Sailing on Rhapsody Questions

Hi - we are UK based and on back to back Rhapsody cruises from 23rd April to 16th May 🙂 

It's been almost 10 years since we went on an RC ship (only been on Serenade once before) and I had a few of questions:

- If we have pre-purchased the deluxe drink package, do we need to do anything to register it when we get on the ship like on some cruise lines or will it already be automatically on our cruise cards?

- Does the deluxe drink package include all drinks on board or if not what is the price limit?

- I have seen some posts on the internet stating that Rhapsody has Starlink internet but the RC app still says Voom?  Does it indeed have Starlink and if so is it noticeably better than the old systems?

- Can you buy short term internet while on board e.g. for 24 hours?  I would like to get internet access but I don't need it for the entire period?

- How is the availability on on board dining generally other than the MDR?  I've found on some other cruise lines that some of the restaurants are already fully booked before you even get on.  Is this also the case with RC?

- If we have bid on Royal up when do we find out whether we were successful of not, and also around what time would we need to change rooms if we for example get Royal up on one but not the other?

- Do we have to get off the ship in Miami even if we are continuing to the next cruise?

- Generally do you have recommendations for the specialty restaurants - is there one that is a "must not miss" experience?

16 minutes ago, Javert1969 said:

Does the deluxe drink package include all drinks on board or if not what is the price limit?

- I have seen some posts on the internet stating that Rhapsody has Starlink internet but the RC app still says Voom?  Does it indeed have Starlink and if so is it noticeably better than the old systems?

- Can you buy short term internet while on board e.g. for 24 hours?  I would like to get internet access but I don't need it for the entire period?

$14 (without grats) is the limit for drinks.

There are few reports from Rhapsody about Voom but she has switched to Starlink - figure the usual improvement, much lower latency (which leads to real performance improvement for most uses).

Yes, a 24 hour package should be available, but only on board.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Javert1969 said:

If we have bid on Royal up when do we find out whether we were successful of not, and also around what time would we need to change rooms if we for example get Royal up on one but not the other?

Do we have to get off the ship in Miami even if we are continuing to the next cruise?

The best indicator of a Royal Up win is a charge on your credit card - can come anytime time between bid and after sail away. The B2B process will be detailed in a letter on board.

Very likely, yes, you will need to disembark in Miami.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

Hi, with ref to Miami,

Some time ago we had a B2B on the Liberty and we kept the same rooms. We were able to get off at Miami with our sea pass, go to the South beach for the day, then return to the port and show our sea pass card at the terminal and explain we were on a B2B and they let us skip the line and re-enter the ship.

Not sure if this is still the case now though. 

If you do keep the same room for both parts of your cruise, then it may be worth nipping to guest relations before arriving in Miami and ask them what the procedure is for either staying on board (I am sure they used to let guests stay in a designated part of the ship until lunch) or how to re-board if you get off without having to go through all the boarding stuff again.

BTW Rhapsody is a small but really nice ship. We had done several cruises on her when she was based in Venice.

Enjoy!

Mick.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mick B said:

Hi, with ref to Miami,

Some time ago we had a B2B on the Liberty and we kept the same rooms. We were able to get off at Miami with our sea pass, go to the South beach for the day, then return to the port and show our sea pass card at the terminal and explain we were on a B2B and they let us skip the line and re-enter the ship.

Not sure if this is still the case now though. 

If you do keep the same room for both parts of your cruise, then it may be worth nipping to guest relations before arriving in Miami and ask them what the procedure is for either staying on board (I am sure they used to let guests stay in a designated part of the ship until lunch) or how to re-board if you get off without having to go through all the boarding stuff again.

BTW Rhapsody is a small but really nice ship. We had done several cruises on her when she was based in Venice.

Enjoy!

Mick.

Lol - best not tell my wife it's a "small ship" when we are going transatlantic 😉

We were on the March 19 Sailing. We went to same bar every night. Got to know the bar tenders. They did say that they were starting to go over the inspection they will be going through when they get to Miami. Not sure how that will effect boarding and B2B.

Star link was running. Speed test from our room towards the back of ship was 4 to  5 mb up and down. The speed and connection was never really fast in our room entire trip.The speed towards the Centrum and more popular areas was in the 90 to 105 mb range. On disembarkation day it was almost impossible to stay or get connected. I think everyone was try to do boarding passes check flights ect. 

We did not plan any speciality restaurants. On my wife’s Birthday we wanted to book chops for a day of reservation. It was limited availability but was bookable for $53 U.S pp. We passed and went to our My Time Dining reservation. We each ordered the filet  mignon at $19.99Came with sides it was just as good and half the price of going  to Chops.

Hope this helps with your decisions.

• Like 1

Hi,

I wouldn't tell your wife its a small ship either.

BTW a say a small ship, but its still slightly bigger than what the Titanic was!

And I certainly wouldn't tell her that either - especially if you are crossing the Atlantic of all places!

With ref the Chops, I think it depends on your loyalty status, my wife and I are D+ and I am sure there is a BOGOF offer at Chops but only on the first couple of days.

Like someone said here, you can order Chops food at the MDR for basically half the price. In fact now the Lobster tails are roughly the same price as a steak (for any additional ones), you could instead order a Chops on Lobster night and get a lot more value for your money.

As for the Inspection, I could guess that this is the US Coastguard coming aboard to inspect everyone's passports before docking, just to make sure all is in order.

If anyone know differently, please correct me.

Mick.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mick B said:

Hi,

I wouldn't tell your wife its a small ship either.

BTW a say a small ship, but its still slightly bigger than what the Titanic was!

And I certainly wouldn't tell her that either - especially if you are crossing the Atlantic of all places!

With ref the Chops, I think it depends on your loyalty status, my wife and I are D+ and I am sure there is a BOGOF offer at Chops but only on the first couple of days.

Like someone said here, you can order Chops food at the MDR for basically half the price. In fact now the Lobster tails are roughly the same price as a steak (for any additional ones), you could instead order a Chops on Lobster night and get a lot more value for your money.

As for the Inspection, I could guess that this is the US Coastguard coming aboard to inspect everyone's passports before docking, just to make sure all is in order.

If anyone know differently, please correct me.

Mick.

No problem I think she'll be fine - she tends to go by the #pax as the guide and we've been on smaller ones before.

Can you clarify on the lobster comment?  I remember last time we were on RC, there was a lobster night in the MDR where lobster was free, and (madly) you could order as many extra ones as you wanted.  I guess you are saying that you only get one for free and you have to pay if you want more now?

ref the Lobster tails...

Just before the new year when I last cruised, on Lobster night you were given 1 lobster tail but the waiters would soon be round to offer 1 or even 2 more if you wished and I always had 3, not because I am a pig but because 1 or 2 simply didn't fill me up the same way any other nights menu would such as the lamb shank.

Now, RCI are limiting the free Lobster to 1 tail per person and then you have to pay $$$ for any extra. To me, this now makes having this meal null and void (as explained above), so I will now choose something else. The point under these circumstances is that for roughly the same price as ordering a second lobster tail, you could now order a chops fillet steak which would only be a few $s more, but be more filling and therefore, more worth the extra money.

Just my opinion here, but just watch this space as more and more passengers either chose not to have the lobster and pick another dish off the menu, or pay for a chops instead. Maybe this is Royal's master plan, who knows!

I wonder too how many couples are going to order a Lobster tail just to give to their spouse and then order something else as a main instead. There are always ways around things if you try. I bet the waiters are not going to try to stop you doing this given that this event is normally on the last night and that is when the waiters are hoping for those envelopes from you with any extra gratuities inside!

Mick.

19 minutes ago, Mick B said:

ref the Lobster tails...

Just before the new year when I last cruised, on Lobster night you were given 1 lobster tail but the waiters would soon be round to offer 1 or even 2 more if you wished and I always had 3, not because I am a pig but because 1 or 2 simply didn't fill me up the same way any other nights menu would such as the lamb shank.

Now, RCI are limiting the free Lobster to 1 tail per person and then you have to pay $$$ for any extra. To me, this now makes having this meal null and void (as explained above), so I will now choose something else. The point under these circumstances is that for roughly the same price as ordering a second lobster tail, you could now order a chops fillet steak which would only be a few $s more, but be more filling and therefore, more worth the extra money.

Just my opinion here, but just watch this space as more and more passengers either chose not to have the lobster and pick another dish off the menu, or pay for a chops instead. Maybe this is Royal's master plan, who knows!

I wonder too how many couples are going to order a Lobster tail just to give to their spouse and then order something else as a main instead. There are always ways around things if you try. I bet the waiters are not going to try to stop you doing this given that this event is normally on the last night and that is when the waiters are hoping for those envelopes from you with any extra gratuities inside!

Mick.

OK but I guess there is nothing to stop you from ordering the lobster but then asking for an additional main from the list which is always free?

Hi,

Yes, you can normally order more than 1 main. Unless they stop that too.

However, sometimes finding something else on that nights menu that goes with the lobster may be difficult or not very pleasing. Simply not bothering and ordering something else entirely would be my choice, unless my wife orders a lobster and gives it to me. She doesn't like them and doesn't see the appeal like I do.

Another thing here is if you normally like say 3 lobsters then going to a sea food restaurant on the ship (if it has one) instead and then paying for all their lovely sea food may now work out cheaper than paying for 2 additional lobsters!

Again a win for RCI.

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
  • Like 1

Just off Rhapsody on the 16th.

Yes to Starlink.  However, we had the occasional dropped connection (Deck 8, Port side).

24 hr internet package available.  Also, some ports have either free connections or a $2 charge.

To the lobster comments, I didn’t see any on the menus other than the $ 16.99 one. I expected regular lobster on the Dress To Impress night, but there were two shrimp dishes.

• Like 1