quick review of Breakaway Haven western Caribbean from NOLA

rjm11

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review."

rjm11 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

We just got back from the last western Caribbean trip on the Breakaway for this season. In short- we had a great time. To expand- here are some random thoughts:

1. Food: we had all meals in the Haven restaurant or specialty restaurants (Cagneys, Ocean Blue, Teppenyaki, Le Bistro). All were great- the service and food in the haven area was excellent. Ocean Blue stood out as excellent as well. Note: our 15 year old son was not allowed to wear shorts- he was asked to change. My fault for not anticipating that- I think I still think of him as a young boy! So make sure your teen children follow the dress code.

2. Beverage package- we brought on our own wine and enjoyed not having to pay corkage. The new "rules" for beverage plus were that any wine sold by the glass can also be given to you by the bottle. We had no issues with that at lunch or dinner. We also tried several cocktails all from the haven bar.

3. Service: excellent in all areas. Very happy crew, no issues as all.

4. Haven: I read a lot about the Breakaway haven beforehand and some concerns about the restaurant being too small- and people being "forced" to eat next to the dripping wet people on the pool deck. In reality, the tables set up by the pool deck were very very popular, and often the first ones requested. There was never an issue getting a table inside the haven restaurant itself, and many seemed to prefer the "outdoor" seating area. The bartenders were great- and the there was quick service in all areas of the pool deck and sun deck with many servers. We also used the spa services right in the haven- we scheduled massages with the concierge and had them in the treatment rooms right in the Haven- very nice and convenient.

5. Ports- Costa Maya we were scheduled to go to Maya Chan but they actually cancelled all guests because the recent winds had brought too much seagrass for them to be able to clean it up for us. We did a catamaran snorkeling with NCL instead- it was only OK. The snorkeling itself was actually better than I expected, but the boat was tired, crowded, and uncomfortable, as was the bus ride to the marina. For the price ($99 per person) I wouldn't do it again. Belize: we enjoyed the beach and swimming. Roatan: Maya Key with NCL. We have been there many times for the snorkeling. It did not disappoint once again- the snorkeling there is excellent and very easy. We got there early, snorkeled for almost 3 hours, and then headed back to the ship. Cozumel: Private snorkeling charter with Chi Chi charters. I haven't seen them reviewed here before- they were fantastic. VERY reasonably priced for a private 36 foot catamaran, 4 hour tour with 4 different stops and a fantastic lunch of guacamole, pico de gallo, tuna sashimi, and ceviche all made on board. And full open bar. The snorkeling guide/first mate was excellent and we had a great day with them- I would definitely book this again.

6. Entertainment: we did enjoy both Six, and Burn the Floor, and the dueling pianos one evening. The magician/comedian act the first night was only OK- he did a lot of card tricks that didn't work in that size theater.

In short we had a great time- I know this was the last of this cruise for the season, but if any of you headed on the Breakaway in Europe coming up have Haven questions I'm happy to try to answer them.

• Like 2

Happy that you had a great cruise. We were on the Breakaway last fall in the Haven and had the same thoughts on all areas. The Haven bartenders were often making our drinks before we got to the bar (we're very predictable and set in our ways). 

1 hour ago, aroundtheriverbend said:

Thanks for the review!  Did all restaurants not allow shorts, or only certain ones?  First cruise on NCL in about 10 weeks. 

I think it was Cagney's Le Bistro, and Ocean Blue that did not allow shorts. We did go to Cagney's and they didn't say anything about it (mind you he was in dressy linen shorts with a button down shirt and dressy shoes) but a similar outfit and Ocean Blue was sent back. As the mom I felt bad that I didn't anticipate this- it would have saved him some embarrassment.

• Like 1

Wow on the shorts not being allowed at ocean Blue. Especially for teenager. We have certainly gone to cagney’s in shorts.  Thought it was just LeBistro that had that rule. 
dis you guys eat at Maya Key?  We went once and the meal was awesome.

19 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

Wow on the shorts not being allowed at ocean Blue. Especially for teenager. We have certainly gone to cagney’s in shorts.  Thought it was just LeBistro that had that rule. 
dis you guys eat at Maya Key?  We went once and the meal was awesome.

We have been to Maya Key a bunch of times and agree that the lunch is really good. This time we snorkeled from about 9:30 until noon, and it was pretty crowded on Maya Key with both the Breakaway and the Oasis of the Seas in port- so we decided to head back to the ship for lunch. That Haven lunch menu was calling our names! 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, KristieB said:

I've read from a few people that the NOLA port is a bit of a mess, especially early in the day. Did you find that to be true? I'm starting to think we shouldn't get there early like we normally do.

In February, we arrived at the port about 10:30am.  There were a lot of people because the previous week was still disembarking.  But the line for security and the line for check in went quickly.  It helps to know that the line for taxis for those disembarking and the line for those embarking can cross, so be sure to get in the right line.  

Once we checked in, we waited about half an hour before boarding started.