Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

11 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

If you check Neal, the OP of the Cruisehive post, they joined CC last Thursday. Clearly a suspect post meant to spread disinformation.  I'd ignore it

I've already asked where his information came from, waiting for his response (if I get one). We have already booked flights from New Zealand for the 24 Oct cruise; treated ourselves to Premium Economy for first and only time as 1st flight since I have had reduced mobility and is an 11 hour flight. Luckily quite flexible but has $600 change fees over our 2 bookings.

At thus stage not had anything from Celebrity, fingers crossed.

Edited by pukekolive

8 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

If you check Neal, the OP of the Cruisehive post, they joined CC last Thursday. Clearly a suspect post meant to spread disinformation.  I'd ignore it

For what gain?? Most cruisers have not heard of cc or cruisehive.

I don't think unfortunately, those who are cancelled have much legal recourse.  

Just OOI, when did LLP announce she was stepping down ?? and this then hit the fan!. 

14 minutes ago, pukekolive said:

I've already asked where his information came from, waiting for his response (if I get one). We have already booked flights from New Zealand for the 24 Oct cruise; treated ourselves to Premium Economy for first and only time as 1st flight since I have had reduced mobility and is an 11 hour flight. Luckily quite flexible but has $600 change fees over our 2 bookings.

At thus stage not had anything from Celebrity, fingers crossed.

I have booked PE fights ex UK  as I too have mobility issues.

However my ticket is fully refundable with no change fees with very small premium over non-refundable ticket.

I check my account on Celebrity rather than rely on email.

Que sera,sera.

14 minutes ago, anniegb said:

when did LLP announce she was stepping down ?? and this then hit the fan!. 

April 6 was the official announcement.  Here's the press release from that date:  Celebrity Cruises’ President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo Transitions to Vice Chair, External Affairs; Laura Hodges Bethge Named to Succeed Her | Celebrity Cruises Press Center

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Agreed [that Celebrity is being very cheap in their offer to compensate "oversold" passengers].  Here is what RCL offered...

Royal Caribbean's Largest Cruise Ship is Oversold Due to Inventory Error (cruisehive.com)

Celebrity, as a luxury cruise line, is being very very cheap here with their $450/person compensation and a miniscule $500 refund for flights while they know very well that flights to Japan are way way more than $500.

In contrast, RCL, their parent company, is way more generous.

If Celebrity was not that cheap, surely most passengers would take their offer, be happy, and continue to sail with Celebrity in the future.

I decided to not sail with Celebrity anymore. Plenty of good competition there.

Back to RCL, few years ago our cruise was shortened by 2 days (i.e. it started 2 days later) due to a hurricane, which is not even RCL's fault. We were put in a fancy hotel for those 2 days, very generous per-dim for meals and other expense for those 2 days, generous partial refund for the cruise being shortened and an additional on-board credit, just for that. I was very happy.

Clearly, RCL treats customers better than Celebrity!

12 hours ago, raananh said:

I would have volunteered!!! Gladly. Our October 2023 cruise was "oversold".

But to volunteer, I need a better offer than $450/person.

Celebrity wouldn't offer $450/pp.  The letter I got is an automatic downgrade offer (balcony to oceanview) for $700 OBC for 3 ppl (e.g. $233/pp).  Since at prevailing rate, oceanview is more expensive than the balcony I booked in 2021, there is no reduction in fare.  That $700 OBC is their "goodwill" to put me in an automatic downgrade oceanview cabin so that I don't need to cancel my trip for my balcony booking.

It's frustrating that I don't get any alternative options.  There is a reason why I booked balcony as my lowest cabin category to begin with.  Not all people are willingly to travel in a downgrade cabin.  Not to mention the compensation is unfair to start.

Edited by wahwah1
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, raananh said:

Celebrity, as a luxury cruise line, is being very very cheap here with their $450/person compensation and a miniscule $500 refund for flights while they know very well that flights to Japan are way way more than $500.

RCL is not the parent company of Celebrity.  Due to an unfortunate confusion of names, the parent company is Royal Caribbean group (RCG).  

Both Celebrity and the Royal Caribbean Cruise lines are under the Royal Caribbean group umbrella, as is TUI and Silverseas and other entities.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, wahwah1 said:

Celebrity wouldn't offer $450/pp.  The letter I got is an automatic downgrade offer (balcony to oceanview) for $700 OBC for 3 ppl (e.g. $233/pp).  Since at prevailing rate, oceanview is more expensive than the balcony I booked in 2021, there is no reduction in fare.  That $700 OBC is their "goodwill" to put me in an automatic downgrade oceanview cabin so that I don't need to cancel my trip for my balcony booking.

It's frustrating that I don't get any alternative options.  There is a reason why I booked balcony as my lowest cabin category to begin with.  Not all people are willingly to travel in a downgrade cabin.  Not to mention the compensation is unfair to start.

Celebrity did offere $450/pp to those who they need to cancel.  If I were you I would send an email to their executive offices.  That is not right that they are telling you your only option is to downgrade.  They should also give you the same cancel options as the others.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

RCL is not the parent company of Celebrity.  Due to an unfortunate confusion of names, the parent company is Royal Caribbean group (RCG).  

Both Celebrity and the Royal Caribbean Cruise lines are under the Royal Caribbean group umbrella, as is TUI and Silverseas and other entities.

When you say unfortunate confusion of names you make it sound somewhat unintended or coincidental.  Carnival Corporation has the same thing.  Similar corporate group name as the cruise line brand.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Celebrity did offere $450/pp to those who they need to cancel.  If I were you I would send an email to their executive offices.  That is not right that they are telling you your only option is to downgrade.  They should also give you the same cancel options as the others.  

“I” would much prefer a downgrade with compensation over a devastating cancellation, but it seems Celebrity is making all the decisions for us.   ???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anniegb said:

For what gain?? Most cruisers have not heard of cc or cruisehive.

I don't think unfortunately, those who are cancelled have much legal recourse.  

Just OOI, when did LLP announce she was stepping down ?? and this then hit the fan!. 

Yep, Dondra, head of sales is also leaving 

3 hours ago, anniegb said:

Celebrity has known about this for months.  It has exposed problems in their upper management, accounting, and auditing.  Why did not anyone notice such a large issue that should have been caught by both accounting and management much earlier?

I doubt that she "stepped down" with these problems.  She was more likely replaced, yet that is how the corporate world will spin it.  

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, raananh said:

If Celebrity was not that cheap, surely most passengers would take their offer, be happy, and continue to sail with Celebrity in the future.

I decided to not sail with Celebrity anymore. Plenty of good competition there.

Back to RCL, few years ago our cruise was shortened by 2 days (i.e. it started 2 days later) due to a hurricane, which is not even RCL's fault. We were put in a fancy hotel for those 2 days, very generous per-dim for meals and other expense for those 2 days, generous partial refund for the cruise being shortened and an additional on-board credit, just for that. I was very happy.

Clearly, RCL treats customers better than Celebrity!

I have some personal experience with a non-COVID cruise cancellation that can serve as one data point to compare compensation and stories against.  We were booked on a 14 night Caribbean cruise on Silhouette for Jan 31, 2020.  On May 17, 2019 (8.5 months before we were to sail), we were informed that our cruise was cancelled.  The cancellation was the result of a change in drydock schedule because of a severe accident at Grand Bahama Shipyard.

We were all offered a refund on our deposits along with a Future Cruise Certificate good for 50% of the cruise fare to be used within a year of issue (Celebrity ended up extending that deadline because of COVID).  Celebrity also offered up to $300 travel reimbursement (the cruise was to start and end in Ft Lauderdale).  Here is a link to the initial cancellation letter which detailed the compensation and options.

Because the cancelled cruise was the only 14 night Caribbean sailing that season (in fact it has never been offered again since), the lift and shift options all appeared to be inferior because they were shorter for one thing, certain islands not visited, etc.  The roll call for our cancelled cruise began sharing our grievances and enough of us contacted Celebrity (and escalated the matter) that we were able to get them to significantly expand the number of price protected sailings that we could shift our booking to (link to the revised cancellation letter with expanded lift and shift options).

A couple of other things I remember learning from this incident.  First, it is easier to negotiate concessions on a case by case basis early on before Celebrity's compensation position becomes more rigid.  That may not make sense to you since the initial compensation is outlined in writing.  For us, there was a "fog of war" consisting of conflicting/ambiguous information from Celebrity and ensuing confusion with the call center that initially existed that provided an opportunity for a very few people to make a case to Celebrity to have an exception made.  Here is one example.  I have another example: I am not sure how she did it, but my travel agent was able to negotiate to have my FCC applied against an existing booking for a Christmas cruise to New Zealand even though the FCC fine print excluded it.  What my TA later told me was that she had notes of a conversation with someone at Celebrity that said I could use my FCC for a holiday cruise (this was when the cancellation was first announced) and was able to use that to get Celebrity to make an exception for me when it came time later to apply the FCC.  Fog of war or not, I encourage you to ask for an exception if you have a good case.  Escalate if necessary.  It is not a formula for guaranteed success but concessions can happen and it usually comes from persistence.

Secondly, because of the large number of people who were shifting their reservation to an existing sailing, it was important to act quickly before the good cabins from the remaining inventory got snapped up by other displaced customers.  

For those of you affected by the oversold situation, I feel for you. I hope you are able to get things worked out.

balcony.jpg.7fe9b74bd43b07babb99c5e6b327

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Judy Arthur said:

“I” would much prefer a downgrade with compensation over a devastating cancellation, but it seems Celebrity is making all the decisions for us.   ???

My parent is claustrophobic so oceanview is not desirable/an option.

Per booking conditions, I should be offered with options, not just an automatic downgrade. The agent said my case got escalated internally prior sending me the letter, but $700 OBC for 3 ppl in a downgraded cabin is not a fair compensation. If they refund me the difference between a triple balcony vs triple oceanview at prevailing rate + OBC for the involuntary downgrade, I think it's more reasonable. But they are comparing my 2021 balcony rate and the prevailing oceanview rate! That's is a ripoff!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wahwah1 said:

But they are comparing my 2021 balcony rate and the prevailing oceanview rate! That's is a ripoff!

Agreed, at minimum they should be comparing the 2021 rates for both cabins.

We are booked for the April 2025 cruise so we are watching all this with some trepidation, but hopefully no impact that far out.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Agreed, at minimum they should be comparing the 2021 rates for both cabins.

I would agree with the 2021 rate for triple consideration, if they still have the 2021 price.

1 minute ago, wahwah1 said:

I would agree with the 2021 rate for triple consideration, if they still have the 2021 price.

I suspect they do have the historic rate tables relatively easily available as the topic has come up a couple of times for me when talking to them about upgrades. They seemed to be able to refer to the other cabin prices at the time of my original booking with great ease.

2 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

Celebrity is not considered a luxury cruise line within the industry.  

1 hour ago, Sunlightlover said:

Agree, premium, yes, but far from luxury...

Depends on the ship. Perhaps the newer ones like Edge cater to a more unsophisticated Royal Caribbean/Carnival crowd, but ships like Reflection and Millennium sure feel luxurious to me. Maybe not Regent Seven Seas or Silversea luxurious, but still very high end with crew members who make me feel welcomed and pampered. And if you've ever stayed in a Penthouse Suite or Royal Suite, you'd completely disagree with any statement claiming Celebrity isn't a luxury cruise line.

I think of Princess, NCL, and Holland America as "premium" (with some important caveats*), Royal Caribbean as "standard," and Carnival as "low brow but lots of fun." Celebrity feels more "luxury" to me than all of those.

Or at least it used to feel that way to me... seems to me they're trying very hard to circle the maelstrom and become more like post-pandemic NCL (*nickel-and-dimed at every opportunity, very different experience between Haven and rest of the ship, inconsistent cabin amenities per person, disingenuous promotions like free drink/dining packages not actually being free, overpriced WiFi, buffet cutbacks, etc.)

Staying in some of the larger NCL suites can be just as nice as Celebrity's larger suites, but NCL's deceptive and greedy policies can sure give one a very bad taste. I really hope Celebrity can resist going in that direction too.

25 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I suspect they do have the historic rate tables relatively easily available as the topic has come up a couple of times for me when talking to them about upgrades. They seemed to be able to refer to the other cabin prices at the time of my original booking with great ease.

Interesting, I raised this unfair compensation topic to a few agents, I was told they will credit me the difference between oceanview and balcony at prevailing rate. Initially, I was told I will get a credit of $1275 cad, but 15 min later, they said they were looking at the no perks oceanview rate by mistake. Then I got transferred to the escalation line, i was told the prevailing rate for oceanview no perk option is $265 cheaper  than my triple balcony with 3 perks, so she recommended me to keep my perks.

As you can see, there are fluctuating information depending on the agent. No one offered me the option to credit me the difference at 2021 rate.

Edited by wahwah1

25 minutes ago, wahwah1 said:

Interesting, I raised this unfair compensation topic to a few agents, I was told they will credit me the difference between oceanview and balcony at prevailing rate. Initially, I was told I will get a credit of $1275 cad, but 15 min later, they said they were looking at the no perks oceanview rate by mistake. Then I got transferred to the escalation line, i was told the prevailing rate for oceanview no perk option is $265 cheaper  than my triple balcony with 3 perks, so she recommended me to keep my perks.

As you can see, there are fluctuating information depending on the agent. No one offered me the option to credit me the difference at 2021 rate.

If I was in your position, travelling with a claustrophobic parent, I would assess firstly whether an OV is a good fit for your party.

Left field thinking, someone has posted either on this thread or a roll call, they were upgraded from a balcony to a concierge cabin and I would ask to be placed on a waiting list should such a cabin become available.  If you don't ask.............

Good luck

3 minutes ago, anniegb said:

If I was in your position, travelling with a claustrophobic parent, I would assess firstly whether an OV is a good fit for your party.

Left field thinking, someone has posted either on this thread or a roll call, they were upgraded from a balcony to a concierge cabin and I would ask to be placed on a waiting list should such a cabin become available.  If you don't ask.............

Good luck

Thank you. I tried asking for conceirge but she said that room is not opened for my booking.  I also asked what if a balcony becomes available in the future, she said I will need to pay the balcony at prevailing rate if i accepted the OV offer even if I give back the $700 OBC.

5 minutes ago, wahwah1 said:

Thank you. I tried asking for conceirge but she said that room is not opened for my booking.  I also asked what if a balcony becomes available in the future, she said I will need to pay the balcony at prevailing rate if i accepted the OV offer even if I give back the $700 OBC.

Well you are far more polite than I am. 

Try another agent?? As you say, different agents give different answers.

Could you make a case that you need at minimum a balcony cabin on medical grounds??

Good luck

• Like 1