Ship transfer buses in Boston?

Qwltngcruiser

I’ve seen an article recently about transfer buses from the port to the are of the freedom trail in Boston that run around $20 pp.  I can’t find a date on the article, so I don’t know if that’s still a viable option, or will we need to Uber?  I don’t want to take the 45 min transfer with public transport each way as that will eat up time in port. 

• Like 1

Haven't been to Boston yet -but I've researched it heavily as we are spending 5 days pre-cruise. Google maps says its a 40 minute WALK to the Boston Commons visitor centre - 25 min by public transit.  I can't see a shuttle bus competing with the public transport on that time frame. Or just walk out and grab an uber. 

8 hours ago, lissie said:

Haven't been to Boston yet -but I've researched it heavily as we are spending 5 days pre-cruise. Google maps says its a 40 minute WALK to the Boston Commons visitor centre - 25 min by public transit.  I can't see a shuttle bus competing with the public transport on that time frame. Or just walk out and grab an uber. 

I was going by what my husband had looked up.  I imagine it was because of the time of day that he checked. Apple tells you the time it will take at that moment (unless you choose a timeframe). I checked just a second ago and it says the transit system will take 35 min. So, it’s not much faster than walking. I’d just rather spend the time (and energy) walking around the areas that I want to see. We will do an uber if it’s the best option. 

Last time we port stopped there our cruiseline offered a shuttle from port to near the Quincey Market...roundtrip.. Hoping they offer it again as we'll be there in early October.

Public transport: the Silver Line (a bus) leaves from Dockyard Ave and will take you to South Station. From there you can walk up Atlantic Ave to the North End or you can transfer to the Red Line (inbound). Get off at Park Street and you will be a Boston Common (note it’s common singular not commons plural). You can see The Embrace which is the new statute in honor of Dr and Mrs King.  This is also where the Freedom Trail begins. 
Uber: when you get off the ship you will be facing a large white building. Walk around the building to DryDock Ave. look for large signs with either 23 or 25. At these points DryDock Ave is two way so your driver can pick you up, make a U-turn, and avoid the chaos at the port. 
You can walk but I don’t find the walk in the seaport district very interesting except if you want to stop at the Harpoon Brewery. 
What ever you do enjoy Boston!  

Your cruiseline may offer a shuttle bus, but there isn't a public option like that.  It's a great walk on a nice day, or transit shouldn't take much more than 20 minutes. Taxi/uber could be 10 minutes or could be an Hour and Ten minutes, depending on traffic

14 hours ago, Traveling Library said:

You can walk but I don’t find the walk in the seaport district very interesting except if you want to stop at the Harpoon Brewery.

Would second this-- its a tedious walk through an area that is mostly newer development/construction (especially for someone who is there just a day) and lacking the charm of the historical city core.

An Uber/Lyft will be your fastest option here to get right to the middle of Boston's main sites.

Another tip is if you are planning on doing most of the Freedom Trail I would recommend taking a short Uber or walking one way to the Charlestown Navy Yard where the USS Constitution is. From there take the MBTA Ferry from Charlestown Navy Yard to Long Wharf downtown (or you could do that in reverse). This will save you time (vs backtracking your walk as the map will have you do) and you get a little harbor tour on the ferry. 

4 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Would second this-- its a tedious walk through an area that is mostly newer development/construction (especially for someone who is there just a day) and lacking the charm of the historical city core.

An Uber/Lyft will be your fastest option here to get right to the middle of Boston's main sites.

Another tip is if you are planning on doing most of the Freedom Trail I would recommend taking a short Uber or walking one way to the Charlestown Navy Yard where the USS Constitution is. From there take the MBTA Ferry from Charlestown Navy Yard to Long Wharf downtown (or you could do that in reverse). This will save you time (vs backtracking your walk as the map will have you do) and you get a little harbor tour on the ferry. 

Thanks!  I’ll look into that route!

14 hours ago, Traveling Library said:

Public transport: the Silver Line (a bus) leaves from Dockyard Ave and will take you to South Station. From there you can walk up Atlantic Ave to the North End or you can transfer to the Red Line (inbound). Get off at Park Street and you will be a Boston Common (note it’s common singular not commons plural). You can see The Embrace which is the new statute in honor of Dr and Mrs King.  This is also where the Freedom Trail begins. 
Uber: when you get off the ship you will be facing a large white building. Walk around the building to DryDock Ave. look for large signs with either 23 or 25. At these points DryDock Ave is two way so your driver can pick you up, make a U-turn, and avoid the chaos at the port. 
What ever you do enjoy Boston!  

Thanks for the tips!!