What happened to Brilliant Lady

Wildcatllamas

2 minutes ago, PhilK2000 said:

7 days between LIS and AMS makes sense . With stops in Brest and Vigo for example . But for both I can’t find data in 2024 . 
i also think that another stop could be Portsmouth where everything „started“ 

We appreciate you digging around the port schedules. Danke!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

We appreciate you digging around the port schedules. Danke!

I can’t stop looking for some evidence . I should buy flight tickets as prices are ok now but that just gives me no peace . And I don’t want to lose the suite where I paid a ridiculous small amount . This all makes me crazy to be honest . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PhilK2000 said:

I can’t stop looking for some evidence . I should buy flight tickets as prices are ok now but that just gives me no peace . And I don’t want to lose the suite where I paid a ridiculous small amount . This all makes me crazy to be honest . 

I'd buy tickets if they are changeable/cancellable with no fees for sure. Hold on to your cruise reservation (have you paid in full yet?) since I expect we will get some kind of compensation if it's changed/cancelled even if it's just some FCC.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

I'd buy tickets if they are changeable/cancellable with no fees for sure. Hold on to your cruise reservation (have you paid in full yet?) since I expect we will get some kind of compensation if it's changed/cancelled even if it's just some FCC.

Yes I hold the cruise for sure . It is fully paid as they obviously only give the additional voucher depending on how much you have paid . 
Flexible flight tickets are more expensive . Last time they canceled my cruise we got additional funds for the flights as they were not changeable/ flexible . 

• Like 1

The days of flight compensation for cancelled cruises is over, with a few exceptions for cruises cancelled within a few days or weeks of the sailing date. 
I travel a lot and pretty much never get anything refundable because it’s so much more expensive. I’ve lost money a few times (e.g. snow storm), but overall far less than if I always paid for refundable fares. 
I also don’t get trip insurance. I get the health insurance in case I need to be air lifted, but not the kind that covers the cruise fare. Premium credit cards have some coverage. 

2 hours ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

I also don’t get trip insurance. I get the health insurance in case I need to be air lifted, but not the kind that covers the cruise fare. Premium credit cards have some coverage. 

Read the fine print on the travel insurance included with your credit card.  On my premium travel card it says that the claim has to be made within 7 days of the incident. On most of my trips, I wouldn't even be home by that point.  I don't consider that a negative--it is a good thing if I ever need it.  But I do compare the cost or full travel insurance and medical only travel insurance as my "at home" medical coverage doesn't work outside the US.  I've had times when the difference was $10 and times when it was $100.....I could deal with a lost suitcase or even the cost of a full vacation,( not happily)  but no way I could deal with a major medical issue  out of pocket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

I also don’t get trip insurance. I get the health insurance in case I need to be air lifted,

Us too....we get a yearly plan, the GeoBlue Globetrekker. Thankfully, we've never had to use it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CineGraphic said:

Us too....we get a yearly plan, the GeoBlue Globetrekker. Thankfully, we've never had to use it.

I have had no problems when using Alianz travel insurance, in fact they have always been easy to make a claim and pay quickly.

I had a fall, and ripped a tendon, and had to go to the hospital in Brazil. Ambulance, Emergency room, drugs, change to air ticket to fly home cost more than 2x what I paid for the insurance.  They covered it all.

I also had my cell phone stolen when in Peru.  They paid for the replacement.  There have been a few other things I have had to claim and have never had an issue.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

As said earlier, with so many of us searching now, we'll probably have this figured out before Virgin makes an announcement.

I think the whole cruise calendar disappearing from April 20th is still very suspicious. Why, this late, with less than 9 months to April 20th, there is no schedule? I go back to what I posted months ago. VV is limiting its losses because the ship is being delivered late, and they haven't planned as to where the Brilliant Lady will be berthed, because of late ship delivery. While Europe is all the rage right now, VV is still doing promos to cover the high airfares. That also leads me to believe that VV has doubts about having 2 or 3 ships in Europe. All those port days in Amsterdam, many of which are close together, could be travel agent & media familiarization cruises. Look at the dates: May 8th, 13th, 17th, and then 10 days later May 27th. The Zeebrugge stop on May 7th, and then no stops until July 29th? With bated breath, I would not be surprised if everything before April 20th get cancelled. VV doesn't do things like other cruise lines, be prepared.

Edited by notme2012

On 7/25/2023 at 2:18 PM, cantgetin said:

VV has been far more generous than most lines when cruises had to be canceled.

Past actions do not mean that VV will be as generous as they were in 2022. Travel was still under the cloud of Covid. Go back in this thread, and check VV's compensation when they cancelled a sailing for a charter.

1 minute ago, notme2012 said:

I think the whole cruise calendar disappearing from April 20th is still very suspicious. Why, this late, with less than 9 months to April 20th, there is no schedule? I go back to what I posted months ago. VV is limiting its losses because either the ship is being delivered late, and they haven't planned as to where the Brilliant Lady will be berthed, because of late ship delivery. While Europe is all the rage right now, VV is still doing promos to cover the high airfares. That also leads me to believe that VV has doubts about having 2 or 3 ships in Europe. All those port days in Amsterdam, many of which are close together, could be travel agent & media familiarization cruises. Look at the dates: May 8th, 13th, 17th, and then 10 days later May 27th. The Zeebrugge stop on May 7th, and then no stops until July 29th? With bated breath, I would not be surprised if everything before April 20th get cancelled. VV doesn't do things like other cruise lines, be prepared.

It has been said by someone who claims to have spoken with the CEO that VV and other lines are loosing their collective asses in the Med market this summer, with airfares from the US being so high. Supposedly this is why X is bringing back one of their newer ships to FLL year-round, but I think they are also doing it to compete with VV out of Miami. Only time will tell, and I think it's a pretty crappy thing to make us all wait to know what's going on while prices for flights, hotels or alternative sailings go up daily.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, notme2012 said:

Past actions do not mean that VV will be as generous as they were in 2022. Travel was still under the cloud of Covid. Go back in this thread, and check VV's compensation when they cancelled a sailing for a charter.

Agreed, things can change.  But Princess just canceled a Japan cruise because a company wanted to charter the ship.  They gave 100% of amount paid refunded or rolled to another cruise + $50 OBC if you rolled it to another cruise.  That's approximately nothing.  VV is doing way better than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notme2012 said:

I think the whole cruise calendar disappearing from April 20th is still very suspicious. Why, this late, with less than 9 months to April 20th, there is no schedule? I go back to what I posted months ago. VV is limiting its losses because the ship is being delivered late, and they haven't planned as to where the Brilliant Lady will be berthed, because of late ship delivery. While Europe is all the rage right now, VV is still doing promos to cover the high airfares. That also leads me to believe that VV has doubts about having 2 or 3 ships in Europe. All those port days in Amsterdam, many of which are close together, could be travel agent & media familiarization cruises. Look at the dates: May 8th, 13th, 17th, and then 10 days later May 27th. The Zeebrugge stop on May 7th, and then no stops until July 29th? With bated breath, I would not be surprised if everything before April 20th get cancelled. VV doesn't do things like other cruise lines, be prepared.

If they canceled April because the ship will be delivered late, why wouldn't they cancel the earlier sailings? I don't understand the logic. Makes more sense that they are changing itineraries, and not delivery. I am actually less worried now about delivery than I was before these discoveries. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, aviators99 said:

If they canceled April because the ship will be delivered late, why wouldn't they cancel the earlier sailings? I don't understand the logic. Makes more sense that they are changing itineraries, and not delivery. I am actually less worried now about delivery than I was before these discoveries. 

Because not one Brilliant Lady sailing is in final payment yet. By removing the schedule after April 20th, VV doesn't have to pay compensation to more passengers whose cruise may be affected. It limits their costs (to compensate) only to sailings from Dec 24th to April 20th. The Resilient Lady was delayed purposely by Virgin Voyages because their bookings were not growing as fast as they thought they would. Also hiring crew was challenging. Now with these Amsterdam port visits with close together dates, which have the appearances of being fam cruises, adds to my doubts of the whole pre-April 20th schedule. Why would VV sail the ship from the shipyard (in Italy) to Miami, then San Juan, then do the T-ATL, of which NOT one sailing date is sold out? The 2 maiden voyages are not sold out. That is highly unusual for maiden voyages. If I were you, I would be worried about any Brilliant Lady sailing prior to April 20th.

Maybe delaying and paying booked passengers compensation is less costly, then the extra revenue VV may earn from new bookings after April 20th, because cruises are much more expensive than they were a year ago?

Just now, notme2012 said:

Because not one Brilliant Lady sailing is in final payment yet. By removing the schedule after April 20th, VV doesn't have to pay compensation to more passengers whose cruise may be affected. It limits their costs (to compensate) only to sailings from Dec 24th to April 20th. The Resilient Lady was delayed purposely by Virgin Voyages because their bookings were not growing as fast as they thought they would. Also hiring crew was challenging. Now with these Amsterdam port visits with close together dates, which have the appearances of being fam cruises, adds to my doubts of the whole pre-April 20th schedule. Why would VV sail the ship from the shipyard (in Italy) to Miami, then San Juan, then do the T-ATL, of which NOT one sailing date is sold out? The 2 maiden voyages are not sold out. That is highly unusual for maiden voyages. If I were you, I would be worried about any Brilliant Lady sailing prior to April 20th.

Maybe delaying and paying booked passengers compensation is less costly, then the extra revenue VV may earn from new bookings after April 20th, because cruises are much more expensive than they were a year ago?

If none of them are in final payment yet, couldn't they have saved more money by canceling the all? By your theory, every day they don't cancel the earlier ones they lose more money (as more people pay). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviators99 said:

If none of them are in final payment yet, couldn't they have saved more money by canceling the all? By your theory, every day they don't cancel the earlier ones they lose more money (as more people pay). 

The most that VV would compensate is determined by the fare, what is paid, etc. Those are finite amounts, even if compensated at 200%. But all are less than what VV is now charging for currently scheduled cruises. The suite cabins are over double from what VV was charging prior to 1/1/23. Besides, VV has cancelled cruises with very little notice before, why do you doubt that they would not cancel now?

Here's the issue with Virgin Voyages. They promote that they are not like any other cruise line. They are managed by people who are not from cruise industry backgrounds. Why do you think that they will honor the schedule they posted? For people already booked, we cannot cancel without losing our deposit. We are stuck with whatever they decide to do. According to the cruise contract, there is nothing we can do other than arbitration. 

Edited by notme2012

13 minutes ago, notme2012 said:

They are managed by people who are not from cruise industry backgrounds. Why do you think that they will honor the schedule they posted? For people already booked, we cannot cancel without losing our deposit. We are stuck with whatever they decide to do. According to the cruise contract, there is nothing we can do other than arbitration. 

Tom McAlpin has spent most of his career in at least 3 cruise lines.  He has worked for Royal, was CFO at Disney Cruise Lines, and then worked for Residence or World (a line where you buy your cabin, sort of like a condo) before coming to VV.  I don't know who else is supposedly "running things."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Celebrity Ascent Maiden Voyage and 2 preview voyages are not sold out.  In fact they have already had a price cut and additional promos on the preview cruises because they are not close to selling out.  You can even book some Suites on the maiden Ascent cruise right now.  The cruises right after the maiden cruise are WIDE open with hundreds of cabins unsold. I guess it's time to prepare the Celebrity obituary! 

We are starting to see discounting by all the major cruise lines as post covid "revenge travel" is winding down and we are starting to get back to normal.  However, Virgin bookings continue to grow stronger and prices are going UP after every sale ends.  Expect another price increase August 1st when the current sale ends.  Bookings are getting better in Europe as the season progresses due to increasing sales to Europeans who don't have to pay the crazy transatlantic air fares.  The Brilliant Lady SJ sailings are starting to fill up. There's still some good deals on the BL, so I'd book now at these low prices before they start to go up in the next couple of months.  Some sailings are down to only Central Sea Terraces left which is bad news for bargain shoppers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FFMilesJunkie said:

Bookings are getting better in Europe as the season progresses due to increasing sales to Europeans who don't have to pay the crazy transatlantic air fares.  The Brilliant Lady SJ sailings are starting to fill up. There's still some good deals on the BL, so I'd book now at these low prices before they start to go up in the next couple of months.  Some sailings are down to only Central Sea Terraces left which is bad news for bargain shoppers.

1-More proof that VV may keep the Brilliant Lady in Europe. 2-I checked all the Brilliant Lady sailings from San Juan, none are sold out. With the exception of suites, I could find insides, outsides and terrace cabins on every sailing. 3-Using a maiden voyage of ship in April 2022, still under Covid rules, really? Bad example! Most cruise ships were not even sailing half full.

Edited by notme2012

4 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Tom McAlpin has spent most of his career in at least 3 cruise lines.  He has worked for Royal, was CFO at Disney Cruise Lines, and then worked for Residence or World (a line where you buy your cabin, sort of like a condo) before coming to VV.  I don't know who else is supposedly "running things."

Bain Capital and BlackRock are controlling the purse strings. That is what I meant about who are controlling/managing VV.

As far as McAlpin, why is not still at Disney? His reputation is for starting up cruise lines, but his tenure at DCL, was shuffled a couple times. McAlpin is not the person to solve VV's problems with getting people under 35 to book VV cruise.

Probably best if I keep  my opinion of the top brass to myself.  Suffice it to say that when I took the time to send him a snail mail detailing a significant accessibility issue on Valiant Lady, the only response I received  was an email  copy of the page from the VV website where accessibility is discussed and it took 4 months for that to hit my inbox.  I was invited to a dinner with Captain Tom and Tom McAlpin on the Disney Magic.....as noted, best if I don't voice my opinion.  I have my theories about what happened at Disney....would love to talk with you privately, but that's not possible on this platform.

• Like 1