Is Marella letting standards slip?

On 4/22/2023 at 5:45 PM, Brummijam said:

One of the reviews off this board from January this year on Explorer.🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh dear. A disappointing experience. The ship is kept very clean. The balcony was large and the hammock was a nice touch. Muster drills are now on video and are faster than before. But: 

Tui/Marella has now sunk so far downmarket that I am surprised they don’t market this as a submarine. The ship is now so mediocre and lacking in character, charm or features that it now resembles a floating Travelodge at best. 

The food on board is purely functional. With the exception of the steak restaurant, don’t bother paying for premium restaurants as the food and accompanying service is clueless and scripted. The “Dining Club” was almost hilarious in its incompetence and we felt it was like attending a cooking evening by well meaning but untrained primary school kids role playing a fine dining setup. Terrible!

The staff often lack initiative, confidence or experience and I witnessed some worrying bullying behaviour between them. We sat next to crew meetings held in the coffee bar where this was being discussed a few inches away. Unprofessional in the extreme. Weird really. Most staff mean well but many seem to be to be frightened of showing any independent thought. Amazing deterioration post-Covid. 

Since we last travelled on the Explorer, all signs of luxury have disappeared. The former Champneys Spa is now an anonymous sales-led treatment business and there are no cabanas on deck to rent any more. The wine selections are pitiful and the named choices absent while the choice and quality of the food onboard now resembles that found in a typical motorway service station. The accountants have taken over and there is a meanness everywhere in our opinion. It is like a low-rent wedding party really. A week spent in an airport terminal. 

There is a lack of joy on this ship. Guests seemed muted. Long waits at under-staffed bars too. 

The bean counting is sad. Food portions outside the buffet are tiny (2 prawns in a paid for premium prawn cocktail for example!!!) They even charge £5 for shuttle buses now to get you out of ports where it would be a 25 minute walk to just get out of the industrial docking areas. Mean. 

You get what you pay for I guess, but this is now almost a third-world experience compared to the past. The library (The Attic) had literally zero books left and the deserted gamer’s zone features some broken Playstations and derelict seating. Several areas of the boat seemed unused compared to last time and the entertainment consists of a couple of lounge singers and the theatre shows are threadbare imitations of the past efforts. 

Most of the guests seemed to be first time cruisers and seemed happy (relieved even) with the free booze and pile it high burgers, sausages and chips. The cruise attracted a 60+ crowd of almost entirely British people who seemed friendly and quiet and who hailed predominantly from a Northern English/Scottish working-class background. 

Embarkation was efficient, the cleaners are very swift and good and while the cabins are old, they are clean and offer some great balcony space for the money. It feels like Ryanair have gone into the cruising business and I guess that’s fine. It’s a cheap cruise but we were sad to see the decline in standards. We did not enjoy the experience, hated the food and it was a joy to get off the boat. 

Cabin Review

Ok. Knackered. But nice terrace with hammock. Fridge.

Have read very similar reviews on several cruise forums on FB. Very sad as we loved our Thomson / Marella cruises but the decline started with the change of name to Marella and the AI. 

Surprised that there was a high proportion of guests from Scotland and the north of England as Marella have reduced the number of cruises available form regional airports. The few that are available are generally a lot more expensive than say Gatwick or Birmingham. We are really struggling to find something at the moment. P&O have great deals but can't be bothered with the journey down to Southampton any more.

On 4/27/2023 at 5:06 PM, Sally V Lamb said:

Brummijam is correct in most respects. Standards have slipped but no one objects. Just back from a week around the Canaries and I would add the following.  Breakfast very poor selection with bacon of a low fatty nature. No tomatoes some days and the waiter said they rationed these to every other day. Quite ridiculous considering they stock up weekly in Tenerife where they are abundant. Mushrooms sliced so thinly you could not tell what they were.  Hash browns on alternate days.

I found the main broadway shows very good and have no complaints here. However there was a tendency for some passengers - mostly scottish - as they sat by us and told us they were - would pick up the free drinks on the way in and then nip out the other entrance and come back with more drinks. As the drinks were free regardless on board I cannot see that the advantage is. These were also the people going to the toilet throughout the show. The doors should be shut as well to prevent a procession of late comers.

That said the ship is in good condition,was well run day to day and we enjoyed ourselves.

We are Scottish and drink very little. Terrible observation on your part but typical of some people from the south who think all Scots are drunks and are mean. You need to get out more. By the way you said they picked up free drinks. The drinks on Marella are not free. They are included in the price of the cruise and  paid for up front. 

• Like 2

On 4/28/2023 at 11:24 AM, Brummijam said:

The post that I put up as an example (post no5) does mention Scottish and northern English passengers, but not in a derogatory way as far as I can tell.

I have enjoyed many cruises meeting other pax from all over the United Kingdom and never had any problems whatsoever. (Apart from some understanding some very broad accents)😂  We are so lucky to live in the UK in that wherever we go we can always find friendly aproachable people.

The original post was regarding Marella /TUI standards rather than its guests.😉

In a poll on British accents, Scottish accents were at the top and Birmingham accents were at the very bottom, lol!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Have read very similar reviews on several cruise forums on FB. Very sad as we loved our Thomson / Marella cruises but the decline started with the change of name to Marella and the AI. 

Surprised that there was a high proportion of guests from Scotland and the north of England as Marella have reduced the number of cruises available form regional airports. The few that are available are generally a lot more expensive than say Gatwick or Birmingham. We are really struggling to find something at the moment. P&O have great deals but can't be bothered with the journey down to Southampton any more.

Hi Nancy ,  have you read the comments on the P&O board?  It's obviously not only Marella that has changed,  many of the P&O clients are very disgruntled at the changes.  I guess it's a sign of the times,  everything in life seems to be changing at the moment and mostly not for the better.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

Hi Nancy ,  have you read the comments on the P&O board?  It's obviously not only Marella that has changed,  many of the P&O clients are very disgruntled at the changes.  I guess it's a sign of the times,  everything in life seems to be changing at the moment and mostly not for the better.

Well that's not absolutely true.

Cruise lines are taking a hit because of Covid, both in terms of future strategy, profit and planning and having to adjust. I am just very grateful I can go on a few cruises a year without this awful, hassle and worry of Covid, restrictions  and cancellations.

P&O is less it than it was previously, Marella  is less it than it was previously, lets all hope it stabilises and things get back to normal.

I am just grateful I am fit enough and have enough in my piggy bank to do all these wonderful cruises.

4 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

In a poll on British accents, Scottish accents were at the top and Birmingham accents were at the very bottom, lol!

On the defensive today Nancy.🙄😂😂

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, GOQ said:

Well that's not absolutely true.

Cruise lines are taking a hit because of Covid, both in terms of future strategy, profit and planning and having to adjust. I am just very grateful I can go on a few cruises a year without this awful, hassle and worry of Covid, restrictions  and cancellations.

P&O is less it than it was previously, Marella  is less it than it was previously, lets all hope it stabilises and things get back to normal.

I am just grateful I am fit enough and have enough in my piggy bank to do all these wonderful cruises.

Kinda agree with you

Its not just Marella standards  that have dropped or cost increases.Flight prices,land based  holidays in fact its  everything whether it be in supermarkets,restaurants,takeaways,pubs,utilty bills,dealing with with businesses,building materials,the list is endless

Sadly its a sign of the times and something we,ll all have to deal with and accept as dont see things changing much in the future

I,ll keep holidaying and cruising as long as I,m able and my income/bank balance allows

We,re only here once,theres no practice swings

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brummijam said:

On the defensive today Nancy.🙄😂😂

Just stating the facts Brummijam. No need to be so touchy. It was my friends from Walsall who showed me the results of the poll. 

Quote  " And it seems the Scots also top the list  when it comes to trust too with 14% of people surveyed saying they find that accent most trustworthy. The Yorkshire accent is a close second at 13%"

I love a Geordie accent. Could listen to that all day long.

3 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Just stating the facts Brummijam. No need to be so touchy. It was my friends from Walsall who showed me the results of the poll. 

Quote  " And it seems the Scots also top the list  when it comes to trust too with 14% of people surveyed saying they find that accent most trustworthy. The Yorkshire accent is a close second at 13%"

I love a Geordie accent. Could listen to that all day long.

My post was in jest Nancy, Hence the laughing emoji thingies.😉

Whereas this comes across as Touchy.🤷🏻‍♂️

We are Scottish and drink very little. Terrible observation on your part but typical of some people from the south who think all Scots are drunks and are mean. You need to get out more. By the way you said they picked up free drinks. The drinks on Marella are not free. They are included in the price of the cruise and  paid for up front.

Have a lovely evening.😘😘

• Like 1

We have booked a canaries cruise on P&O which was a bargain in a balcony cabin but when you factor in the drinks package has increased to £45 per day we think we could have got the same price on Marella. We have booked on explorer for October and have to fly from Leeds Bradford because of the flight times. I don’t know why the Manchester flights are always 6am? It’s far too early for me to have to get up before 3am to catch a flight. O/h isn’t happy as the Leeds/Bradford flight doesn’t got till 3pm so he views it as missing a day on the ship. It also saves a day on the kennel fees though! 

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2023 at 1:28 PM, Jayneykul said:

We have booked a canaries cruise on P&O which was a bargain in a balcony cabin but when you factor in the drinks package has increased to £45 per day we think we could have got the same price on Marella. We have booked on explorer for October and have to fly from Leeds Bradford because of the flight times. I don’t know why the Manchester flights are always 6am? It’s far too early for me to have to get up before 3am to catch a flight. O/h isn’t happy as the Leeds/Bradford flight doesn’t got till 3pm so he views it as missing a day on the ship. It also saves a day on the kennel fees though! 

Would that drinks package be per person ?

1 hour ago, Sheera07 said:

As you know drinks are in the cost of the cruise, you only need to pay extra if you want the premium package, the price is for both , well worth it .

I think Jayneykul is referring to the £45 pp pd charged by P&O

15 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

I think Jayneykul is referring to the £45 pp pd charged by P&O

Yes I understand that , the drinks already included in the holiday cost are very good , but if you wanted more choice of cocktails and other spirits plus coffee the upgrade is well worth it, it’s about £280 for a 2week cruise.

12 minutes ago, Sheera07 said:

Yes I understand that , the drinks already included in the holiday cost are very good , but if you wanted more choice of cocktails and other spirits plus coffee the upgrade is well worth it, it’s about £280 for a 2week cruise.

Crossed wires methinks.

Marella do all inclusive as standard with a choice to upgrade to premium at a cost of usually £10 per person per day.

P&O is not all inclusive but you can pay as you go or buy a drinks package……… I was enquiring how much per person per day do P&O charge for said the drinks package?

Edited by Brummijam

Yes the drinks package is £45 pp per day on P&O and everyone in the cabin has to take it. I’ve booked 2 P&O now the first is with o/h in sept we will take the drinks package for that but the 2nd is for my mums 80th she doesn’t drink so pay as u go for that 1. That is an absolute bargain in a balcony would much prefer Marella but the price is more than double. Our last cruise on Marella was fabulous and I’m sure the 1 booked for oct on explorer will be 🤞

• 2 weeks later...

Post no 1 was asking the question and my personal opinion regarding my trip on Explorer

Post no 5 was a copy and paste from the review section on this board as stated in the opening lines of the post.😉

Whats the question?

5 hours ago, Brummijam said:

Post no 1 was asking the question and my personal opinion regarding my trip on Explorer

Post no 5 was a copy and paste from the review section on this board as stated in the opening lines of the post.😉

Whats the question?

just wanted to  confirm that the one you copied and pasted was not yours. I thought it sounded pretentious and I had some to say, but it was not your opinion so ...no worries 🙂

• Thanks 1