Cunard Bears in Long Beach

fourmile.ranch

I promise I've tried to answer my own question! I've been watching videos people have posted of the gift shops onboard Queen Mary in Long Beach. Now that she's reopening I am looking at overnighting in November. What is motivating me is the ability to add QM to the list of Cunard ships I've been on... with a corresponding Bear. In the screenshot attached, I can see Bears in the window. Does anyone know if these would be general Cunard Bears, specific QM Bears or something else entirely? Thanks for the insight of anyone who's been onboard.Screenshot_20230416-090631.thumb.png.ef119711c7cdda65e19d513cdfe28226.png

@fourmile.ranch Thank you for doing this research! The picture below shows the only Cunard bear available on the December TA. It does not have a specific name. It looks different from what you are seeing. I hope you score one for your collection, and I hope they are still available for our cruise in June.

B0449720-A2D6-45A9-BE79-DA880BFC9280.jpeg

What's shown in that video does not match any of the bears I've seen offered on board QM2. I would expect the bears offered on board the Queen Mary in Long Beach to be specific to the Queen Mary.

There is a photo for "Shopping Onboard The Queen Mary" on yelp which shows a different display of bears, but I think they are the same style of bears as seen in the video. Those bears appear to have "RMS Queen Mary" written on them.

There are additional images of bears posted on the facebook page for "The Queen Mary Store". The bears on that page are different from those in the video, but they also have "RMS Queen Mary" written on their shirts.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, techteach said:

@bluemarble The bear in my picture was the only bear for sale on our voyage.

Right. That's the generic Cunard bear known as the "Teddy Gilet". Over the years there have been other Cunard bears on offer including some that have the ship name written on them. And then there is the series of annual Cunard bears that have been for sale on board the ships. The 2022 bear was "Arthur". I'm waiting to hear if anyone has spotted a 2023 annual bear yet.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, techteach said:

@fourmile.ranch Thank you for doing this research! The picture below shows the only Cunard bear available on the December TA. It does not have a specific name. It looks different from what you are seeing. I hope you score one for your collection, and I hope they are still available for our cruise in June.

B0449720-A2D6-45A9-BE79-DA880BFC9280.jpeg

@techteach We have the same QM2 Bear, ship is named on the reverse of the jacket. Sounds like a good possibility there are bears carrying the name of the original Queen Mary. Now I can continue to plan. Thanks for everyone's help.

PXL_20230416_171340668.jpg

Edited by fourmile.ranch
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, fourmile.ranch said:

@techteach We have the same QM2 Bear, ship is named on the reverse of the jacket. Sounds like a good possibility there are bears carrying the name of the original Queen Mary. Now I can continue to plan. Thanks for everyone's help.

PXL_20230416_171340668.jpg

Ah, thanks for that clarification. I guess I never noticed Queen Mary 2 was written on the back of the Teddy Gilet bear for sale on QM2 (or more likely I just forgot). I'm not a collector myself. Just like to keep track of all the bears that have been on offer over the years.

• Like 1