IONA - Shopping range

Powellj3

Hi All,

I have a 14 day cruise coming up with an awful lot of OBC.  In fact nearly as much as we had on our recently completed 35 day cruise on Ventura.  Even on that cruise we didn't spend all of the OBC and ended up using it up on Jewellery in the shop.  We pre-book many of our trips as they sell out so fast.  So I do not expect to be able to spend the OBC on this shorter cruise.

My question - what are the shops like on Iona - over and above the choices on the smaller, older ships?  please.

On Ventura, there was the usual super expensive clothes and handbag shops.  Watches at astronomical prices and jewellery and more than highstreet.  Though many of these seemed to have regular "sales" which brought them closer to highstreet.  There was also the daftest "tech" shop.  Which sold speakers, earphones and fitness watches.  Who would buy those on holiday!  I left my fitbit behind because on a transatlantic crossing the regular time changes made it useless.

It would be great if the company who has the franchise had a  website to preview the goods.  Maybe even allow you to special order a new lens for my camera to use onboard!

Thanks

I am afraid it is the norm as all other ships and no great difference from the expensive watches, Hannah's and jewellery. In fact the shops seemed to be empty most of the time except for the last day when it was on obvious people were getting rid off OBC.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I am afraid it is the norm as all other ships and no great difference from the expensive watches, Hannah's and jewellery. In fact the shops seemed to be empty most of the time except for the last day when it was on obvious people were getting rid off OBC.

Sorry should have been handbags and not Hannah's, predictive text to blame 😁

7 hours ago, devonuk said:

Just remember that a tax has to be paid on any spending over your import allowance. Therefore those expensive on board watches aren’t actually as cheap as they seem. 

Correct but how many actually declare it and many forget it is not actual for single item. If your total spend is over the allowance then you are suppose to go through red channel but don't think many actually do.

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Correct but how many actually declare it and many forget it is not actual for single item. If your total spend is over the allowance then you are suppose to go through red channel but don't think many actually do.

Never been through a red channel yet. When disembarking is there an actual customs to go through? I may be getting old but I cannot recollect one in all my cruises from the UK.

I didn’t think much to the shops, but they did have a good book selection which weren’t massively overpriced (more WHSmith prices than The Works!) and the perfume/make-up/skincare shop had a decent collection (not the cheapest, but not that much different to the prices in John Lewis etc). They also had a shop that changed daily, a souvenir type shop, and one selling Jellycat teddies etc which might be good for Christmas presents etc.

12 hours ago, devonuk said:

Just remember that a tax has to be paid on any spending over your import allowance. Therefore those expensive on board watches aren’t actually as cheap as they seem. 

Does anyone ever declare their purchases made abroad?

5 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

Never been through a red channel yet. When disembarking is there an actual customs to go through? I may be getting old but I cannot recollect one in all my cruises from the UK.

At Southampton like at any port there is a green channel and a red channel at the end of the luggage hall.

11 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I bought a very expensive watch abroad recently when ashore off a cruise ship. Yes, I paid the full duty and did it online as I was more than 5 days from home. Therefore no need to declare when arriving back in the UK. So I now have a legal acquisition in my possession and have no issues with insuring it etc. Then, if I lose it or it gets stolen I can make a claim because a loss adjuster cannot turn down the claim on tax issues. Now, if it’s not legally held then potentially bang goes your hard earned £0000’s you spent out on your watch. Yes, you paid 20% tax plus the fee on top of your initial outlay but the peace of mind is worth it.

Even watchfinder ask for proof of your tax payment if it was purchased abroad if you want to trade it through them. Now, if you buy the watch onboard this sale is recorded and available to the authorities ashore. Buy a £20k Rolex onboard and there’s a good chance you may get stopped. 
I recently entered the UK on a ship which stopped at Gibraltar on the way back. The large number of officials at Southampton searching passengers was the most I’ve ever seen in the UK, either port or airport. This is because the ship was targeted due to the fact that it stopped at Gib, whereas my Norway cruise last week had no one searching. Go figure 🤷‍♂️

Its also worth noting that a watch can be traced through its import export transactions and the watch I bought in the Caribbean involved export forms having to be completed prior to leaving the Island. 
In conclusion….

Expensive item - I’d advise to pay the duty as no issues later. 
Cheap item - where issues later won’t matter then don’t bother. But the risk is if you’re caught then you have to possibly pay the duty, the fee and a fine PLUS the risk of confiscation of the item. 
Also, every time you wear your nice new glistening watch in and out of the Country you run the risk of it’s ‘history’ being questioned 😬

Hope this helps as the info will not be freely given to you by any of the jewellers, watch dealers etc. on board. 

We went on Iona earlier this year.  We couldn't find much we actually wanted to buy and even though the jewellery was nice, even with discount you can buy cheaper off the ship.  I would spend the money on the Retreat and the spa

• Like 1

Got stopped randomly at Gatwick years ago after an Orlando holiday where all three suitcases were virtually dismantled by customs officials. We had random purchases not much above the legal allowances but also three pairs of Ray Ban Wayfarer sunglasses bought on our previous trip a few months before. As we couldn't prove the sunglasses were not new purchases we were taxed on everything we had bought plus them. They even taxed a WWF doll my then 7 year old niece was carrying and the tshirts on our backs.  Most definitely not something I'd want to go through again and also we had to pay tax on tye tax as it was import plus VAT.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 8:41 PM, devonuk said:

Hope this helps as the info will not be freely given to you by any of the jewellers, watch dealers etc. on board. 

100% true especially the insurance implications of not declaring an item such as a watch. 

Should the worst happen I’d imagine it will come as an unpleasant shock to find that insurance companies have no obligation to cover something that has been smuggled into the UK…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, funinhounslow said:

100% true especially the insurance implications of not declaring an item such as a watch. 

Should the worst happen I’d imagine it will come as an unpleasant shock to find that insurance companies have no obligation to cover something that has been smuggled into the UK…

The naivety of some certainty catches up with them 😬 Not knowing is unfortunately no defence. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 8:41 PM, devonuk said:

I bought a very expensive watch abroad recently when ashore off a cruise ship. Yes, I paid the full duty and did it online as I was more than 5 days from home. Therefore no need to declare when arriving back in the UK. So I now have a legal acquisition in my possession and have no issues with insuring it etc. Then, if I lose it or it gets stolen I can make a claim because a loss adjuster cannot turn down the claim on tax issues. Now, if it’s not legally held then potentially bang goes your hard earned £0000’s you spent out on your watch. Yes, you paid 20% tax plus the fee on top of your initial outlay but the peace of mind is worth it.

Even watchfinder ask for proof of your tax payment if it was purchased abroad if you want to trade it through them. Now, if you buy the watch onboard this sale is recorded and available to the authorities ashore. Buy a £20k Rolex onboard and there’s a good chance you may get stopped. 
I recently entered the UK on a ship which stopped at Gibraltar on the way back. The large number of officials at Southampton searching passengers was the most I’ve ever seen in the UK, either port or airport. This is because the ship was targeted due to the fact that it stopped at Gib, whereas my Norway cruise last week had no one searching. Go figure 🤷‍♂️

Its also worth noting that a watch can be traced through its import export transactions and the watch I bought in the Caribbean involved export forms having to be completed prior to leaving the Island. 
In conclusion….

Expensive item - I’d advise to pay the duty as no issues later. 
Cheap item - where issues later won’t matter then don’t bother. But the risk is if you’re caught then you have to possibly pay the duty, the fee and a fine PLUS the risk of confiscation of the item. 
Also, every time you wear your nice new glistening watch in and out of the Country you run the risk of it’s ‘history’ being questioned 😬

Additionally, for any BLC holders:  You can get 20% discount buying a watch etc from Goldsmiths online with free delivery.    The discount on Hamilton watches on Arvia last month was just over 17%.  Spoke with the shop manager re price matching, said he couldn't do that in that circumstance.

19 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Additionally, for any BLC holders:  You can get 20% discount buying a watch etc from Goldsmiths online with free delivery.    The discount on Hamilton watches on Arvia last month was just over 17%.  Spoke with the shop manager re price matching, said he couldn't do that in that circumstance.

Just about every decent watch brand from Rolex to TAG Heuer are not actually discounted with a BLC by Goldsmiths, if you check the T&C’s. I found this out with some sadness recently when promising my wife a particularly nice watch 😟

• Like 1

15 hours ago, devonuk said:

Just about every decent watch brand from Rolex to TAG Heuer are not actually discounted with a BLC by Goldsmiths, if you check the T&C’s. I found this out with some sadness recently when promising my wife a particularly nice watch 😟

Thanks.  I re-checked the T & Cs, and realised that I wouldn't be able to get the discount on the Rolex that was tempting me either.  I ended up getting the Hamilton on board in the end.  A combination of vouchers being issued for use in the shops and 10% Peninsula discount made it worthwhile