Service Charge removal experiences?

TheWaterDoc

18 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

I have no issue with taking good care of them as long as it it over and above and not at the expense of everyone else who puts them in position to give you great service. I do the same thing and tip with cash in addition to prepaid. 

For what it's worth, I've only ever had them removed twice in the 20+ years I've been cruising.  Once was because of some safety issues (won't go into detail, but almost went to the hospital).  The other is because I had already pre-paid them and they charged me anyway.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2Cruise4Ever said:

Because I know the money from my on board fees don't all go to the people... much of it goes somewhere else.

14 minutes ago, 2Cruise4Ever said:

Because I've been told by many NCL employees both on and off the ships

NCL is a publicly traded company. It would be considered fraud, and a scandal, if they misdirected the money to something else.

Not sure why you're so passionate about it, if you've only had to do it twice. If you know it goes somewhere else, why do you leave it on? 

Edited by Hutcha

1 minute ago, Hutcha said:

NCL is a publicly traded company. It would be considered fraud, and a scandal, if they misdirected the money to something else.

Not sure why you're so passionate about it, if you've only had to do it twice. 

Only trying to give perspective here.  People who wish to remove them are constantly harassed and ridiculed on this site (well, of course THAT's obvious!).  And, it doesn't matter if NCL is publicly traded or not...  "fees" can be directed just about anywhere.

1 minute ago, 2Cruise4Ever said:

"fees" can be directed just about anywhere.

If it were not marked, and advertised on their website, as going to the crewmembers, yes. Like a Resort fee, at a hotel.

1 hour ago, bkrickles1 said:

I was very surprised!

There was virtually no interaction between the guest and the representative.

Pretty sure the reason is Guest Services have been instructed not to get into a tiff with the guests which is what questioning why the DSC is being removed can easily lead to.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 2Cruise4Ever said:

Because I've been told by many NCL employees both on and off the ships

So your 'evidence' is simply heresay? I can just as easily claim that I've talked with many employees who have said different...but I don't...for good reason. You claim "much of it goes elsewhere". How "much"? And "where" exactly does it go? Is there actual proof, or is it all simply "trust me, I know"?

I once enjoyed "Dinner with an Office" with one of the Sr Accountants on board. We had a long and very eye-opening discussion about the DSC and tips (which, surprisingly, are not the same thing) over dinner. However, since I would only be repeating what I was told, and since I can't name the person to for them to defend the information, I intentionally do not repeat it. 

It really isn't worth it...people who are going to opt for Reason #1 or #2 are going to do so NO MATTER WHAT IS SAID ABOUT IT. They will willing accept what they want to hear and dismiss everything else out of hand. This is why these threads always take the same path, and this is why the guest services people simply hand over the form without comment or question...it is pointless to argue when someone is unwilling to hear anything other than their own opinion.

Too many vague generalities...FOR ME. As I stated previously, I need more than "take my word for it".

20 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

I once enjoyed "Dinner with an Office" with one of the Sr Accountants on board. We had a long and very eye-opening discussion about the DSC and tips (which, surprisingly, are not the same thing) over dinner. However, since I would only be repeating what I was told, and since I can't name the person to for them to defend the information, I intentionally do not repeat it. 

My guess, DSC goes towards variable overhead and Gratuities go the the qualified service staff. 

The OP did ask for experiences. Several years back we cruised and pre-paid the gratuities. Surprised at the end of the cruise to find it added to our bill. I went to have the duplicated charge removed and was told I would have to talk to NCL after we got home. Maybe I could have pressed, but with a line behind me, I did not. Did call and got it straightened out and received the refund. 

44 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

So your 'evidence' is simply heresay? I can just as easily claim that I've talked with many employees who have said different...but I don't...for good reason. You claim "much of it goes elsewhere". How "much"? And "where" exactly does it go? Is there actual proof, or is it all simply "trust me, I know"?

It really isn't worth it...people who are going to opt for Reason #1 or #2 are going to do so NO MATTER WHAT IS SAID ABOUT IT. They will willing accept what they want to hear and dismiss everything else out of hand. This is why these threads always take the same path, and this is why the guest services people simply hand over the form without comment or question...it is pointless to argue when someone is unwilling to hear anything other than their own opinion.

Too many vague generalities...FOR ME. As I stated previously, I need more than "take my word for it".

Fair enough.  Like I said in other posts, I was simply giving a different perspective.  For the same reason you mentioned, I will not go into specifics, having had conversations with accounting folks and senior leadership as well.  I will just leave it at that and accept the criticism I received from a "friend."  Like I said, you and I have had great exchanges on these boards.  Sad that it went this direction.

19 minutes ago, 2Cruise4Ever said:

Sad that it went this direction.

It only went there because you took it there. I only said the I need more than anecdotal evidence. I was just speaking of myself...no one else. There is simply no logical reason to twist my needs into some sort of insult to you. 

And...even if I was not talking about myself, then the criticism would have been aimed at the people who informed you...again, leaving you out of it as you just repeated what they told you.

Either way, it isn't about you. Don't you agree that if "most of it goes elsewhere" that we all need to know the how, why, and where behind that?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

It only went there because you took it there. I only said the I need more than anecdotal evidence. I was just speaking of myself...no one else. There is simply no logical reason to twist my needs into some sort of insult to you. 

And...even if I was not talking about myself, then the criticism would have been aimed at the people who informed you...again, leaving you out of it as you just repeated what they told you.

Either way, it isn't about you. Don't you agree that if "most of it goes elsewhere" that we all need to know the how, why, and where behind that?

I believe you took it there... but no matter... you just came off a little snarky... that's all.

9 hours ago, happytotravel said:

Hello,

I agree with you 100% plus.  I don't think people think about exactly where the grats go. I don't believe many of the passengers would enjoy working the days and hours the crew works. They are away from their families as much as 8 or 9 months at a time!

Everyone is willing to pay the price of their cruise, no matter what price they ending up paying.  Why argue over an extra $200.00.

Take care, happytotravel

I personally think these service charges are getting spread too thinly around the entire ship for "indirect" services. I have no problem tipping those who "directly" service me. I do have an issue with all the "behind the scenes" workers who should be being paid a significant wage for the jobs they perform and their wages not dependant on the passengers. I mean, when I go to a restaurant at home I tip the waiter and or bartender....I don't add extra to tip the chef, the diswasher, the prep cooks, the house cleaners etc. That is going beyond what I believe is over-kill. Just my thoughts on the subject. 

• Like 4

You know, I really do not care a whit if someone removes the DSC or not.  Not my business.  But, after reading through this thread (one of many that seem to turn this way), I now know why I do not go to Meet & Greets.  There are undoubtedly some of you that I would not want to talk to in person.

Happy Cruising and You Do You.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, REV_Cruiser said:

You know, I really do not care a whit if someone removes the DSC or not.  Not my business.  But, after reading through this thread (one of many that seem to turn this way), I now know why I do not go to Meet & Greets.  There are undoubtedly some of you that I would not want to talk to in person.

Happy Cruising and You Do You.

However you DO care or else you wouldn't have read, much less commented on the thread. Not to mention the "many" that you have read to justify your parenthetical. Given that you drop into the middle of a discussion, and instead of commenting on the topic you choose to broadly insult everyone with your self-endowed superiority, you can rest assured that you're not missed at the Meet & Greets. Weird however, that up until now you didn't go to the Meet & Greets and you had no idea why.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

However you DO care or else you wouldn't have read, much less commented on the thread. Not to mention the "many" that you have read to justify your parenthetical. Given that you drop into the middle of a discussion, and instead of commenting on the topic you choose to broadly insult everyone with your self-endowed superiority, you can rest assured that you're not missed at the Meet & Greets. Weird however, that up until now you didn't go to the Meet & Greets and you had no idea why.

How would you know if I have attended a meet and greet?  By the way, I have in the past and actually had an okay time, nothing that special. I have more to think about and enjoy than to get upset if someone chooses to spend their money on something or not.  I understand that the crew members benefit from the DSC and I have never withdrawn them even once.  I did not single anyone out in my post and may have gone too far. I am sorry about that.  My consternation is that it seem that these threads go deep into degrading comments and cheap shots.  That is what ultimately frustrated me.  I come here to try to learn.  Sorry for possibly overreacting but it does get frustrating when trying to get a different perspective on subjects and have to read the negativity during those reads.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, uneamie said:

I mean, when I go to a restaurant at home I tip the waiter and or bartender....I don't add extra to tip the chef, the diswasher, the prep cooks, the house cleaners etc.

Some restaurants in my town actually add an extra charge that supposedly goes to the kitchen staff.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tonit964 said:

I'm surprised that they give the form to fill out with no questions asked.

I would think that would be an automatic question every time someone asks for the form regarding the service they are/have been receiving so they can address the issue and hopefully get it corrected.

I think not addressing the reasons someone is requesting to remove the DSC is more a rarity.  They will ask you why you are removing the DSC so they can address the issues.  That’s the vast majority of the way it works when you ask them to remove the DSC.  They want to understand why and to be given the chance to address the issue(s).

Since this invariably took a route about DSC’s in general, in answer to the OP’s original question about how it was received when someone wanted to remove those charges, assuming the OP is asking BEFORE they’ve cruised, I’m certain someone in Guest Services is going to want to know what they did wrong and how they can rectify the situation.

Barring they can’t give any more reason than they want to “tip crew with cash as the cruise goes”, I’m sure they’ve heard that over and over again.  How they’d react?  Crew is trained to do whatever they can to make the guests happy.  I would imagine they’ll remove the DSC.  But, I would also imagine it wouldn’t take long before the news of the removal travels through the ranks.

Will it make a difference in service?  I don’t know.  You hope not.  But, if I ever got stiffed (when I was in the service industry as a bartender lo those many years ago), my displeasure would manifest itself in warning the other waitstaff/co-workers about the person who lacked the desire to tip us.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This brings to mind the quandary at a land-based restaurant...

Awesome EXEMPLARY service, horrible NASTY meal.

Stiff the server to make a point that the meal was so terrible?

Great food, terrible service.....

Walk back into the kitchen to tip the cooking staff separately?

9 hours ago, REV_Cruiser said:

How would you know if I have attended a meet and greet? 

Well, because you said "I do not go to Meet & Greets" and I simply took you at your word. Was it wrong for me to do so?

Edited by SeaShark

18 hours ago, Hutcha said:

Not sure why you're so passionate about it, if you've only had to do it twice. If you know it goes somewhere else, why do you leave it on? 

I can't believe I'm acutually getting into this conversation but just because it is a publicly traded company does not mean the money you pay for your cruise gratuities goes to the people that serve you.  They can pool all the money from all the ships and award people based on time on ships, level of job and from what I've "been told" Comment cards goes into the calculation.  That being said before Covid I was sailing about 4 times a year and have never considered removing fees "my choice".  However, based on what I've been reading on these boards lately about the service and my personal experiece last September on the Getaway I can understand.  It may possbily be the only way to get NCL to pay attention to the lack of care passengers are getting.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

Some restaurants in my town actually add an extra charge that supposedly goes to the kitchen staff.

So now they want YOU the customer to pay their emplyee's wages because they don't want to give them a decent salary. Sorry but it is not our job to donate to the cause. I serviced about 300 people a day as a banking customer service rep....making sure all was well with their accounts. I didn't get extra pay or tips for it. I got a salary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Barring they can’t give any more reason than they want to “tip crew with cash as the cruise goes”, I’m sure they’ve heard that over and over again.  How they’d react?  Crew is trained to do whatever they can to make the guests happy.  I would imagine they’ll remove the DSC.  But, I would also imagine it wouldn’t take long before the news of the removal travels through the ranks.

Two impacts.

1.  It's been reported multiple times on multiple lines/ships that the crew is notified of who has removed the DSC.  Some have reported that this information, even with a picture, is posted on a bulletin board in the crews quarters.

2.  It's been reported multiple times on multiple lines/ships that crew receiving cash from those identified are required to turn that cash into their supervisor on pain of dismisal.  

The bottom line is paying cash directly to crew is a fools errand since the crew doesn't get to keep the cash.

One other point. Since the crew is trained to make the passengers happy, reports from crew about their preferences are suspect since the crew will tell the passenger what the crew perceives the passenger wants to hear.