Coronation celebrations

Sue-B

Thank you! Got onto the ship at 11.45am (quickest embarkation ever!) and now enjoying second cocktail in the Golden Lion waiting for lunch. 

We did have a letter in our room offering us to stay on the ship for a further two nights starting at £99pp for an inside cabin heading to Hamburg. Flights not included though. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, aday10 said:

Thank you! Got onto the ship at 11.45am (quickest embarkation ever!) and now enjoying second cocktail in the Golden Lion waiting for lunch. 

We did have a letter in our room offering us to stay on the ship for a further two nights starting at £99pp for an inside cabin heading to Hamburg. Flights not included though. 

It obviously makes a great difference when they don’t have to disembark people, before getting the ship ready.

16 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It obviously makes a great difference when they don’t have to disembark people, before getting the ship ready.

Of course, I do believe it has been smooth for many people embarking today, which always starts the holiday off nicely. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, aday10 said:

Of course, I do believe it has been smooth for many people embarking today, which always starts the holiday off nicely. 

It certainly does. Do keep us informed about the rest of your jaunt, dreaded internet permitting. 😀

Boarded just before midday. Cards wouldn’t let us in to cabin so steward did. Unpacked first case then a lovely lunch in the Princess Grill. Food and service excellent. Wines ordered for tonight along with the a’la carte lamb! Checked in to muster station. Long queue at Pursers Desk (most to remove gratuities it seemed) but we got our cards sorted. Final case unpacked. Just read all bumph. My Cunard app hopeless. Won’t remember my login details (even though I’ve ticked for it to do so) and doesn’t want to open. Glad we won’t have to use it for dining and hopefully it’s not needed for shows? Sitting on balcony in warm sunshine. Cabin fine although the term ‘suite’ is a stretch. More like large balcony. Nice quality though. So far so good. Off for a drink soon. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Boarded just before midday. Cards wouldn’t let us in to cabin so steward did. Unpacked first case then a lovely lunch in the Princess Grill. Food and service excellent. Wines ordered for tonight along with the a’la carte lamb! Checked in to muster station. Long queue at Pursers Desk (most to remove gratuities it seemed) but we got our cards sorted. Final case unpacked. Just read all bumph. My Cunard app hopeless. Won’t remember my login details (even though I’ve ticked for it to do so) and doesn’t want to open. Glad we won’t have to use it for dining and hopefully it’s not needed for shows? Sitting on balcony in warm sunshine. Cabin fine although the term ‘suite’ is a stretch. More like large balcony. Nice quality though. So far so good. Off for a drink soon. 

Have a great voyage!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Starstruckharper said:

According to Marine Traffic,  QM2 has slipped her last moorings and is gliding down Southampton Water towards Liverpool  - Bon Voyage!

correct. We’ve just passed Calshot and are doing the S bend before Cowes! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Is the ship decorated in a festive way?

Two Union Jack flags in the cabin and a few things on screen around the ship. Not noticed much else yet but maybe it will crank up before the weekend. Street Party yet to be finalised, according to Concierge 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

My Cunard app hopeless. Won’t remember my login details (even though I’ve ticked for it to do so)

Ahh my friend, your first app adventure!  Hate to tell you this but it's identical to P&O's so you have that joy to come later this year.  I'm pleasantly surprised, it loaded and opened first time for me, went on to my homescreen and even let me book my dinner.  Queue system is also working well.  Biggest surprise is the wi-fi.  It's actually working in my room so I haven't got to sit on the stairs so far.

Strangely no entertainment showing in that section but guess it's not needed.  The Daily Programme and my onboard account are also showing in the app.  This is a first for me, an app that's actually loaded!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Ahh my friend, your first app adventure!  Hate to tell you this but it's identical to P&O's so you have that joy to come later this year.  I'm pleasantly surprised, it loaded and opened first time for me, went on to my homescreen and even let me book my dinner.  Queue system is also working well.  Biggest surprise is the wi-fi.  It's actually working in my room so I haven't got to sit on the stairs so far.

Strangely no entertainment showing in that section but guess it's not needed.  The Daily Programme and my onboard account are also showing in the app.  This is a first for me, an app that's actually loaded!

Is it actually necessary to cause oneself anguish by having anything to do with this app? Or is it possible simply to ignore it, as in the past?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Is it actually necessary to cause oneself anguish by having anything to do with this app? Or is it possible simply to ignore it, as in the past?

Quite OK to ignore it. I find it useful occasionally, so for example you turn up for one of the evening entertainment options, you're not impressed, a quick check on the app's version of the daily programme will give you an alternative idea. But you'd get the same thing from the printed programme if you had it to hand. On a recent trip I was concerned that a drink may have been processed twice, and by showing it online the staff quickly reversed the duplicate and that saved a trip to the purser's desk. Personally I find it useful and anguish free but it's not essential for anything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, exlondoner said:

The app offers little save the option for Britannia "freedom" diners to reserve their dining times.  Having queued for 20 minutes last night (with a reservation placed on my behalf "for my convenience") to even get to the podium to announce one's arrival for dinner I have now booked on the app for my required dining time in advance and hope last night will become a distant memory. Having been thrust into the brave new world of freedom dining on a Cunard ship for the first time I will do whatever it takes to bypass the ensuing mayhem of yesterday evening.  The queues at the 3rd floor doors to Britannia restaurant were something I did not expect to find on a Cunard ship, I was quite taken aback.  One gentleman immediately behind me was taken poorly in the queue as he waited and had to be taken and found a chair.  My 8.30pm reservation led to being seated at 8.55pm and my meal ending at 10.40pm and there were still quite a few still eating when I left and retired for the evening.

Incidentally I was not even asked if I'd like to see the wine menu or given the opportunity to order a drink. The poor staff were being somewhat overwhelmed so I did not raise the issue and stuck to drinking my iced water.  

Hopefully tonight will be better, I've booked via the app for 6.30pm in the hope I might actually be able to get in to the restaurant in a more timely manner. 

I'm also on board. I can get into the app but can't get onto the internet.

We are close enough to land now for me to use my own data.

Regarding Britasnia dining there was a very large queue outside on Tuesday afternoon which stretched as far as Sir Samuel's and took at least an hour to go down. I assume it was people changing dining times

• Like 1

Have to say the Britannia is definitely struggling atm (at least I have noticed). We had opted for open dining as I have never experienced it and have to say it is useless. Have booked a table for 8pm each night and found out today that means nothing. 

queued outside deck 3 entrance for 30 minutes today before being seated. Table we were given was not fully set up, took 15 minutes to be given our glasses of water, 30 minutes before offered any drinks from the sommelier. It was the black and white ball and we were offered a glass of sparkling which was welcomed though. Even breakfast was chaotic which I have not found before! Apparently people queuing for up to an hour for lunch today! We luckily opted for carinthia lounge for some light options and then afternoon tea (which spilled into the restaurant, had not seen this before!). Also bread rolls seem different as well. 

The Ship seems exceptionally warm and hour stateroom has not cooled down since we have been here yesterday. 

wifi is great everywhere apart from the stateroom, which is actually fine! 

We are having a great time but things have changed! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, aday10 said:

Have to say the Britannia is definitely struggling atm (at least I have noticed). We had opted for open dining as I have never experienced it and have to say it is useless. Have booked a table for 8pm each night and found out today that means nothing. 

queued outside deck 3 entrance for 30 minutes today before being seated. Table we were given was not fully set up, took 15 minutes to be given our glasses of water, 30 minutes before offered any drinks from the sommelier. It was the black and white ball and we were offered a glass of sparkling which was welcomed though. Even breakfast was chaotic which I have not found before! Apparently people queuing for up to an hour for lunch today! We luckily opted for carinthia lounge for some light options and then afternoon tea (which spilled into the restaurant, had not seen this before!). Also bread rolls seem different as well. 

The Ship seems exceptionally warm and hour stateroom has not cooled down since we have been here yesterday. 

wifi is great everywhere apart from the stateroom, which is actually fine! 

We are having a great time but things have changed! 

How is the dining for those doing early or late sittings?

Update on the dining issue for me.  I booked 6.30pm and 6.15pm on the app.for the whole voyage after the 8.30pm debacle. I have had no further problems and am checked in and seated within a couple of minutes.  I share tables but have seen no further queues at my dining time. Service has been good - sommelier appeared rapidly to take drink orders the past two evenings - and have had no further problems with dinner as a result.

However on leaving the restaurant around 7.45pm I have noticed a large queue in place at the entrance and lengthening rapidly.

Breakfast I dine at 8.00am as the restaurant opens so I've experienced no problems there.  However one of my table companions yesterday had waited 1 1/2 hours before being seated on Wednesday morning- I'm unaware at what time though.

I was refused access to Queens Room for tea on Wednesday at 3.25pm, ie five minutes before service.  Apparently every seat was full.leading to Britannia being opened, they were not allowing any waiting.  The staff member who was someone I know well informed me people had commenced queuing at around 2.40pm and the room was full almost immediately.  I did not take tea in the Britannia but did notice on walking through that there were large numbers seated.

There seem to be a very large number of first time Cunard passengers on board and a great number I have spoken to are either newcomers or on maybe their second voyage.  As a result they are keen to enjoy all the experiences they cannot enjoy on other cruise lines which with the short voyage length appear to be impacting events accordingly.  Whilst it is excellent news newcomers are interested in enjoying the Cunard experience the dining difficulties do appear to be colouring their view somewhat but hopefully not to the point they will.not wish to sail Cunard again.

None that I've met or spoken to have anything other than compliments about all other aspects of the ship and their experience onboard which is good news.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's great to get these updates, for those of us who would love to be onboard but were unable to do so. So please keep 'em coming!

I've done Open Dining on QE and QV, not yet QM2. My experience is that you can more-or-less predict the peak times, and as a very general rule 19:00 hrs is the quiet spot. Clearly that doesn't exactly dove-tail into the evening entertainment, but that is also the reason for the quietness! I think that works well since you can usually find something interesting on at 21:00 hrs and be well placed for any 22:00 hrs big event.

Queens Room being overbooked for afternoon tea is not unusual on short cruises and early sea days, so the overflow to Britannia is pretty nornal. There isn't enough space really.

If the passengers are kept happy then the details will look after themselves, I suspect.

Today was the street party and Country Fayre.  Great fun, lots of queues not as well organised as I had expected and saw a few snappy tempers about queues for the games at the date. I missed the food for the tea party from the street party as the queue was massive.  Lovely opera performance calmed things down.  A couple of pictures if they will.upload.

20230505_153641.jpg

20230505_153145.jpg

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3