the first two, then veered off into hit territory.  He did play a lot from OOTC, but not all.

20240301_190455.thumb.jpg.7716f92b74ec6718f0229df7688458e5.jpg

He missed In Your Direction and She Wants Money from side 1, and Scene of the Crime from side 2. Have I mentioned that She Wants Money is my second favorite Ratt tune? I was probably the only one in the crowd that missed it, but miss it I did.  Mr. Pearcy partially made up for it by including I Want a Woman in this set list.

My overall view is that Mr. Pearcy was very good, but then again, I expected him to be very good. He'll have to settle for second place on the cruise for now.

20240301_190248.thumb.jpg.27e580cd49e77b53465e16acb8b00a35.jpg

Here's a fun story. I was walking out of the buffet after eating there when I saw this guy:

20240301_185339.thumb.jpg.84c009e02bc5e8398155f3ac7e22927e.jpg

He didn't have his instrument,  but he wore the same clothes. We bumped fists and I told him I admired his work onstage. He liked my shirt. He greeted a few others similarly. I was quite surprised that he was alone and that he got away from the stage so quickly to get here.

Fun story #2 - an hour before the Debbie Gibson show, there were several people lining up for it already. What a dedicated bunch.

I took the scenic route back to the cabin. Here's tomorrow's schedule:

20240301_180208.thumb.jpg.ce67440239c85e8761eb82dafd2669a4.jpg20240301_180233.thumb.jpg.edd707446d05323e85e647f49cc6206b.jpg

Sheena's concert that was scheduled for tonight was moved to tomorrow at 7:15. I'm still not going to make it because that interferes with Debbie Gibson's concert.

They also scheduled an autograph session for tomorrow featuring people I don't care about. 

There's plenty to do tomorrow and I plan to chronicle it all then. But for now, have a good evening. 

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'll cover the first part of my day with this post.

In the morning there was the Sheena Easton Q and A session. I tried to get there early, but I was too early and ran into a formidable line. Studio B wasn't open for us yet. 

20240302_093107.thumb.jpg.7431d30dee3cac0ae8706ce504c0110e.jpg

They did eventually open up and let us in. There was seating on the floor and I found something suitable in the second row.

The arena was very near full, similar to the crowd for 38 Special the day before.

Downtown Julie Brown was the host for this.

20240302_100052.thumb.jpg.6df46b72c9f4721c3bea37e0bb54eafb.jpg

Sheena had a frog in her throat, which made it difficult for her to talk at tines. I find it to her credit that she was willing to soldier on and entertain us.

Julie and Sheena covered a wide range of territory, from Sheena's early life and how and why she started singing, to her early success, to her adventures later in life.

20240302_100153.thumb.jpg.ec8e7906a8b9ce3064ceb3d15029ffd2.jpg

It was all very interesting,  as were the questions the audience asked. There was the opportunity for autographs afterwards,  but the line was pretty long.

20240302_105941.thumb.jpg.779eca74994b7cb13aa0dbf45a0ce7b5.jpg

Time moved along, and in the early afternoon, i got the chance to attend Stephen Pearcy's Q and A session. This was in the Star Lounge and filled early, as I expected. 

It was standing room only when Mark Goodman did the introductions. He's on the right in this photo. 

image.thumb.jpg.f616be429cfdc733bc4b55ffb1c99288.jpg

The format for this session was unique- Mr. Pearcy gave Mr. Goodman three songs that were played at certain intervals, and an explanation of why each song was chosen was given by Stephen, with some questions on the way.

The first song was "You Really Got Me " from Van Halen. Stephen explained that the band was a big influence on him and what he did as a band leader. He also became friends with Eddie and David. 

The other two songs were "Desperate But Not Serious" and "Kings of the Wild Frontier", both from Adam Ant (one of the acts on next year's cruise, which was noted). Stephen was influenced by their look at the time, and also some of their drumbeats.

Mr. Pearcy noted that there would be something called the "Sunset Strip Experience". Derails were vague, but it seems to involve him, his band, and other veterans of the LA scene in the 80s performing and perhaps some other stuff. He also teased that he would be releasing another solo album (#6) and the Ratt EP.

Some more hours went by and I went to the Sheena Easton wine tasting. Yes, I really like Sheena Easton. 😛

I got there a little early and guess what? Another line. This one was relatively short because capacity was capped at 100 for this event, which was held on the lower level of the MDR.

20240302_150601.thumb.jpg.0403ca3c7f5339170689042c3310eaa2.jpg

JT was the host, who went around with a microphone for those with questions to ask them of Sheena. There were also a couple of people to explain the wines we were pouring and what to do with the snacks that were around us. 

Sheena didn't do the wine thing as she was on antibiotics. But she certainly took careful notes as each bottle was poured and explained. 

She sounded a little better as she pontificated to us from her high stage and throne.  OK, I exaggerate slightly.

20240302_153918.thumb.jpg.116862514ec21fc78884884b8619e4e4.jpg

This event made me uncomfortable for reasons both obvious and not. None of it was ECP's fault, but it just wasn't my thing.

I appreciated everyone's questions, Sheena's answers, my tablemates, and even the basic education in wine.

Sheena stuck around for autographs and such.  She looked happy to do it and there wasn't much of a line.

20240302_155936.thumb.jpg.64ddea9642490b3e6e10cd7697e6197f.jpg

I didn't have much to say or much for her to autograph, so I took my glass and left.

As I was writing this, JT dropped a bomb on us - My Posse In Effect would be performing at 7:15 in Studio B instead of Sheena Easton. I hope it's not a medical scratch

🤒

This evening I have a couple of concerts, and I'll report on those later on.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning from Aruba! Well, we're almost here - fewer than 50 miles away. We had a clock change last night and it's very quiet around the ship at this time. 

Where were we? Oh yes, last night. I went to the Debbie Gibson concert and it was better than I expected. 

She was introduced by JT, Larry the Duck, and Lori Majewski

20240302_182436.thumb.jpg.adc3d93a1e6719d968330aef320c759b.jpg

20240302_182529.thumb.jpg.72f42357ff3d0142def2a7e9d741a5c1.jpg

Then the star of the show took the stage. She was in fine firm - both her body and voice were in great shape.

20240302_183335.thumb.jpg.1a9abae42da95906eb34f04fad20c0ad.jpg

She had the moves and knew how and when to use them. That made taking pictures a challenge at times, but I didn't mind that.

20240302_192621.thumb.jpg.1db1a091c842d13b9b7f99f5b492ed7d.jpg

She played about half of her Electric Youth songs at this concert, so it wasn't wholly dedicated to that album as I thought it might be. 

In addition to her biggest hits, she played a Motown medley...

20240302_191919.thumb.jpg.deaba4df70740a500e764b580f1577cb.jpg

...and she pulled her biggest fans onstage (all conveniently seated in row 2) so she could perform for them while she was onstage.

20240302_194846.thumb.jpg.308a98845f6dad75c5ba20e880b3a5ef.jpg

This was a fun and enjoyable show.

Then I followed it up with Wang Chung in Studio B. This was another very good show that was better than I expected. 

20240302_223353.thumb.jpg.aa7701f7dc735216adf510a9d17293cb.jpg

The show was about half full when we started, with the dance floor in front less than that. It filled steadily as the songs got more familiar. 

20240302_224803.thumb.jpg.42f7f5f98a0eaf337dd61731478b6cf3.jpg

They were another group that seemed glad to be here, which always helps. They obliquely referred to Sheena Easton. Perhaps she was a medical scratch after all?

After that I headed to bed and reviewed the schedule fir the next day, now today. 

20240302_203224.thumb.jpg.e7fbae3a3cfa8400805a4a68731f7c00.jpg

I have some plans for today. We'll see how they go.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

We're leaving Aruba just now and are on our way to Curacao. Let me discuss my day.

At 10 I went to the Debbie Gibson Q and A. Mark Goodman hosted. 

20240303_100022.thumb.jpg.18a43a758cf07bc13d1925556e9818ea.jpg

Mark used the same 3 song format here as with Mr. Pearcy. Debbie picked a Billy Joel song, one of her own songs, and one from Ben Rector. They each inspired her at different points in her life in somewhat different ways.

20240303_100228.thumb.jpg.d780c682e74e9cb83b425e461ad426ef.jpg

This was another informative interview. One thing Ms. Gibson let slip is that she is working on an autobiography. I'll look for it when it comes out.

Then came a long stretch with a lot of rest. I didn't go out in port at all. It was 85 and sunny. I preferred to take some pictures from the ship.

20240303_184251.thumb.jpg.0ffe0156dac501d57771d6942e1876d9.jpg

I had a modest dinner featuring jerk chicken in the buffet. I thought it was very good.

I then went to see Ray Parker Jr in Studio B. This was a show I wasn't sure how to feel about. He played his biggest hits, but instead of playing his other minor hits, he played songs from others that the either wrote or played guitar on. There was some good stuff, but I'd rather hear his other hits.

20240303_191608.thumb.jpg.f4742c3e2de6a95be02bd02b2248a0c3.jpg

20240303_192529.thumb.jpg.119bfaa2febf309a7c625472131f7ed4.jpg

After a short respite, I went to my last show of the night - Midnight Star. This went more or less as I expected. They put on a good show and I got reacquainted with their old songs. This was the shortest show I've seen on thus trip at 1 hour flat. I didn't mind.

20240303_213448.thumb.jpg.76f1130b10020a71b3f58cca2c4a2154.jpg

20240303_220345.thumb.jpg.0897a25d0ed850ac9bf75da725679019.jpg

Somewhere in here, MJ delivered tomorrow's newsletter and a gift. 

20240303_181308.thumb.jpg.1bd0b80a92191f3a41d4da50893631eb.jpg

20240303_181325.thumb.jpg.a278dd4dfc174a9e3927af59ab2464de.jpg

20240303_181658.thumb.jpg.c50787728dcf0fb71f63015e6517a861.jpg

Thank you and good night. Ill be back tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I just watched the webinar for my McDonald LaBelle Cruise. Let me post the notes on that while they're fresh in my mind:

* Grand poohbah Michael Lazaroff didn't host this one. Three Jazz Cruise staff members did the honors.

* We arrive in Nassau on day 2 at 3 PM and leave on day 3 at 5 PM

* Online check in starts on March 20

* It's recommended for us to print out the boarding pass

* No soft drinks of any kind can be brought onboard 

* Wine can be brought on, though there is a $15 corkage fee for each

* Cabins will generally be ready for occupancy between 2 and 3 on embarkation day 

* For blue card main theater shows, we need to bring the card to get in, doors open at 5, and one seat can be saved per person until showtime at 5:45

* In all venues, photos are ok under two conditions- be respectful and don't use flash. No video is allowed anywhere. 

* The performance venues are Stardust (main), Spinnaker (secondary), pool, Bliss Ultra Lounge (late)

* Attire is casual all cruise with no formal nights. The only theme is a White Night on day 2.

* Venues will be cleared between shows

* The musicians will be all around the ship. We're asked to be respectful to them.

* Included dining - buffet, MDRs, grill, O'Sheehans 

* Specialty dining, all at extra cost - Cagneys (steakhouse), Moderno (Brazilian), LA Cucina (Italian), Sushi Bar, Le Bistro (French). 

• Like 1

Back to The 80s Cruise. I didn't do much today. We were in Curacao. I didn't get off the ship, but I did capture a few pictures of the town.

20240304_080645.thumb.jpg.7c048e403a4b5905bf28df8366eb8630.jpg

I hung out on the outside of deck 4 Starboard side forward. The temperature was nice here and the sun was beaming in the other direction. Best of all, no crowds!

20240304_091259.thumb.jpg.afb76bb1d285088bcffc3290366286de.jpg

We left right at 3 and quickly got up to speed. We're currently going at 22 knots, which makes things a little bumpy around here.

I skipped the afternoon Q and A with Air Supply. I just wasn't feeling it.

For dinner I called room service and ordered a Philly cheesesteak sandwich, some chicken tenders, fries, a fruit plate, and chocolate cake. It was all good and delivered in 35 minutes.

After dinner I got today's gift (drum sticks) and tomorrow's newsletter. 

20240304_174638.thumb.jpg.480aa728d41e98a671c4b807bbe20b44.jpg

20240304_174706.thumb.jpg.abc5d7a405113044f3a8e1a503ea2f82.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.27fa92345eb391e7f2c24c7d5c15802a.jpg

There have been a few changes from the tentative schedule. The Ask ECP session was moved to tomorrow at 10 from the last day. Separate autograph sessions were added for Lori Majewski and Sebastian Bach. 

Other items that I'm interested in for tomorrow haven't changed and I'm sure I'll report on them then.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I got back from the Ask ECP session about an hour ago. This is always a highlight of mine, as much as the concerts and Q and A sessions with the artists. I appreciate the top management at ECP taking time to answer our questions and occasionally getting some well deserved praise.

From top to bottom are cruise director JT, Executive Director Chris Hearing, and Production Manager Joey Fairchild. 

20240305_100110.thumb.jpg.4fbc84324083164da19065eb048ef619.jpg

20240305_100456.thumb.jpg.b0bfc5a049ff7d552ad7d0a0d7987885.jpg

20240305_101411.thumb.jpg.7faf11c0e4bf76c68482f52e80161599.jpg

Here are the items that I'm choosing to highlight:

* The 80s Cruise is not exclusively a rock cruise. Its artist mix has a fair mix of many different genres that were popular in that decade.

* They acknowledge there are a couple of performer spots for 2025 that they plan to fill later

* They're already working on the 2026 lineup

* There's little interest in choosing an embarkation port outside of Florida 

* I asked two questions about The 90s Cruise,  which I will be on next January. First was if they were going to have reserved seating. The answer is no. Second was long term plans to pair TEC and TNC. The answer was less clear, so I guess not in the next few years and possibly not ever.

* One problem noted with switching to an Oasis class ship is that the main theater isn't big enough to split the passengers in half

* Getting a suitable ship at the times required is more important than I thought. Only about 14 meet their standards for stages, theater size, etc.

* Miami Sound Machine was mentioned as a possible addition. It was all I could do to control myself from causing an incident. 🤬 MSM is NOT a favorite of mine, though Expose is, go figure. 

IMG_20220227_183508.thumb.jpg.05ce7ae4a946f1428a4f03cb41bb055b.jpg

* The point was made to fill out the survey with any suggestions - especially performers

* There used to be actors from the 80s onboard, but us passengers told them we'd rather ECP spent its money on more and better performers

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1