Semi/Live: an "Epic" TA, 15 nights NY to Barcelona 04/22/23 - 05/07/23

mking8288

Hi,

Just saw your posting on the Bliss thread.  Thought I would bring to your attention a cruise some friends of mine are making next June on The Spirit.  It is a Hawaiian Island cruise from Honolulu, a sea journey to Alaska, and an Alaskan cruise ending in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.  Your Cruise Next person could give you more information.

13 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Keep in mind that re-positioning cruise end in Vancouver, British Columbia and you have to get from there to Seattle by a different means (PSVA Act-someday Congress needs to change that law but probably not in my lifetime).

Amtrak will take you from Vancouver BC to Seattle King Street Station in about four hours for ~$45-60USD, and it's quite a lovely ride. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MarySueSays said:

Amtrak will take you from Vancouver BC to Seattle King Street Station in about four hours for ~$45-60USD, and it's quite a lovely ride. 

Yes, but as of right now the train leaves Vancouver for Seattle too early for cruise ship passengers (7:00 A.M. or so).  As a rule, passengers do not leave the ship until 7:30 or so. Yes, it is a wonderful trip.  Does not make connections to sail out of Vancouver without adding another day.

Edited by www3traveler
correct spelling
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Yes, but as of right now the train leaves Vancouver for Seattle too early for cruise ship passengers (7:00 A.M. or so).  As a rule, passengers do not leave the ship until 7:30 or so. Yes, it is a wonderful trip.  Does not make connections to sail out of Vancouver without adding another day.

There's a second train at 5pm. Source: I rode it in February. The connecting buses are also a good option, sold by Amtrak and from the same stations, those run four times a day I believe. 

• Thanks 1

We tried Shanghai for dinner.  Got in line a bit after five, we were seated 5:35 or so.  The venue was cute.   None of the three dishes, based on simplified Corporate recipies, were successful.  The Kung Po was bland, the Lemon Chicken mushy and too lemony and the Fried Rice tasted off.   I was studying the buffet pizza situation - the dough is made in a press vs hand tossed which might explain things- there is a step in the kneading involving gluten I think.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Keep in mind that re-positioning cruise end in Vancouver, British Columbia and you have to get from there to Seattle by a different means (PSVA Act-someday Congress needs to change that law but probably not in my lifetime).

You offered to show them around, why not just pick them up there to avoid a bus or train?

Yeah, the law is a pain.  Maybe a bus with signs and contingent picks up MKing and DW?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mking8288 said:

This afternoon, exhaust & blue tinted smoke from the ship's stacks are clearly visible as we look AFT, blowing away from the ship.

PXL_20230427_002632800.thumb.jpg.b89078bdc99c9291dc9e7b2161a722c3.jpg

PXL_20230427_002643816.jpg

A little bit foggy & misty at the moment, stepping back inside - afternoon nap 😁   Afternoon cookies, hidden in a corner of the buffet @ 2:30 pm ( a fellow ship passenger whispered in the elevator earlier ) - high tea, British style, I think not.

PXL_20230427_011202572.jpg

Maybe a leaky gasket?

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 9:03 AM, mking8288 said:

BTS tour - started on time around 8:20 with about 25, lead by 1 CN team member and 2 security officers in the rear.  No photography allowed. 

First stop, walk down to Deck 3 forward to see laundry area. Walk up 1 to Deck 4 to exercise on I-95 to see quickly the  provisioning area, supplies for 20+ days freshly loaded as it is a TA crossing. Then walk up to Deck 5 AFT to walk thru the gallery area, stopping to see 2 stations and the main section where orders are assembled & picked up by the servers, etc.  We had a taste or sample of the chocolate strawberries or sweet treats. Exited the tour via the Taste MDR service doors into the dining area, passed the long lines of folks outside waiting to get seated for breakfast ... it was only 9 am.  A fellow Latitudes members commented that this is the shortest one ever ... indeed, set a new record, for our convenience. It was busy below deck, except when we walked briskly passed the empty crew mess hall in I-95 and didn't miss a beat 🤔

PXL_20230425_130557471.jpg

PXL_20230425_134520879.jpg

It's a good thing 🫢 that DW got her extra beauty sleep instead before going to a leisure breakfast.  I'll manage with the light & simple breakfast, like the morning, quick ... 😳 and it will be lunch soon enough.

Amazing, huh. 🙊

I was on the previous Epic sailing and took the paid Behind the Scenes tour. It was over two hours long. We were allowed to take photos at specific areas. Our first stop was in the Epic theater and had a nice conversation with the stage manager.We saw the galley, laundry, engineering room, and went on the bridge. We also got a group photo. I prefer the individual ones they used to take though.

I agree, the free one should be longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

You offered to show them around, why not just pick them up there to avoid a bus or train?

Yeah, the law is a pain.  Maybe a bus with signs and contingent picks up MKing and DW?

I live 320 +miles South and East of Seattle, 10 miles North of the Washington/Oregon stateline.

6 hours ago, dexddd said:

Maybe a leaky gasket?

Nah, perhaps the catalytic converters are missing 😁🙊😬

And, don't bust www3travelers' chops, maybe if we get on a NCL sailing with a stop in Oregon and if he isn't on a cruise, we can just do a quick meet & greet at the cruise pier and have coffee or high tea.  

4 hours ago, www3traveler said:

I live 320 +miles South and East of Seattle, 10 miles North of the Washington/Oregon stateline.

That's a long way to travel to greet a stranger in the port of Seattle, we thank you for the kindness. Maybe when do have a coastal one stopping in Portland, that's much closer 🤗 for coffee & chatting in person. 

9 hours ago, AtSeaAlways said:

We tried Shanghai ... The venue was cute.   None of the three dishes, based on simplified Corporate recipies, were successful ...

I am leaving comments for the GM, perhaps if they open it up for sea day lunch - it will relieve the long lines at Taste with a nearly full ship and not opening the bigger Manhattan MDR. 

Very busy & crowded atrium lobby at midday. Thankfully, they did not add extra chairs for overflow, like the Escape (pre-Covid) with the lounge sofa hogs out in force.  

PXL_20230427_170853368.jpg

PXL_20230427_171658411.jpg

PXL_20230427_170811795.jpg

Edited by mking8288

With the clock change overnight again, we sleep past MDR breakfast (open 8 to 10 am) and went to OSH for a leisurely but hot English breakfast, loaded plus juice & coffee, quick service & promptly served in a cheerful manner. No lines & no waiting, just fewer selections & they don't have salmon & bagel. 

Below on Deck 5, atrium filled up with folks for the next event.  No seats available aside from above at OSH overlooking the giant HDTV screen.

PXL_20230427_133615830.thumb.jpg.58b3e86532e2ed4041745f438e69b5c3.jpg

PXL_20230427_133604598.jpg

PXL_20230427_133509256.jpg

PXL_20230427_150729435.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Nah, perhaps the catalytic converters are missing 😁🙊😬

And, don't bust www3travelers' chops, maybe if we get on a NCL sailing with a stop in Oregon and if he isn't on a cruise, we can just do a quick meet & greet at the cruise pier and have coffee or high tea.  

Some cruises stop in Astoria, Oregon (near the mouth of the Columbia River--Portland is a good 90+miles upriver).  Astoria is a very historic community.  William Clark and Meriwether "wintered" near Astoria in what has become Fort Clatsop.  Fort Clatsop has been re-built and is extremely interesting.  The Bar at the mouth of the Columbia River also has an interesting history - once known as 
The Graveyard of the Pacific" because of so many ships lost trying to cross the Bar (even now, the Bar can be very dangerous.

• Thanks 1

The service aboard has been uniformly excellent.  The little things matter - picking up dishes, smiles.  They have really good officers.  There is no reason an older, quirky ship could not win an award or two.  The Jade would earn prizes for service etc. for years. Awards come from positive reviews 🙂

They do have the stabilizers out today.  We are a little top heavy, but are doing ok at over 1000 feet.  

My plan to not have any dessert was foiled at lunch.  And will be tested again soon -do scones count?  The Spanish lesson was a wake up call- DW has been studying languages  I have not. 

20230427_122750-01.jpeg

Edited by AtSeaAlways
  • Like 3

@AtSeaAlways and @Clay, et. al. 

Just in case you aren't aware, as Platinum & Sapphire or Diamonds, with 15 days at sea, we get 2 free bags of laundry done, 2 of us would get 4 bags.  The mini voucher isn't needed, just write it down on the laundry slip and if accidentally billed, notify Guest Services and they will correct it. 

We just sent out our 1st bag this morning ... nice to have clean & fresh laundry to disembark at the end and not worry about doing them at the hotel post-cruuse. 👍🤓👌

iCafe Manager's desk inside the Library on Deck 5 Fwd was very busy this afternoon - issues with WiFi and lost minutes.  Alex is a young & nice tech person sitting behind the desk.

PXL_20230427_185135585.jpg

• Like 1

Visuals of our "late" MDR lunch, got in before closing time.  Creamy mushroom soup (not pictured) was good, Cobb salad and stuffed potatoe as entree, with flan de coco to bring up the calories, and a freshly brewed cup of coffee.

PXL_20230427_180235290.jpg

PXL_20230427_180933447.jpg

PXL_20230427_182846836.thumb.jpg.e3db0ac885f1931007c42c5a408242a5.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

Seas are really not choppy, a little white caps here & there, sitting out here on our balcony with iPad mini, watching Prime movie downloaded quietly on BT earbuds, and iced coffee in hand ... heavenly 😇 at peace, feeling blessed that we are doing this TA. 

Satellite WiFi is a bit sparodic today due to unspecified interference, magnetic solar storms ?  Beats those VHF or HF signals, which is still in use by mariners around the world.  

No further words about what that medical code call last night was for, maybe one of the atriums lounge hog fall asleep or tripped up, or the mah jong players passed out from non-stop gaming since 8 am 😬😬 

PXL_20230427_191100323.jpg

PXL_20230427_200011521.jpg

PXL_20230427_191116495.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, room with a view said:

Is it a problem for those onboard and can it be fixed ? ...thanks

As a gym rat spending at least 2 hours in the gym on the elliptical and then free stretch classes. I couldn’t help but notice no free stretch or fab abs classes. Btw all that exercise doesn’t help with the weight gain. LOl

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, room with a view said:

Is it a problem for those onboard and can it be fixed ? ...thanks

He is I think referring to steam from the stack which was described in the technical talk today as a feature of the scrubbing system when burning heavy fuel oil.  

The Internet is a little slow - it is acting congested - to be expected on a sea day.  

20230424_095929-01.jpeg

Edited by AtSeaAlways

Memory lanes - old Bermuda pictures with the Norwegian Majesty and Crown, docking at St. George and the sail into Hamilton, and docked overnight before leaving ... still fond of those days, and getting tossed around in 20 to 30 ft. seas with a 42 or 43,000 ton cruise ship then.  Still miss those fun roller coaster ride nearly 20 years ago. 

For those that didn't get the chance to see anything last Saturday, the old, unfinished church in SG - 

DSCF0700.JPG

DSCF0033.JPG

DSCF0715.JPG

DSCF0717.JPG

DSCF0011.JPG

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Indeed, we are and thanks.  Fellow ex/current shareholders at CVG, perhaps ??  We are in the sixth corp ...  It's among the best kept secrets around here.  Take care & best regards. 

My uncle lived there years ago and my nephew purchased there recently.  My husband and I grew up very close by to there.  Everyone I know who lives there loves it! So convenient to the NYC ports.

Edited by disneylover89
  • Like 1