Semi/Live: an "Epic" TA, 15 nights NY to Barcelona 04/22/23 - 05/07/23

mking8288

BTS tour - started on time around 8:20 with about 25, lead by 1 CN team member and 2 security officers in the rear.  No photography allowed. 

First stop, walk down to Deck 3 forward to see laundry area. Walk up 1 to Deck 4 to exercise on I-95 to see quickly the  provisioning area, supplies for 20+ days freshly loaded as it is a TA crossing. Then walk up to Deck 5 AFT to walk thru the gallery area, stopping to see 2 stations and the main section where orders are assembled & picked up by the servers, etc.  We had a taste or sample of the chocolate strawberries or sweet treats. Exited the tour via the Taste MDR service doors into the dining area, passed the long lines of folks outside waiting to get seated for breakfast ... it was only 9 am.  A fellow Latitudes members commented that this is the shortest one ever ... indeed, set a new record, for our convenience. It was busy below deck, except when we walked briskly passed the empty crew mess hall in I-95 and didn't miss a beat 🤔

PXL_20230425_130557471.jpg

PXL_20230425_134520879.jpg

It's a good thing 🫢 that DW got her extra beauty sleep instead before going to a leisure breakfast.  I'll manage with the light & simple breakfast, like the morning, quick ... 😳 and it will be lunch soon enough.

Amazing, huh. 🙊

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Internet was working last night but offline this morning, maybe they reset the onboard server for maintenance or passed an area without overhead satellite coverage.  

No satellite issues - the Internet Manager says there was a scheduled onboard system update early this morning.

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

PXL_20230425_122002560.thumb.jpg.60743e12b3825a216608f915fca23583.jpg

PXL_20230425_122238046.thumb.jpg.2458b0d49f472c646f06e013950f8b3b.jpg

PXL_20230425_121742926.thumb.jpg.df59bb09cd7b6e720af3200647a71c7a.jpg

Screenshot_20230424-233519.png

Edited by AtSeaAlways
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

BTS tour - started on time around 8:20 with about 25, lead by 1 CN team member and 2 security officers in the rear.  No photography allowed. 

First stop, walk down to Deck 3 forward to see laundry area. Walk up 1 to Deck 4 to exercise on I-95 to see quickly the  provisioning area, supplies for 20+ days freshly loaded as it is a TA crossing. Then walk up to Deck 5 AFT to walk thru the gallery area, stopping to see 2 stations and the main section where orders are assembled & picked up by the servers, etc.  We had a taste or sample of the chocolate strawberries or sweet treats. Exited the tour via the Taste MDR service doors into the dining area, passed the long lines of folks outside waiting to get seated for breakfast ... it was only 9 am.  A fellow Latitudes members commented that this is the shortest one ever ... indeed, set a new record, for our convenience. It was busy below deck, except when we walked briskly passed the empty crew mess hall in I-95 and didn't miss a beat 🤔

I can only dream.  Glad to seeyou are enjoying your cruise. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

I can only dream.  Glad to seeyou are enjoying your cruise. 

Hi Henry.  Just saw this thread and hope you are having a great time.  

We were booked last year for the Epic TA, which left much earlier in April.  The 2nd I believe. But had to cancel right before final payment for multiple reasons.  I followed the roll call for a while and I think they missed Bermuda and one of the Azore islands.  You seem to be having better luck.

Hope to do a TA one of these days.

• Thanks 1

@EllieinNJ  Good morning and hi, Ellie and how's your dearest hubby doing now since his ... if memory of mine isn't off. 

Aren't you cruising soon - until then, follow long. 

Now that I think Epic's satellite WiFi is usable, do my best to virtually share our cruise.  Captain announced that tomorrow is another fine & good day at sea, swell of 3 meters or 10 ft. with comfortable temp.  Are you still in touch with Sharon, "The P" - going to give her a bumb - we missed sailing at 70% capacity and no lines or wait, and not needing reservations ahead. 

Best regards and stay in touch on CC.

• Like 1

Henry! The P here! I'm following along but have never been on a TA so no comments yet except to say that's the worst behind the Scenes tour I've ever read about and I think your pix show a very spacious ship. I wish calm seas for you and Susan.      Sharon

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mking8288 said:

About those $9 MSRP side dishes, 4 onion rings or 4 grilled zucchini slices, sauteed mushrooms or spinach - I wasn't impressed

I never pay full sticker price for zucchini! 🤣

Hope you're having a great cruise, @mking8288. I would have loved to be on this cruise. We were actually eyeing it but went on a shorter Mexican Riviera cruise with relatives instead—for more money. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

@gregluk Lines at the more popular & strategically situated spots & decks for service do not look long nor bad, busy but a few minutes at most - there are more folks drinking wine & walking around with it.  We aren't drinkers but there isn't a mob surrounding the lobby bars pushing or yelling ... ditto for Starbucks, I said it's fine.  Will see if I can get some pictures later.

Lines to get into the MDR, that's another sad story and it has more with some of the passengers onboard. I will come back to this subject a little later during the cruise - and also check out the report about Manhattan MDR with the cha cha dancing. 

@The P Hello, Susan said hi and was wondering ... I think you would've love this TA and it's last minute pricing, $549 or $598 and $749 to $849 for solo, plus the FAS and port taxes/fees/surcharges + of course, DSC.  One-way air isn't much more than a classic coach air to LAX or SFO on a wide-body jet with a short hub connection in Lisbon, free stopover of up to 10 days. Almost used our Marriott miles for the 2 nights stay.

You called it, spot on with ... unbelievable brief, watered down - I read a review recently about it, prepared but wanted to experience it personally. It's not going to negatively affect our time & enjoying the whole relaxing cruise.  Maybe I will consider writing a Dear super Mario note (Getaway) about ...

We just took an afternoon nap, Susan & her sister gone up to the buffet for a light meal as they also will go see Burn The Floor, while I do the DWO.  

Sea swell can be felt and small white caps, gentle rocking is good for sleeping later. 

@dcipjr Thanks for following virtually - now I got Mrs agreeing to look into future TA as we aren't sure about TP yet, too pricey for our taste & limited places.  With favorable Euro exchange rates, these are good values. 

Cagney's last night was better than the Getaway in late January for us, that's a plus. We finished the sides but the extra starter and soup/salad was a positive in options, just wish they offer more different choices.

More thoughts & comments when I fire up the Chromebook again - finger typing isn't my best way for a old school typist, despite touchscreens and voice recognition, etc.

PXL_20230425_210018177.thumb.jpg.bbcf0274f2925b7576f61885e224a166.jpg

These are the choices onboard, The Company Men - Vocal Group in Spiegel Tent.  As expected, no replacement for Priscilla and no magician or acrobatics. 

Screenshot_20230425-170732.thumb.png.950eac00b6f5491e1c9444fb0d44bc75.png

• Like 2

Latitude Platinum and above Behind The Scenes tours are (and have been) abbreviated since they are complimentary. For the full tour (that includes the bridge) you’ll have to pay full price at the Cruise Next or Excursion desk. 

When you decide to go to a MDR to dine and find there’s a long queue, it means you made the same decision to go and dine at the same time as the 1000 others. Whenever it happened to us, we just go off to the nearby bar for a cocktail or two until the queue dispersed. 

Edited by bluesea777
  • Haha 1

Getting good meals in specialty restaurants varies by ship and timing and who the chefs are in those restaurants.

Once you dine in a particular restaurant on a ship at one time and you had a great meal, and later you go back there - same ship, same restaurant but different time, you might find the experience different. 

Remember the crew rotate…. Same

thing goes with bars and “favorite bartenders”. 

We learnt that on our 3rd Epic cruise 🤷‍♀️

Edited by bluesea777

8 hours ago, gregluk said:

@mking8288

What are the queues like at bars for drinks? Are people having to wait a while to get served? How long roughly?

I guess there will be some bars that are quieter than others which can be used to minimise queues.

It was announced at our event the ship is fully crewed.  You can always find an uncrowded bar.  

PXL_20230426_010858373.jpg

PXL_20230426_010910798.jpg

Bars were that busy and O'Sheehan's have no wait at 9 pm and half the tables empty, unlike Shanghai Restaurant or MDR, still has a short line. 

There is now a separate line for those with reservations for the MDR and Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond & Ambassador.  Except, you might not know or see the kiosk from the back of the line and the view blocked by crowds & cluster of people standing around the passage or corridors all around. 

PXL_20230426_010714738.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Garden Cafe's buffet menu tonight. It closes at 9:30 pm promptly.  Some of the officers & senior crew do come up near closing time to eat, typically discreetly in a remote corner. 

With air temperature around 60, pretty empty out in the pool area. 

PXL_20230426_013648200.jpg

PXL_20230426_013615794.jpg

PXL_20230426_013606464.jpg

PXL_20230426_013759894.jpg

PXL_20230426_013741913.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Latitude Platinum and above Behind The Scenes tours are (and have been) abbreviated since they are complimentary. For the full tour (that includes the bridge) you’ll have to pay full price at the Cruise Next or Excursion desk. 

On the 2/26 Getaway our BTS tour was 2 hours but did not include the bridge. 

• Thanks 1

Tonight, we move the clock or forward by 1 hour again, 1 less hour of sleep for some. Continue to adjust toward time zones ahead in the Azores, Portugal & Spain - better than coping with jetlags 🤓 

Day 5 almost here - will be a 2 hour time difference with New York when we wake up - old fashion watches easily changed & don't get confused, better than world clock app on the iPhone or smartphone 📱

Weather is for possibly rain, cooler & likely indoors. Our deep balcony should give us fair protection, with a 3 season hoodie jacket.  Otherwise, going to be a challenge to find quieter indoor space, especially to read.  Atrium lobby too small with multiple events scheduled and there's nearly non-stop mah jong games in the card room.  La Cucina is available as breakout space for the buffet, except evenings - but careful if taking buffet food to 1 deck below with the stairs.  Le Bistro is also available as well. 

PXL_20230426_030946651.thumb.jpg.c6cbeb2e3ed721c4e692aa74b9b70023.jpg

Ship is cruising at 18 knots, air temperature is 62 degrees outside with wind at 30, gentle swaying with sea swell. 

Navigation Ch.21 does not display sea state, wave heights or other data.  Windy App is my partner to help look ahead. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bedfordmom said:

On the 2/26 Getaway our BTS tour was 2 hours but did not include the bridge. 

Bingo, we felt rushed and the first time to be told that absolutely no photography whatsoever at any time while this guy was in charge of the tour, his rules 😳 perhaps 🙄 well 😷 😬 

CruiseCritic - posted as a FYI. Been to a few of these over the years and I don't have a problem per se with water-downed rewards, generally. 

Crew members and other junior officers & workers on the Epic have been wonderful & friendly.  

• Like 1

We met the GM's secretary in the atrium lobby by CruiseNext, and were walked over to the Manhattan MDR for our Dine With Officers.  There must be at least 3 tables tonight, if not 4 - additional ones on subsequent sea days.  Latitudes CN welcome back reception are scheduled for 6 pm nightly in the Bliss Lounge, 2 decks at a time - different nights. 

There were 6 Sapphire together at our table, hosted by the Asst Manager of Photography.  Marco is from South Africa and been on different NCL ships, quite social with the group.  Plenty of complimentary wine for our dinner - the long table set-up isn't exactly good for a group gathering in a loud, noisy & busy restaurant ... unlike being in Le Bistro or a semi-private MDR section on the Dawn/Jewel class ship.   No group photos taken as a momento, however ... oh, well. 

DW was planning to come but since we booked Burn The Floor for 7 pm and it's sold out, changing isn't possible. She decided to go with her sister who hasn't seen BTF, and went to the Epic Theater for the show ... they enjoyed & like it. 

PXL_20230426_003751041.jpg

PXL_20230426_004711577.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2