How does the Joy compare to other NCL ships

McFins

Hi folks.  Love the Escape, Breakaway, Gem and Pearl.  Wondering about the Joy?  Though typically I get a Thermal Suite pass, I know that is not an option on the Joy.  Depending on itinerary, perhaps I wouldn’t miss it.   What did you like best (or not so much) about the Joy?  I prefer to leave out of NY when possible so thinking of trying it. 
Thanks as always for your great insight. 

2 hours ago, McFins said:

Hi folks.  Love the Escape, Breakaway, Gem and Pearl.  Wondering about the Joy?  Though typically I get a Thermal Suite pass, I know that is not an option on the Joy.  Depending on itinerary, perhaps I wouldn’t miss it.   What did you like best (or not so much) about the Joy?  I prefer to leave out of NY when possible so thinking of trying it. 

I really enjoy time in the Observation Lounge and they have the larger version on the Joy (vs. the smaller one on the Prima). Added bonus is there is a Starbucks in the OL on the Joy, if you enjoy that. I am a Thermal Suite person so was concerned I would miss it but I managed. It will really depend on the itinerary you take (mine was warm weather so the Waterfront was a nice quiet place to sit also). There really wasn't anything I didn't like about the Joy, other than the fact that there were 4300 people onboard, which is the most I have sailed with since September 2021...that was a bit of an adjustment but I will take it to be on a ship. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, McFins said:

It is better than all ships mentioned. It has all of the features of the Escape (less thermal suite) with 1 deck fewer passengers. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

It is better than all ships mentioned. It has all of the features of the Escape (less thermal suite) with 1 deck fewer passengers. 

I didn't realize that about 1 deck fewer passengers. Interesting. 

I sailed Joy last summer and will again this summer. 

Thermal spa is never for me in warm itineraries so I didn't miss it and I like the combination of having Spice and the OL. It's kind of the sweet spot between the escape and encore. 

Entertainment and staff were also great on Joy. 

Looking forward to July. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I really enjoy time in the Observation Lounge and they have the larger version on the Joy (vs. the smaller one on the Prima). Added bonus is there is a Starbucks in the OL on the Joy, if you enjoy that. I am a Thermal Suite person so was concerned I would miss it but I managed. It will really depend on the itinerary you take (mine was warm weather so the Waterfront was a nice quiet place to sit also). There really wasn't anything I didn't like about the Joy, other than the fact that there were 4300 people onboard, which is the most I have sailed with since September 2021...that was a bit of an adjustment but I will take it to be on a ship. 

Thanks debenson. I may give it a try.   Have an upcoming on the Prima which will be the first ship with an OL for me.  

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Thanks as always Bird. Wow that’s a nice surprise!   Especially since I love the Escape.  Didn’t realize about the 1 deck less fewer passengers,  That’s impactful. 

1 hour ago, bkrickles1 said:

I didn't realize that about 1 deck fewer passengers. Interesting. 

I sailed Joy last summer and will again this summer. 

Thermal spa is never for me in warm itineraries so I didn't miss it and I like the combination of having Spice and the OL. It's kind of the sweet spot between the escape and encore. 

Entertainment and staff were also great on Joy. 

Looking forward to July. 

Thanks Bk.  It sounds really nice.  Enjoy your trip in July! 

I enjoyed the Joy.  Nearly identical to the Bliss and Encore. I'd say Bliss is my #1 and #2 is between the Joy and Escape.  OL and Waterfront are both fantastic places to pass some time, Waterfront is probably one of my favorite features on this class of ship.

Any of the Breakaway+ category ships are nice.  Joy has a few idiosyncrasies, despite being overhauled, since it was designed for the Asian market.  I personally love the big circular bar in the Observation Lounge on other ships.  That doesn't exist on the Joy; it's a walk-up bar.  They don't have Studio cabins, if that applies to you, and you already noted the spa, which is another big difference.

I've not yet been on the Prima. I'd say the Bliss is my favorite of the ships I've been on, but the Joy is pretty close.  I wouldn't hesitate to book the Joy (in fact, I have a cruise upcoming in November!)

12 hours ago, hallux said:

I enjoyed the Joy.  Nearly identical to the Bliss and Encore. I'd say Bliss is my #1 and #2 is between the Joy and Escape.  OL and Waterfront are both fantastic places to pass some time, Waterfront is probably one of my favorite features on this class of ship.

Thanks Hallux.  I’ll have to put the Bliss on the list too! 

11 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Any of the Breakaway+ category ships are nice.  Joy has a few idiosyncrasies, despite being overhauled, since it was designed for the Asian market.  I personally love the big circular bar in the Observation Lounge on other ships.  That doesn't exist on the Joy; it's a walk-up bar.  They don't have Studio cabins, if that applies to you, and you already noted the spa, which is another big difference.

I've not yet been on the Prima. I'd say the Bliss is my favorite of the ships I've been on, but the Joy is pretty close.  I wouldn't hesitate to book the Joy (in fact, I have a cruise upcoming in November!)

Thanks Philly. Enjoy your upcoming cruise! 

12 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I totally agree about the circular bar in the OL. It was one of my favorites on Encore and drew me there more often because of it. With that being said, drink service wherever I sat up there was pretty good without getting up from my comfy seat. The snacks available all day were a pretty good draw too. Lol!

We have our first sailing on the Joy next month.  Our favorite is the Bliss, followed by the Encore, so we are eager to see how the Joy compares.  Our sailing is almost sold out so this will also add something to the mix as our last 2 sailings were in 2022 with 60-70% capacity!  Cruising is back! 😄

• I've sailed 3 away class ships.  Getaway, Escape and Joy.  By far Joy would be my least favorite...go cart track is a novelty that takes up deck space.  The gaming/simulator area would have been better if half the machines weren't down.  Spice H20 seems smaller, and the giant hot tub is wasted on me in the Caribbean.  I won't even begin to try and explain the pool deck layout...I realized they could only change so much, but wow, this needs fixing.  The front lounge was nice if you wanted to take a nap in the middle of the day.  I saw way too many feet and  people snoring for my tastes. 
  •  
  • I think the Joy needs to be in the cooler climates...

Edited by PTC DAWG

We cruised a 15 day Panama on the Joy, early this year and enjoyed our first big ship experience. This was our 8th cruise but first on a larger ship so no way to compare with the other Bliss class. As mentioned, the Joy was designed for the Asian market but after a couple years it it was repurposed. We were told this is why no thermal spa or solo cabins. It also explained the atypical pool deck that has a wide open, central area (for group exercises). We enjoyed how they used that area for evening movies. Each ship is a bit unique and that makes each cruise unique. To us, that's a good thing.