Havila Northern light Cruise Stateroom choices and drink package

MarieRD

have read through some of the comments on other Havila cruise ship threads, but I could not quite find what I was looking for. We are thinking of taking a Havila Northern Light cruise in the fall of 2024. There are some cabin choices, and we are wondering if anyone has any insights on pros and cons of the Panorama Deluxe and Jr. Suite with Balcony. I like having large forward-facing windows of the Panorama Deluxe cabin, but the room does not have balconies. Jr. Suite has a large balcony and big windows, but you only can view one side of the ship. It would probably be too cold to stay outside too long but might come in handy to take quick outside pictures. 

I believe the Jr. Suite comes with the Havila Gold package, which might be useful. We are also wondering about the alcohol package. They have 50 units package for about $614, 70 for $819 or 100 units. We are not heavy drinkers so either get a package of 50 units or opt to pay as we go.  

We have only done a small ship cruise in Galapagos so still lots to learn. Any insights or suggestions will be appreciated. 

I haven't been inside the panorama deluxe cabins, only seen them through the open doors, and they do indeed have nice large windows, facing forward.  I considered these at first, but when I found out there were no side facing windows, decided on the junior suite.

We went in mid February, and I had thought the balcony might be of limited use, but we used it a lot.  Not for lounging around, but for viewing ports and scenery (and northern lights at times).  The weather was cold, but not usually the extremes I expected (the gulf stream keeps the Norway coast warmer than inland). I really enjoyed watching and taking photos as we came into ports from the balcony, and it's easy to pop back into the nice warm room when/if you get cold.  We never even closed the curtains, watching some of the nighttime activity was enjoyable, and I didn't mind if I was awakened by the lights when coming into ports.

The gold package that comes with the suites is also nice...you can stop by the cafe any time, if you'd rather do that than the dining room, or for a snack or something to drink, coffees, etc.  Breakfast for the suites is in the Havrand dining room, rather than the main dining room, which is nice as you can go in when you choose.  The suites also give you a couple of nights in the Havrand dining room for some fancy dining.

You can pretty much just do the math on the drinks packages, figuring maybe $10-12 per as a ball-park figure.  I don't drink so can't really help beyond that, but if 50 drinks would do you for the 11-12 days, it's probably a bit cheaper, or at least easier.

I don't think you can lose with either the forward views of the pano cabins or the junior suites, or a balcony cabin, but the gold package was nice to have.

The Junior suites and Pano cabins are on deck 7, so it's an easy and quick trip to deck 9, with the open deck aft and the large observation lounge forward, so I didn't feel at all limited by being on one side.  Those forward windows are very large and probably have a great view while underway, but I'd still pick the suite if (or actually, when) we go again. 

Just bring good quality warm clothes...layers, wool, down, and good head coverings such as wool watchcap and or expedition hat with ear flaps, gloves, and by all means a scarf, and the cold probably won't be much of an issue.

We had one of the forward junior suites, I think the ones further aft may be a little quieter...there were some occasional 'klunks' and ship noises but it was a very quiet ship, and the only thing that would wake me was the lights from the port (since we left the curtains open).  The pano cabins are forward also.

• Like 3

Thank you so much for the valuable information. We are leaning towards getting a Jr. suite and your comment is helping us firming up our decision.  We will definitely bring warm clothes and winter gears. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Havila Castor in January.  It was colder at my parents’ house in upstate NY over Christmas than at any place in Norway.  It was, however, colder on othe trips after us. We were mostly overcast the entire trip.

The biggest problem taking photos outside wasn’t my torso getting cold but my hands.  There were many times I ran outside with no coat to get photos and it was my hands that drove me back in.

My mother and I each had Superior Doubles on Deck 4.  I got Havila Gold for both of us as she eats no seafood and it comes with a dinner in Havrand each direction.  When I originally booked us on Polaris, we had a 30 drink package which we shared (alcohol packages can be shared, non-alcohol cannot) but got upgraded to the 50 drink package when we had to rebook.  The last night, I bought a lot of free drinks in the lounge as we had just made it to 30 drinks.  There’s also a free happy hour for Havila Gold as well.

For clothing, layer layer layer.  You will be riding on buses to get to excursions and you will get warm.  You’ll want to be able to take layers off.  There’s also a free laundry on Deck 4.  You will want to bring good boots with the ability to add grippers and gloves.

• Like 1

Thank you so very much! I did not know that you can share the alcohol package. In that case we might consider getting at least one. As to the outside temperature, we would sure to bring lots of warm clothes and gloves. I hope you and your mother had a good time. 

19 hours ago, MarieRD said:

Thank you so very much! I did not know that you can share the alcohol package. In that case we might consider getting at least one. As to the outside temperature, we would sure to bring lots of warm clothes and gloves. I hope you and your mother had a good time. 

We had a fantastic time.  We each had our own cabins and she made friends on the boat so I didn’t worry about when I had to work.  She loved the art nouveau walking tour in Alesund and dog sledding in Tromso the most.  The boat has lots of places to just watch the scenery go by so it’s very relaxing.

• 2 months later...
On 4/30/2023 at 2:29 PM, UDChE89 said:

I was on the Havila Castor in January.  It was colder at my parents’ house in upstate NY over Christmas than at any place in Norway.  It was, however, colder on othe trips after us. We were mostly overcast the entire trip.

The biggest problem taking photos outside wasn’t my torso getting cold but my hands.  There were many times I ran outside with no coat to get photos and it was my hands that drove me back in.

My mother and I each had Superior Doubles on Deck 4.  I got Havila Gold for both of us as she eats no seafood and it comes with a dinner in Havrand each direction.  When I originally booked us on Polaris, we had a 30 drink package which we shared (alcohol packages can be shared, non-alcohol cannot) but got upgraded to the 50 drink package when we had to rebook.  The last night, I bought a lot of free drinks in the lounge as we had just made it to 30 drinks.  There’s also a free happy hour for Havila Gold as well.

For clothing, layer layer layer.  You will be riding on buses to get to excursions and you will get warm.  You’ll want to be able to take layers off.  There’s also a free laundry on Deck 4.  You will want to bring good boots with the ability to add grippers and gloves.

Hello UDChE89,

We are booked to go in October and have tossed around getting the Gold Package as I don't eat seafood or fish like your mom.

Do you remember if they had other choices each night? We found a few sample menus and one had reindeer! Not sure I could eat that either since we have them as backyard pets Lol.

3 hours ago, Nikkibird said:

Hello UDChE89,

We are booked to go in October and have tossed around getting the Gold Package as I don't eat seafood or fish like your mom.

Do you remember if they had other choices each night? We found a few sample menus and one had reindeer! Not sure I could eat that either since we have them as backyard pets Lol.

There were additional choices with the Gold package at each meal.  Breakfast opened up a few more egg and pastry options.  Lunch gave a few more but we felt lunch was the weakest meal of them all.  There were a few more at dinner too.  In addition, Gold gives you one free meal in Hildring in each direction.

The reindeer was delicious.  We actually had maybe a little too much of it…

We have a junior suite on the Capella in November. This will be an adventure for us, used to cruising on Princess. I know this is much different. But wanted a chance to see the northern lights in comfort!

We have reserved Panoramic Deluxe 7108 for 5 December 2024.

I believe that the ‘panoramic’ cabins have panoramic views forward and aside (athwartship).

I am pressing Milady Wife for dining upgrade and drinks upgrade for better selection rather than quantity.

We each will select two excursions.  Mine are Nidaros Cathedral, King Olaf II Saint Olaf my patron saint, and Nord Kapp.

I have made a ‘roll call’ thread for out cruise.

We live at 45ºN 86ºW in Lake Michigan and will dress for a cold winter.  Down is good only if one understands its limitations.  I’m bringing polypropylene and layers.

To everyone going in the fall and winter, I hope you have luck with the Northern Lights!  I'm not quite ready for a Norway trip in winter. Next June for me!  As I mentioned in another thread, I would have to buy a whole cold weather wardrobe to go that far north!  The warmest I have now is what most Northern Hemisphere folks would describe as a "fall jacket"!!

Have fun on Havila!

~Nancy

12 hours ago, Doug_Nightmare said:

We have reserved Panoramic Deluxe 7108 for 5 December 2024.

I believe that the ‘panoramic’ cabins have panoramic views forward and aside (athwartship).

I am pressing Milady Wife for dining upgrade and drinks upgrade for better selection rather than quantity.

We each will select two excursions.  Mine are Nidaros Cathedral, King Olaf II Saint Olaf my patron saint, and Nord Kapp.

I have made a ‘roll call’ thread for out cruise.

We live at 45ºN 86ºW in Lake Michigan and will dress for a cold winter.  Down is good only if one understands its limitations.  I’m bringing polypropylene and layers.

Are you doing the full round trip or just one way?  The reason I ask is that there are fewer excursion options coming south.  The Art Deco walking tour in Alesund was a nice thing for us since we had a bit of a hectic time getting to Bergen and didn’t feel like another 8 hour boat ride to Geirangerfjord.  I’d also pass on the Saltstraumen excursion.  Yes, it got us off the boat but all it was was a drive to a river.  The dog sledding in Tromso was our favorite.

You’ll do well with layers.  The laundry facilities are a great benefit so I suggest you only bring half the amount of clothes you need and plan to do laundry.  Best part is it’s free.

On 7/13/2023 at 5:45 AM, Doug_Nightmare said:

Å gratis, that’s good to know.  And detergent?  I have a dozen single use packets on my list.

Don’t have to worry about detergent.  It’s automatically dispensed to the washer.

• Thanks 1