Does anyone know how large of a suitcase will fit under the bed?

5 hours ago, Kathscof said:

Haha that’s a whole other post (I thought carryons were so you didn’t have to check luggage?)

There are two reasons for carryons...

1) To not have to deal with checked bags.

2) As a backup in case the airline (or others) "misplace"/"misdirect"/flat out lose your checked bags.  When heading TO a vacation, it is advisable to put everything needed for the first 24 hours in a carry on.  This way if the check bag doesn't make it, you still have supplies.

Now, we can get everything for 24 hours for 4 people into a single carryon.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

There are two reasons for carryons...

1) To not have to deal with checked bags.

2) As a backup in case the airline (or others) "misplace"/"misdirect"/flat out lose your checked bags.  When heading TO a vacation, it is advisable to put everything needed for the first 24 hours in a carry on.  This way if the check bag doesn't make it, you still have supplies.

Now, we can get everything for 24 hours for 4 people into a single carryon.

I just don't like "lugging" luggage.....so I put my stuff I need for that 1st day into my messenger bag, never knew people took the full sized carry ons for that purpose, I just assumed people would put it in a backpack or something.....learn something new every day!

17 minutes ago, Kathscof said:

I just don't like "lugging" luggage.....so I put my stuff I need for that 1st day into my messenger bag, never knew people took the full sized carry ons for that purpose, I just assumed people would put it in a backpack or something.....learn something new every day!

When we are going on a cruise only,  I take the 22” as a carry on.  Just to be safe, I take 2 days’ worth of stuff for the three of us.  I also cross pack the checked bags.  If one doesn’t make it, the other has 3 more days’ worth for each of us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kathscof said:

A full sized carry on can carry 1st day of things for multiple people.  I can get ~5-6 days worth of clothes in my carry on.  Whether that's 5-6 days of clothes for one person or one day of clothes for 5 people, it's still the same bag. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Does anyone have a measurement of what the height is under the bed?    That would seem to be the critical piece of info.  

That may vary a bit between ships/cabins - not all bed frames are exactly the same.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That may vary a bit between ships/cabins - not all bed frames are exactly the same.

This is true even on the same ships.  We had to set the bed on our suitcases in an oceanview cabin on Grandeur but in a Jr suite, same ship they slid easily under the bed. So the Jr suite beds were definitely higher. 

We use 25” bags.  If they are any bigger they will simply be too heavy to fly with.  Even those we can make too heavy.  When I see people with those huge suitcases I wonder what they can put in them to keep them under the weight limits. The 25” soft sides we’ve always been able to fit under the beds in some fashion. We nest our carry ons in them and have fit up to 4 that size under one Royal bed.  

2 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

When I see people with those huge suitcases I wonder what they can put in them to keep them under the weight limits.

I have one of those huge ones.   Up to about 10 years ago airlines didn't really care about weight of luggage.  It was nice because one large one on wheels was much easier to handle than two smaller ones.  Mine was also a Naval Blue and I only ever saw a duplicate once.  

I don't know this for sure, it's just conjecture, but I would imagine that there are many many many different types of beds in the many different categories of cabins, on the many different ships, and supplied/purchased from many different manufacturers. I would imagine that there are different clearances on the many differing beds.  Probably not much of a difference but a difference.  I'd hate to say that the beds have 10 inches of clearance and there only be 9 1/2 inches.  

We thought we were good to go with the luggage we got after a cruise where we took note of the space under the bed.  Well, on the next cruise, it was different and we had to store our luggage under the bed open/unfolded.  Not a big deal, but not what we expected.  If you are willing to store your luggage under the bed, open/unfolded, you'd be fine.