Puntarenas Costa Rica Excursion Options

Jack E Dawson

We are booked on the August 22nd LA to Ft. Lauderdale Panama Canal cruise that stops in Puntarenas Costa Rica. Does anyone have any experience with either the Walk In the Clouds excursion or the Forest Sky Walk excursion? We are looking for the one that offers the best rainforest experience. Fitness is not an issue.

Thanks

Jack

Nothing to do in the sad little town.  When we were there on Princess, some of our shipmates did the sky walk (but not sure it was the same vendor).  It was a long 1 1/2 hour bus ride.  The only “wild” animals they saw were in cages at the place, and the included lunch was nothing more than bagged sandwiches. They did say that the country was beautiful.  

We did a great tour in 2015 with Odyssey Tours that was Highlights of Puntarenas and we loved it.  It did not go to the Forest Sky walk.  We heard some other people did go to the Forest Sky walk and loved it.

Edited by alibabacruisers

We were there in Aug 22. We didn't organize anything in advance but a tour agent found us on the wharf and we negotiated a mini-van trip @US$70 pp to Carrar NP and the Sky walk.  The driver got lost going to the sky walk -  we were actually the first group to do it since Covid - all 7 of us. It was a bit muddy walking down to the start - but it was a pretty good sky walk (I"ve done a lot of them in various places). Not difficult physically unless you have totally inappropriate shoes. Its is the jungle! We also didn't seen any animals and a only a few birds. It rained the whole time LOL 

We stopped at a local restaraunt for lunch at a beach (not sure where - we just asked the guide to stop somewhere). 

On return I did walk the town - looking and finding some OTC medicine. I can agree there is very little to  see there, but it was nice to use my rusty Spanish again. 

The access to the sky walk is single track - so I wouldn't do it with a large ship's excursion as you will no doubt be stuck behind someone very slow  (or you will be the slow one LOL) 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 1