Is Marella letting standards slip?

Sailed Discovery 2 in August, having previously sailed Thomson, Tui before the pandemic, I was a little apprehensive on what to expect having read some negative posts regarding slipping standards etc.

Things have definitely changed, but in my opinion not for the worse, I found the MDR much better, more efficient, quicker but still very attentive, food was of a good standard, hot and presented very well.

Buffet and snackshack etc, food was more than acceptable but there seemed far less choices than previoys cruises.

Having sailed Discovery 1 before the pandemic where the waiter and bar service was somewhat slow, Discovery 2 was excellent and speedy, I upgraded to the premium drinks package as although the standard was adequate I wanted a full variety of choice and for the additional £160 for us both I felt it offered value for money, drinks were good quality and plentiful, Live bar and Atrium being our favourites.

Just my opinion, but we thought the theatre style shows were not up to the previous standards and somewhat amateurish and very loud, Squid and Anchor was mainly audience interaction led game shows, Karaoke and silent disco etc, good for families but not necessarily for us but what we did see was good and humorous at times.

So in answer to the question "Is Marella letting standards slip" I'd say no, but they are changing with the times just like most mainstream lines, would I sail again yes at the drop of a hat.

S1971

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, howmuch! said:

Thats good to here as we are on her for 2 weeks from the 17th Oct.

I'm sure you'll have a great time as we did.

Don't miss the Bandjam on the penultimate night of each section it's a great couple of hours entertainment.