No chibang for me on mardi gras

geckoaz

On 4/19/2023 at 5:59 PM, kwokpot said:

You're assuming this wasn't purposeful. Obviously it was. Unlike the rest of the fleet, Cucina and Chibang are MEANT to be MDR's and NOT Specialty restaurants. That's why the menus aren't the same for Cucina on Excel Class ships; the choices and quality has been downscaled since it's NOT SUPPOSED to be a specialty restaurant.

Hmm, if we experienced a "downsized quality" menu at Cucina on the Mardi Gras -- and we loved it, including my Italian cruise-friend -- then I can only imagine how awesome a "regular," for-pay menu at the Cucina would be.  

On 4/19/2023 at 7:02 PM, audcc77 said:

Yes, I realize that.  

However, I only give anytime dining EXTRA tips if I have the same team for several nights.  

To me, the service during YTD ranges from ho-hum to lousy.  Unless I find a good one and stick with them for the remainder.  Thus, resulting in an extra tip. 

Huh, we've had just a couple of lousy service teams with YTD; otherwise they've ranged from good to excellent...and on our October cruise on Horizon, one team was so good we requested them for the last 3 nights...and tipped appropriately and generously.    

On 4/19/2023 at 7:22 PM, Elaine5715 said:

It doesn't penalize set time.  Early set time diners have a table and wait team sitting on idle should they choose to eat at Cucina or Chibang at the same time.  ATD can't just go to the main dining room and use that empty table.  It is better to consider both are ATD rooms until 7:30 pm 

Well, Carnival certainly considers them that way.  Under "Dining," all YTD passengers' ship cards even list "Flamingo, Chibang!, Cucina" as your three available dining rooms.  

Note that the assigned MDR for YTD can vary based on requests and capacity.  For the sailing before ours on Mardi Gras, they were using the other dining room for YTD.  

Edited by Pellaz

On 4/19/2023 at 6:08 PM, TravelBluebird said:

True, I think we are leaning towards set time dining because we have 2 generations on this cruise, and if we don’t all have a designated dinner time all together, we may never see the “kids”

And you always have the option to A) skip one dinner early with your group to eat in Chibang or Cucina after 745 or B) take advantage of the lunches offered in each of those venues during sea days between 12 and 2, albeit with different menus from dinner time.

Edited by CruizinSusan70
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 5:29 PM, mz-s said:

Yes, that's how Carnival is doing things with their new ships.

I agree it's a poor experience for set dining cruisers.

I don't see why they don't just allow everyone to reserve a table at the restaurant of their choosing when they want. Go to 100% "freestyle" dining.

Hahahaha

• Like 2

My cruise over and no chibang. If you want to go with full menu  YTD is advised. One commentator stated YTD fills up fast so make your decision well before sailing. Just remember to remain respectful of others who make comments. Do not laugh or disparage them. Just pass on on experiences that others may find helpful to improve their cruise experience. Sea ya!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

My cruise over and no chibang. If you want to go with full menu  YTD is advised. One commentator stated YTD fills up fast so make your decision well before sailing. Just remember to remain respectful of others who make comments. Do not laugh or disparage them. Just pass on on experiences that others may find helpful to improve their cruise experience. Sea ya!

My guess those comments also are good for all including thought on the cruise line.  Nothing good happens when bashing occurs

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 5:29 PM, mz-s said:

Yes, that's how Carnival is doing things with their new ships.

I agree it's a poor experience for set dining cruisers.

I don't see why they don't just allow everyone to reserve a table at the restaurant of their choosing when they want. Go to 100% "freestyle" dining.

I  think  the strategy  is  based  on  the  main  dining  rooms  not  being large  enough  to  accomodate  all  the  passengers . The  people  who  in the  past  have opted for  set  dining times were guaranteed their seats  in  a set location  with  the  same  waitstaff. by  having  this policy  it  encourages  traditional  diners  to  keep  with  their  traditions . 

5 hours ago, sra12574 said:

I  think  the strategy  is  based  on  the  main  dining  rooms  not  being large  enough  to  accomodate  all  the  passengers . The  people  who  in the  past  have opted for  set  dining times were guaranteed their seats  in  a set location  with  the  same  waitstaff. by  having  this policy  it  encourages  traditional  diners  to  keep  with  their  traditions . 

You would be correct

On 4/19/2023 at 4:59 PM, kwokpot said:

You're assuming this wasn't purposeful. Obviously it was. Unlike the rest of the fleet, Cucina and Chibang are MEANT to be MDR's and NOT Specialty restaurants. That's why the menus aren't the same for Cucina on Excel Class ships; the choices and quality has been downscaled since it's NOT SUPPOSED to be a specialty restaurant.

The menu is different, I did not find quality to be downscaled on Mardi Gras or Celebration. Some dishes are available on the Excel ships that are not available on the other ships.

1 hour ago, Thenagers said:

The new $8pp surcharge to eat at chibang a 2nd time will probably make it easier to fry it in the future. Looks like this policy goes into effect next week. 

I imagine the first night or two, Chibang will be very crowded - but as the week goes on it will be easier to get a table as many people don't want to pay $8pp. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

The menu is different, I did not find quality to be downscaled on Mardi Gras or Celebration. Some dishes are available on the Excel ships that are not available on the other ships.

Cmon.... you're implying that the quality of the food in Chibang with their Asian choices is the same as Jiji's?  The spring rolls were the same, but in general the quality is substantially better in Jiji's, IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Cmon.... you're implying that the quality of the food in Chibang with their Asian choices is the same as Jiji's?  The spring rolls were the same, but in general the quality is substantially better in Jiji's, IMHO.

I don't waste my time with Chibang even when free. Now Cucina is a different story.

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't waste my time with Chibang even when free. Now Cucina is a different story.

If you don't waste your time there, why imply that their food is as good as Jiji's?  Also, I would personally prefer to pay the 18 at Cucina on the Horizon then eat at Cucina for free on the MG.

4 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

If you don't waste your time there, why imply that their food is as good as Jiji's?  Also, I would personally prefer to pay the 18 at Cucina on the Horizon then eat at Cucina for free on the MG.

I didn't. You and others have brought Cucina into conversation. I could eat there every night on Mardi Gras/Celebration.

47 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I didn't. You and others have brought Cucina into conversation. I could eat there every night on Mardi Gras/Celebration.

That's why food is subjective.  I thought the choices, quality and quantity of the food at Cucina on the MG was sub par compared to Cucina on the Horizon.  Because of this, I would gladly pay 18 if the menu on the Excel Class was identical.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

That's why food is subjective.  I thought the choices, quality and quantity of the food at Cucina on the MG was sub par compared to Cucina on the Horizon.  Because of this, I would gladly pay 18 if the menu on the Excel Class was identical.  

Everything is subjective. We have no plans to return to Mardi Gras or Celebration.

On 4/20/2023 at 10:03 AM, kdr69 said:

HA!! not after exchange rates lol.

Exactly.  Spent $7000 for two cabins on Carnival for a 7 day cruise. Royal would have been $2K cheaper for the same kind of itinerary.  Carnival is always more pricier for us when we cruise than Royal.  I never understood the "discount" cruise line stuff.  I don't ever see it unless it is a 4 or 5 day cruise.