South America & Chilean Fjords - Excursion list?

Geoffa30

Hi All. We are sailing on this itinerary in January 2024, Santiago to Buenos Aires. I’ve done some searching on CC looking for a list of the excursions with prices. Is anyone able to help with this please or know whether it’s something Viking would provide if asked? Thanks In advance for any help.

I have this from our January 2020 cruise.  Prices most likely have not changed much. Its not digital but is the same as the excursions offered on the itinerary for the promotion.  If you look there and tell me what is your interest, i can look up the cost.

3 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

Hi All. We are sailing on this itinerary in January 2024, Santiago to Buenos Aires. I’ve done some searching on CC looking for a list of the excursions with prices. Is anyone able to help with this please or know whether it’s something Viking would provide if asked? Thanks In advance for any help.

Ask in the chat function if they can send you a pdf—even if it’s not for your specific cruise. They should be able to at least send you what was offered this year.

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I have this from our January 2020 cruise.  Prices most likely have not changed much. Its not digital but is the same as the excursions offered on the itinerary for the promotion.  If you look there and tell me what is your interest, i can look up the cost.

Thanks for responding. Should there have been a link or attachment?

12 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Ask in the chat function if they can send you a pdf—even if it’s not for your specific cruise. They should be able to at least send you what was offered this year.

Thanks. Will give that a go.

You should be able to find excursions in MVJ (My Viking Journey). You should be able to review the excursions that may be offered.

We did this cruise in Feb 2023. One of the highlights was the pre-tour going to Iguazu  Falls and our Falklands Island Bluff Cove Penguin trip. Bluff Cove has King and Gentoo Penguins.We lucked out with mild breezes, calm seas, mid 50's temp and BLUE SKY.

Out flight from Santiago was 11:10 pm.  Viking was able to set up a Santiago bus tour with stop at a Artist shop village.  Then we went to the Marriott where Viking had a ballroom reserved with snacks, water & coffee.  Also a place to storage carryon luggage.  Checked luggage went directly from the ship to the airport.  We did not receive info on the transfer/tour until day 3 on the cruise. I could not get any info on the transfer/tour from  Viking before the cruise.

Enjoy to cruise

• Like 1

We have been blessed to do this cruise twice. Both times, while in Ushuaia,  we used this company. Both times I will say were Lifetime moments. Absolutely an outstanding tour. You get on to a private island. Penguins all around you. Sort of Wild Kingdom moment. Second time we went with friends. One was not as mobile yet made the journey. If they still have the tour, I would highly recommend them. 

https://piratour.net

We have zero interest with them. They are just off the dock, along with many others. They still have a presence so I expect they are still there. If you can, do it

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 9:34 AM, TayanaLorna said:

What was the price for day trip to Iguazu Falls?  Thanks...

1 minute ago, Ray4Fun said:

It is a decent flight up and back. Long day.

Right, we can see that from description.  The actual Viking Excursion Price is what asking about..but thanks for responding.

1 hour ago, milling73 said:

Right, we can see that from description.  The actual Viking Excursion Price is what asking about..but thanks for responding.

Looks like the sold out ones are $3,600 USD.

Highly recommend it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was on this cruise this past Christmas and New Years.  We had a wonderful time.  A few pointers.  First, they will announce in the Daily when to see the glaciers.  For me, it was around 5:30am.  By all means, GO.  There were only about 12 of us on the Explorer Lounge, so plenty of room to maneuver around and take photos.  It was glorious, among the best scenery I’ve ever scene.

Second, about the extension to Iguazu Falls.  I’ve been to Iguazu twice.  The extension offered by Viking (unless it has changed) visits the Argentinian side of the falls ONLY.  While good, the best view are from the Brazilian side (looking at Argentina).  I took a pass on the extension for that reason. If you think you can go to both sides on a separate trip, then I would skip the extension.  If you think this might be your sole opportunity to visit that side of the world, then consider it.  

Finally, there is an included excursion (I forget which city) that goes to the country side to a Welsh community and have tea.  We didn’t do this excursion, but others who did said it was dreadful.  You basically sit on a bus for about hour and half to go to a hotel, have tea, and get back on the bus.  You can have tea in the WIntergarden.  So, based upon what Ive heard, I would skip that excursion, even if included.

Oh, one last note:  If you absolutely must see penguins, then book several of the available options.  Dont rely on seeing penguins in the Falklands, because it is hit./miss whether you will actually dock and use tenders.  All because of the weather.  The weather gods were with us and we had a wonderful time.  Also, there is a small museum on the Falkland’s that is wonderful. (Free admission for Viking guests).  It talks about the Falklands War, and also South Pole Exploration.  One of the best small city museums I’ve ever gone to.

Happy to answer other questions about this cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Romocruiser said:

I was on this cruise this past Christmas and New Years.  We had a wonderful time.  A few pointers.  First, they will announce in the Daily when to see the glaciers.  For me, it was around 5:30am.  By all means, GO.  There were only about 12 of us on the Explorer Lounge, so plenty of room to maneuver around and take photos.  It was glorious, among the best scenery I’ve ever scene.

Second, about the extension to Iguazu Falls.  I’ve been to Iguazu twice.  The extension offered by Viking (unless it has changed) visits the Argentinian side of the falls ONLY.  While good, the best view are from the Brazilian side (looking at Argentina).  I took a pass on the extension for that reason. If you think you can go to both sides on a separate trip, then I would skip the extension.  If you think this might be your sole opportunity to visit that side of the world, then consider it.  

Finally, there is an included excursion (I forget which city) that goes to the country side to a Welsh community and have tea.  We didn’t do this excursion, but others who did said it was dreadful.  You basically sit on a bus for about hour and half to go to a hotel, have tea, and get back on the bus.  You can have tea in the WIntergarden.  So, based upon what Ive heard, I would skip that excursion, even if included.

Oh, one last note:  If you absolutely must see penguins, then book several of the available options.  Dont rely on seeing penguins in the Falklands, because it is hit./miss whether you will actually dock and use tenders.  All because of the weather.  The weather gods were with us and we had a wonderful time.  Also, there is a small museum on the Falkland’s that is wonderful. (Free admission for Viking guests).  It talks about the Falklands War, and also South Pole Exploration.  One of the best small city museums I’ve ever gone to.

Happy to answer other questions about this cruise.  

We were on the same cruise and loved it. Agree with what you heard. The Welsh tea excursion was about 5 hours of our life lost. Really boring day. And we are generally very happy travelers with most anything. 

The winery in Uruguay was great btw!

Thanks @Romocruiser & @wine-wine-wine for the info.

I just checked the samples of Puerto Madryn excursions listed for this cruise on VO's website and saw that there is an alternative to the Welsh tea tour, which is also flagged as being included - See below. I don't know if this is a mistake or if they are considering changing the included excursion or offering both, we shall see.......

I also noticed that the Valparaíso included tour mentions a visit to the Fonck Museum which I don't recall seeing before, maybe I just overlooked it.

We are doing this cruise then continuing across to Europe, so would be interested to know if Viking has previously offered an additional excursion for back-to-back passengers on changeover day?

Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 14.47.34.png

23 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

Thanks @Romocruiser & @wine-wine-wine for the info.

I just checked the samples of Puerto Madryn excursions listed for this cruise on VO's website and saw that there is an alternative to the Welsh tea tour, which is also flagged as being included - See below. I don't know if this is a mistake or if they are considering changing the included excursion or offering both, we shall see.......

I also noticed that the Valparaíso included tour mentions a visit to the Fonck Museum which I don't recall seeing before, maybe I just overlooked it.

We are doing this cruise then continuing across to Europe, so would be interested to know if Viking has previously offered an additional excursion for back-to-back passengers on changeover day?

Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 14.47.34.png

Interesting I don’t remember this alternative  - looks good! Although living near San Francisco sea lions aren’t that much of a draw for us. 🤷‍♂️

As I understand it excursions for B2B pax are only announced onboard. Something to definitely ask about. Sadly we haven’t had this to deal with - yet. Just wait until retirement!

We did a wonderful excursion from Ushuaia that included a 4x4 ride along a river bed, forest hike, and a great  lunch wth local wine that we ate outside and saw dog sled dogs!

We started our cruise in Santiago the end of February and many of the penguins were gone as were most the sea lions.  Best penguins were on Magdelena Island. Penguins were molting.  We missed the Falklands because the islands were closed during Covid.  The food on the long excursions was terrible but probably because of covid.  A brief glimpse at the excursions now offered appears to indicate that excursions have improved!

The highlight of the trip was our incredible naturalist who could be found with binoculars in the Explorer Lounge much of the time and her husband was equally as talented at finding birds, whales, dolphins as we cruised.

We would do this cruise again...it is great to combine to combine with a transatlantic crossing!

11 minutes ago, deec said:

We would do this cruise again...it is great to combine to combine with a transatlantic crossing!

Totally agreed (we love sea days). Another reason it would work well: the most difficult part of the trip for us was the air travel from SFO to Santiago and back from Buenos Aires. Made the mistake of flying through Mexico City. Never again. 3 hour plus passport control lines. 😬