Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

1 hour ago, Larasmum said:

There may be 259% more oceanview cabins on the Millenium, but it still didn't stop Celebrity from cancelling two oceanviews plus a prime verandah from our six linked reservations.

1 hour ago, Larasmum said:

There may be 259% more oceanview cabins on the Millenium, but it still didn't stop Celebrity from cancelling two oceanviews plus a prime verandah from our six linked reservations.

Say hi to beautiful  mississauga. 

Your cabins. We're they all numbered or guarantee  cabins.  It's unbelievable they would that to you

We originally booked the 14 day Millennium for 3-28-21, on 1-31-19. It got cancelled due to COVID. When it cancelled, we rebooked onto the Solstice 14 day for 3-27-22. Due to uncertainty in the region, we it switched to the 14 day 3-28-23 on the Solstice, that Celebrity turned around and cancelled, offering us the 12 day 3-28-24 sailing on the Millennium, that we took. So, 4 booked sailings later, a largely different itinerary than we originally were excited about, and 2 days less in Japan, there is a very large part of me that would love to have Celebrity take my A2 cabin and I would jump at the paltry, insulting $450 offer!

13 minutes ago, clojacks said:

We originally booked the 14 day Millennium for 3-28-21, on 1-31-19. It got cancelled due to COVID. When it cancelled, we rebooked onto the Solstice 14 day for 3-27-22. Due to uncertainty in the region, we it switched to the 14 day 3-28-23 on the Solstice, that Celebrity turned around and cancelled, offering us the 12 day 3-28-24 sailing on the Millennium, that we took. So, 4 booked sailings later, a largely different itinerary than we originally were excited about, and 2 days less in Japan, there is a very large part of me that would love to have Celebrity take my A2 cabin and I would jump at the paltry, insulting $450 offer!

Nightmare

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

There seem to be a number of people that would have volunteered to take the offer.  Why Celebrity did not try this approach is beyond me.

A necessary evil would be the excruciating waiting time for the volunteers to come forward when you know that your cruise (reservation) could get cancelled.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

A necessary evil would be the excruciating waiting time for the volunteers to come forward when you know that your cruise could get cancelled.

Not necessarily, no one would know who was going to get canceled if they just sent out emails to everyone. 

14 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Not necessarily, no one would know who was going to get canceled if they just sent out emails to everyone. 

What I mean is that if you decide not to volunteer, you are taking your chances that you could still get your cruise cancelled--if there are not enough volunteers--and you have to wait that out.  It's the uncertainty and the not knowing about what will happen next.

Edited by mahdnc

1 hour ago, southwestie said:

Your cabins. We're they all numbered or guarantee  cabins.  It's unbelievable they would that to you

We all had assigned cabins.   Still pressing on, but coming to the sad acceptance that we won't all be able to go on this cruise.

45 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

There seem to be a number of people that would have volunteered to take the offer.  Why Celebrity did not try this approach is beyond me.

I would have volunteered!!! Gladly. Our October 2023 cruise was "oversold".

But to volunteer, I need a better offer than $450/person.

Edited by raananh
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Larasmum said:

Yes, you're right--the large number of extra oceanview cabins do not guarantee a thing.  I feel very bad about your situation with the six cabins and the stress that goes along with waiting for the Resolution Desk to get back to you.  I would not be taking this well.  I really wish you the best of luck and I hope you keep us informed of how it works out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Yes, you're right--the large number of extra oceanview cabins do not guarantee a thing.  I feel very bad about your situation with the six cabins and the stress that goes along with waiting for the Resolution Desk to get back to you.  I would not be taking this well.  I really wish you the best of luck and I hope you keep us informed of how it works out.

Thank you.   The community here has been very supportive. 

3 minutes ago, Larasmum said:

Thank you.   The community here has been very supportive. 

That is one nice thing about this forum.  Many of us understand the disappointment when cruise plans get disrupted.  Discuss these same problems at my workplace and I would get very little reaction.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mahdnc said:

A necessary evil would be the excruciating waiting time for the volunteers to come forward when you know that your cruise (reservation) could get cancelled.

I am not sure about that.  This seems like a slow moving train wreck.  Have all of the cancellations occurred yet?  Not according to some posts.

Is Celebrity reducing all bookings to single bookings or are they hoping that some cruisers cancel?  

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I am not sure about that.  This seems like a slow moving train wreck.  Have all of the cancellations occurred yet?  Not according to some posts.

I posted on Celebrity Cruises FB page asking whether the cancellations had all been communicated but there has been no response.

• Like 1

I am on the Oct 23 sailing and I read in CruiseHive that over 1000 passengers have been cancelled from that one sailing.

I suspect that there will be a clause in the booking conditions that allows this so far out.

Even in the UK where we have some consumer protection, I don't think because of the timeline, we would have much redress.

Edited by anniegb

34 minutes ago, anniegb said:

I am on the Oct 23 sailing and I read in CruiseHive that over 1000 passengers have been cancelled from that one sailing.

I suspect that there will be a clause in the booking conditions that allows this so far out.

Even in the UK where we have some consumer protection, I don't think because of the timeline, we would have much redress.

This is the only thing I can find on Cruise Hive but it doesn't mention how many affected: https://www.cruisehive.com/celebrity-cruise-ship-oversold-six-months-before-sailing/99276

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pukekolive said:

This is the only thing I can find on Cruise Hive but it doesn't mention how many affected: https://www.cruisehive.com/celebrity-cruise-ship-oversold-six-months-before-sailing/99276

I have also posted this link in the roll call:

https://boards.cruisehive.com/topic/1619-celebrity-overbooked-in-japan-oct-2023-cruise/

• Like 1