Maui water temp

mooline

This Floridian is wondering how cool the water will be in mid June for snorkeling at  Molikini Crater and Turtle Arches. 

We’re used to water temps in the mid 80s, and I’m thinking we’ll see much cooler than that for our snorkeling adventure.

I know there are a few Maui residents on this board, and maybe some folks who have done this shore excursion? NCL uses PAC Whale Foundation, and I have checked with them on availability of wetsuits. Just curious what we might expect.

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, mooline said:

This Floridian is wondering how cool the water will be in mid June for snorkeling at  Molikini Crater and Turtle Arches. 

We’re used to water temps in the mid 80s, and I’m thinking we’ll see much cooler than that for our snorkeling adventure.

Water temp today where we are on Kaanapali is 76. Year average I think is 78. Summer temps are warmer into the 80s, so you won't be too far off the 80 mark. It's possible it might be a little cooler offshore at Molokini. 

32 minutes ago, mooline said:

I know there are a few Maui residents on this board, and maybe some folks who have done this shore excursion? NCL uses PAC Whale Foundation, and I have checked with them on availability of wetsuits. Just curious what we might expect.

We much prefer a smaller operator called Captain Steve's but they only do snorkel trips to Lanai. For Molokini my pick would be Trilogy-- high quality operator on nice catamarans. From our experience its a bit more upscale than PAC. 

Have snorkeled many dozens of times all over Maui. Mostly in the winter months. Never wore a wetsuit. Our most recent snorkeling at Lanai...in October, the water and air temp were the same...85 degrees. I saw the thermometers to prove it.

I snowbird here from January until the end of April so I'm no help. I do snorkel frequently at Kapalua Bay, Napalii, and Honolua thru the winter months. It can be a bit chilly, but nothing to keep me out of the water.  Hopefully a year long resident can give better advise.