Princess to sail year round from Galveston?!

BabsinTX

Just saw this today and hope it happens:  https://www.galvnews.com/news/princess-cruises-could-make-galveston-home-port-director-says/article_f03ace1e-1902-5807-8c19-9efa02868784.html

The best thing to me (besides the four hour drive to the port) is you don't have to get off the ship in Galveston on a B2B.  The immigration officer comes onboard to check your passport.

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, BabsinTX said:

Just saw this today and hope it happens:  https://www.galvnews.com/news/princess-cruises-could-make-galveston-home-port-director-says/article_f03ace1e-1902-5807-8c19-9efa02868784.html

The best thing to me (besides the four hour drive to the port) is you don't have to get off the ship in Galveston on a B2B.  The immigration officer comes onboard to check your passport.

Thanks for sharing this article.  I hope Princess and Galveston get what they want.

Your last paragraph is most interesting to me.  I've heard of B2Bs being handled this way, but I've heard the vast majority (at other ports) have you get off, mostly briefly, during turnaround day.  I'm sure it varies by port and cruise line, and possibly by date.  I really should ask about this more generally, but I don't know how to get a good answer out of this.

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for sharing this article.  I hope Princess and Galveston get what they want.

Your last paragraph is most interesting to me.  I've heard of B2Bs being handled this way, but I've heard the vast majority (at other ports) have you get off, mostly briefly, during turnaround day.  I'm sure it varies by port and cruise line, and possibly by date.  I really should ask about this more generally, but I don't know how to get a good answer out of this.

The only other port that let us stay  onboard between B2Bs was FFL several years ago, and it seemed like a trial run.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing that article! We started sailing on Princess from Galveston back in 2005 when the Grand was fairly new. Would love more options from there with varied itineraries.

These 2 comments stood out to me from the article. First that Princess is old-school. So many people are complaining about changes to the Princess product (not me). 

Also the part about another ship joining the Ruby -- we already have the Regal booked for January.

Screenshot_20230419_111630_Chrome.jpg

26 minutes ago, waltd said:

Well lets see how long it will last this time.   Between weather and fog there were lots of delays in the past.     Was not a fun experience.   

Weren't those issues related to when Houston was used as a cruise port?  If I recall, thats an hour or two inland from Galveston.

1 hour ago, waltd said:

Well lets see how long it will last this time.   Between weather and fog there were lots of delays in the past.     Was not a fun experience.   

Tiny data points, but my one RT cruise from Galveston on the Ruby last week had near perfect weather, no delays, and no fog.

I did have fog on an inbound sailing into Galveston back in 2015 (not on Princess).  We were only an hour or so late, so it didn't affect us too much.

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm glad they chose one of the older ships to dedicate for Galveston and not one of the newer Royal class ships. 

I was thinking it was Regal Princess which was going to be in Galveston, but I could be wrong. 

We have finished 4 on the ruby since the return of princess…..that would be great if they come back permanently. Planning to b on the Regal from FLL to Galveston late Oct to Nov, then doing the New Year’s Eve trip again.  The only issue is the boring western Caribbean ports… possibly longer trips could get some better eastern ports. Go princess!

Galveston itineraries suffer considerably due to how far north and west it is located relative to the bulk of the Caribbean Islands. A 10 day Eastern Caribbean might be able to get 3 ports in the Vicinity of St Thomas / St Maarten if you are lucky as there would need to be at least 3 sea days each way.  Cruise lines are usually looking to add more ports, not less. Anything other than Mexico, Belize, Honduras, Grand Cayman or Jamaica usually means longer than 7 nts, which historically Galveston has not been able to support a full season of longer sailings due to market demographics.  It is primarily a drive market which is predominantly 4-7 day consumers.