Uber on Malta

On 4/18/2023 at 8:09 PM, Vineyard View said:

We have a really long day and night in Malta. We have never been. Has anyone used Uber there and if so how well did that work? 
‘thank you

Uber say that they cover Malta (https://www.uber.com/global/en/cities/malta/) but I've not used it.

When we were there for four days last September local licenced white taxis were plentiful and not expensive.  Taking the local bus was also an easy option, with full routing etc showing on Google maps, and it gave more of a flavour of the local area.

Thank you for this information. I read somewhere that at some of the museums and sites that taxis were not readily available, so my second thought was Uber. Did you find them easily accessed at most places?
Did taxis take credit cards? I just cancelled a private excursion we had booked when friends were able to travel with us. Unfortunately they had to cancel and the cost for two is just more than our comfort zone so trying to come up with a ‘plan B’. 

On 4/23/2023 at 1:25 AM, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for this information. I read somewhere that at some of the museums and sites that taxis were not readily available, so my second thought was Uber. Did you find them easily accessed at most places?
Did taxis take credit cards? I just cancelled a private excursion we had booked when friends were able to travel with us. Unfortunately they had to cancel and the cost for two is just more than our comfort zone so trying to come up with a ‘plan B’. 

We only used taxis between airport and hotel and return (local buses at other times), paying by card at the airport and cash to the driver on return.  There seemed to be plenty around otherwise. There is an app available that lets you book or call a taxi, so having one on a rank is less critical.  https://www.maltataxi.mt/ You could download it and try it out to see where the taxis are on the live map, without making a real booking.  Taxis are metered, but the advice on the Visit Malta website is to agree a fare in advance, so I'm not sure where that leaves you! https://www.visitmalta.com/en/a/taxis/ 
The mandated fixed-fares to and from the airport may give you a good idea of the maximum price for a similar length of journey https://www.maltairport.com/passenger/getting-here/taxi-service/

• 3 months later...

I used Uber in Valletta this Spring on an independent trip.  No problem getting one.  The only issue I had is getting one on the way back as I didn't have a SIM card for the internet.  If you are able, get an E-sim and do that, or else use wi-fi wherever you are visiting if they have it. 

I also rode the public buses, fairly easy and safe.  If you ride the bus, ask the driver to let you know where to get off, and then where the return bus stop will be. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 12:23 PM, Vineyard View said:

We ended up getting a cab to Mdina and back. It was not an issue as there was a specific area for cabs in both locations near the busses. 

We are looking at booking a cruise with an 8:00 AM until 11:00 PM stay in Valletta. That is one of my bucket list ports, so short of an overnight (or a land visit), that seems tempting. Hope our energy level can make the most of it!

I was disappointed that none of the ship's excursions offered what I had hoped to see, so now I am looking for private tour options or DIY. Good to know that cabs were helpful.

Lackcreativity - I believe cruisemom42 was the person who highly recommended to me a woman for private tours. Her name is Amy Pace. She was great to communicate with. We originally booked her when we were a party of four, but in the end decided just the two of us would DIY. Her contact info is paceemalta@outlook.com. Her website is www.guidedtoursmalta.com. 

Have a great visit. It was on my bucket list as well and did not disappoint at all! We are, I believe, going back next year for a day and looking forward to it. 

• Thanks 1

Marazul, you also recommended her to me, so thanks much! It may have been both of you, or even just you - who recommended her. The two of you are always beyond helpful and it is much appreciated. 

Edited by Vineyard View

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2023 at 6:00 PM, lackcreativity said:

We are looking at booking a cruise with an 8:00 AM until 11:00 PM stay in Valletta. That is one of my bucket list ports, so short of an overnight (or a land visit), that seems tempting. Hope our energy level can make the most of it!

I was disappointed that none of the ship's excursions offered what I had hoped to see, so now I am looking for private tour options or DIY. Good to know that cabs were helpful.

We were in Malta some years ago on a cruise ship.  I booked a tour with Amy's Tours.  The guide was very good and the driver excellent.  We couldn't go to the Cathedral because it was Sunday but we walked all over the old town and drove to Mdina where we again walked around the town.  (Loved Mdina!).  it was an excellent tour.

Do not miss the sail in and out  in Valetta.  The harbour is beautiful!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1