Alaska Vancouver departure

larrybritt

I need help as we are taking our first Alaska cruise leaving July 4th and returning July 14th. My question is what do you guys do for traveling from the east coast for flying in and out. It appears the times are tough. We are good and actually Wanting to fly in early maybe a couple days so arrival flights not a big concern. But coming home, looks like earliest we can get off ship would be 7:30am and lookS like no flights leave until 10:30pm for overnight flights. What do you do between getting off ship and then? I think looks like we need to get a hotel and leave Next morning? But more experienced travelers let me know thoughts. This is our first trip to west coast. Thanks everyone.

I take it you are on the Crown?  We leave on the 14th when you return lol.  We are from NJ and I managed to find a 2pm return flight through Air Canada.  We plan on taking our time getting off the ship and then will just head to the airport.  For later flights there is a place that will hold your luggage for the day at the port so that you may spend some time exploring Vancouver.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, larrybritt said:

I need help as we are taking our first Alaska cruise leaving July 4th and returning July 14th. My question is what do you guys do for traveling from the east coast for flying in and out. It appears the times are tough. We are good and actually Wanting to fly in early maybe a couple days so arrival flights not a big concern. But coming home, looks like earliest we can get off ship would be 7:30am and lookS like no flights leave until 10:30pm for overnight flights. What do you do between getting off ship and then? I think looks like we need to get a hotel and leave Next morning? But more experienced travelers let me know thoughts. This is our first trip to west coast. Thanks everyone.

Use the day luggage hold at Canada Place and explore Vancouver for the day.

2 hours ago, larrybritt said:

But coming home, looks like earliest we can get off ship would be 7:30am and lookS like no flights leave until 10:30pm for overnight flights. What do you do between getting off ship and then? I think looks like we need to get a hotel and leave Next morning?

I ran into the same problem trying to find flights out for the Crown Sailing returning June 2. Ended up finding a non-stop the next day for a crazy low amount of miles (departing 11 am). I just booked a hotel for the night that has luggage storage (I suspect most Vancouver hotels do). We will head to the hotel after disembarking, drop the luggage off for storage assuming the room will not be available, and go sightsee and have lunch til the room is ready.

• Like 1

I am risking an 11:15 am flight out of Vancouver.  It looks like by train the airport is about 25 ish minutes similar for a car.  I am a live on the edge of the seat type of person when it comes to travel.  I have done similar timed flights from more difficult ports before think Civitavecchia to the Rome airport for example, the only time I ever pre-arranged transport.  I think Vancouver looks easy enough to get out of. 

• Like 2

When we fly out of Vancouver we usually leave the next day on an early flight --- flight times are better, cost is cheaper and takes the stress out of rushing to the airport/or waiting at the airport for long periods of time.  We get off the ship, check our luggage at the hotel (if no room is available yet) and then go sight seeing --- usually Stanley Park or walk along the beach front.  Very relaxing day!

• Like 1

This was going to be my recommendation:

"We took the bus to Seattle and spent one night at an airport hotel before flying out the next morning. We saved so much on airfare that the bus and hotel were basically free."

Before COVID Princess could provide a bus for US citizens that sped you through the border in a 'locked' bus, so that you didnt have to deal with Canadian customs. I dont know if it has returned or not, but I would check.  Flying out of SEA is usually a lot cheaper and has more options for airlines. 

We took the bus transfer from Vancouver to Seattle during the COVID testing times.  Our bus was not "locked" and we had to get off the bus to go through processing.  Our driver said that we were fortunate because there could have been some other buses ahead of us that had priority and we would have had a longer wait.  Be prepared, the ride is subject to traffic.  We encountered a traffic accident and construction on the road to Seattle which delayed the trip somewhat.  For us, the option wasn't a good fit.  Perhaps it will work better in your favor.

Personally I avoid the late red-eyes from YVR to the US, because the big advantage we have here (prescreening) is not available for them as CBP stop work at 8:30pm here. Being pre-screened means your connecting flights are Domestic, so transfers are simple - a flight at 10 or 11pm can't be pre-screened so you'll need to do customs & immigration at your first US airport. The last thing I want after an overnight flight is having to face a (usually without-enough-staff!) immigration queue on arrival in the wee small hours!

@Nelsj099 Flights as early as even 10am are doable with a few caveats -

• First, you REALLY should be self-disembarking so you're among the first folks off. If you're not physically capable of moving all your own bags with one hand free (port staff will prevent you using the escalators unless you have a hand free to hold the rail; the alternative elevator queue can be a nightmare!) you're going to have trouble using SkyTrain so might want to reconsider the flight...
  • Secondly, the biggest factor which is entirely outside your control is how many other pax are also getting off that day - one ship, yours? No problem! Hop in a cab, take SkyTrain, either way you'll be at YVR within about an hour of walking off the ship. Four ships, three of whom get cleared to start letting pax off before yours? The wait for a cab could be over an hour even if you are the first person off your ship, so SkyTrain becomes a necessity for your planning!
  • Thirdly, what's the routing? If it's not direct, then a Domestic Canadian first leg is safer - US pre-screening gets done in the last Canadian airport, right before physically flying over the border, so you need a longer transfer time downstream but save time at YVR as there's one less step to do here.
  • Fourth, within your control but too late now if you haven't already started the ball rolling - Trusted Traveler cards! NEXUS and Global entry both work for leaving Canada - access to both a shorter Security queue and also dedicated kiosks not shared with Joe Q Public. There is little in life more enjoyable than the first time you get to walk past a ludicrous queue for immigration to join the teeny-tiny queue for TT folks! NB: TSA Pre is worthless, no TSA in Canada, come renewal you should definitely upgrade to NEXUS (if you live close to, or travel through frequently, Canada; it's both better and cheaper than Global Entry but does need an interview with CBSA on top of GEs requirements)

@larrybritt since you didn't indicate that you must be home right after the cruise ends, I'd also advise you to stay overnight post-cruise - in terms of $ budget, take one less pre-cruise night and it should be a wash for the hotels. As you'll see if you check the schedules, eastbound flights tend to have two major 'waves' here - the first is mostly too early for a same-day-disembark-and-fly-home cruiser encompassing ~6am-10am, and the second after dinner. Bigger markets also justify middle-of-the-day nonstops to major eastern cities, but those always* cost a lot more because they're the most convenient (no overnight on the plane, no early wakeup to get to the airport).

Overnighting after the cruise doesn't just give you access to more flights, it also reduces the time you need to spend at YVR in the queues for check-in, bag drop, security, and pre-screening - any flight that is too early for cruisers means literally thousands of people NOT being at the airport. YVRs busiest days are always when there are multiple ships in port - most summer weekend days mean 5,000+ cruisers flying out, and the first cruise transfers start hitting YVR about 9:30am. It's those busloads all arriving at once that really clog the queues - they just get busier and busier until the buses finally stop rolling in over lunchtime. Even arriving 3 hours in advance is tight if you're part of that horde!

The only issue with an early morning next day flight is getting here TOO early - CBP hours begin at 4:30am, but they always do a staff briefing that tales 10-15mins before actually letting any pax in. So folks with a flight at 6, 7, even 8am who are not familiar with YVR show up far too early and join a queue for CBP that does not even start moving until ~4:45am! Roll in on the first SkyTrain of the morning at 5:15am and you sail through all the other queues in no time, and also find that CBP have gotten the too-early folks processed!

*of course, there is never an absolute with airline pricing! But in cruise season with demand high, it's about as close to a certainty as it gets that a 2pm eastbound flight will cost more than a 7am!

Edited by martincath
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

We are flying to Chicago and really 11:18pm were our only options.

Please note, large ships must observe the tide when going into Canada Place. And, you must clear the US Customs at the Vancouver Airport.

• Like 1

@martincath I have lived internationally for 10 years.  I do not have Global Entry because I find it not to be worth the amount of times I would be able to use it in a year, this year though I am going to the US 3 times, but it is still difficult to schedule an interview.  I haven't traveled at all for 3 years China during Covid= no movement.  I am not worried about getting my bags off at most I will have a travelers backpack and a suitcase.  I may pre arrange a car to come pick me up, it looks like it will be fine. I live the customs life, I will cross into Hong Kong to fly to back into Shanghai on Friday, then fly internationally back to Hong Kong and go through customs and take a taxi back to the China border on Monday. My Friday flight is at 6:30 and I work until 3.  That airport is a bit away because I have to take a taxi.  I know US customs is rough, but it will all work out or it won't. I am a 2 hour is too early to get to the airport type, I get bored.  Is the risk worth the reward? Maybe I am going from this cruise to Disneyland in California. 

On 4/24/2023 at 12:08 AM, Nelsj099 said:

I am risking an 11:15 am flight out of Vancouver.  It looks like by train the airport is about 25 ish minutes similar for a car.  I am a live on the edge of the seat type of person when it comes to travel.  I have done similar timed flights from more difficult ports before think Civitavecchia to the Rome airport for example, the only time I ever pre-arranged transport.  I think Vancouver looks easy enough to get out of. 

That might be tight for Vancouver. You'll have clear customs when you disembark in Vancouver . Then you'll need to check in and clear US Customs. If the ship arrives at 7AM the first passengers will start disembarking around 730AM. You need to count on 3 hours to check in and clear customs.

18 hours ago, Kamloops50 said:

That might be tight for Vancouver. You'll have clear customs when you disembark in Vancouver . Then you'll need to check in and clear US Customs. If the ship arrives at 7AM the first passengers will start disembarking around 730AM. You need to count on 3 hours to check in and clear customs.

I too have a 11:30 am flight on the day of disembarkation; plan to do self-disembark, SkyTrain to airport. Flight is domestic to Edmonton. According to Port of Vancouver website, you are clearing Canadian Customs when you disembark. image.png.2f037773ae34edd37cac9ae1ee7c7a37.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raja2005 said:

I too have a 11:30 am flight on the day of disembarkation; plan to do self-disembark, SkyTrain to airport. Flight is domestic to Edmonton. According to Port of Vancouver website, you are clearing Canadian Customs when you disembark. image.png.2f037773ae34edd37cac9ae1ee7c7a37.png

We fly domestic from cruises regularly. Still find flights before 1PM to be rushed. Not all cruises have to clear Canadian Customs in Vancouver. If the cruise stops in Victoria , Prince Rupert or Naniamo , no customs in Vancouver.

Related question. 

We will be on Grand Princess arriving Vancouver on July 1st.  Flights are 6:00 AM on July 2nd.

Could use some ideas for sightseeing, food, and hotel rooms for a group of 5 (with luggage) ranging from 21-80 years old.   Preferably drop off the luggage after disembarkation at a hotel.

With 6 AM flight, how early should we get there to check bags, go through customs, and get to our gate with plenty of time?

49 minutes ago, VA4family said:

arriving Vancouver on July 1st

Traffic advisory... July 1st is a national holiday and there is a massive celebration that occurs around the cruise terminal.  It's best to try and leave the cruise terminal area as early as possible as they put up road closures in the morning.

With regards to hotels, it depends on your budget and there's lots downtown.

Not sure at this time, but if you get a West facing room at the Pan Pacific above the cruise terminal, you might get prime viewing of the fireworks at 10pm.

Wow, good to know its a holiday. But we will be arriving at the Airport about 6:30pm. Would you say that taking the SkyTrain to Pan Pacific, where we are staying will be much better than a cab. And what should we expect as far as the Sky Train and traffic on 7/1 at that time. Once we are there no cares as we will be tired and ok to stay in room for that night.

3 hours ago, larrybritt said:

Wow, good to know its a holiday. But we will be arriving at the Airport about 6:30pm. Would you say that taking the SkyTrain to Pan Pacific, where we are staying will be much better than a cab. And what should we expect as far as the Sky Train and traffic on 7/1 at that time. Once we are there no cares as we will be tired and ok to stay in room for that night.

SkyTrain or cab will both have minor issues - streets have historically been blocked off for events on the day, continuing to at night IF the fireworks return (they did not run last year despite Covid restrictions having been lifted to allow crowds to gather for the other stuff like bands). So a cab will have very limited access to the hotel - only from the Burrard Street side rather than also from the next block over. But since cabs from YVR are fixed rate, that does not impact your wallet!

SkyTrain you'll be walking with bags on perhaps unusually crowded sidewalks - I say perhaps, because it really depends entirely on the timeline for the day! Flight on time, you'll be downtown 7-8pm, still daylight, firework crowds will be building BUT not on the sidewalks without a view...  Canada Place itself along the sides, especially on the tip of the pier, will be hoaching with bodies - and much of the Seawall all the way west toward the park likewise - but the folks staking out their viewing areas won't be in your way walking from Waterfront, just the ones also arriving on the train with you or heading back home if they are not staying downtown for dinner and fireworks. You might be hardly inconvenienced at all, or you might have a bit of a crowed to trundle bags through for 3 blocks, but again it's more that the walk may take a bit longer due to extra bodies that not being able to get to the hotel.

On 4/23/2023 at 5:34 PM, larrybritt said:

We are in Myrtle beach so I think being a smaller market may be a little tougher to get back. But yep we are in the crown and so Excited as we have never been even to west coast let alone Alaska.

Following.  Please advise what you end up doing.  We are also doing Alaska but in 2024 and we also live in Myrtle.  I was thinking about a day room after the cruise and then flying a red eye to the east coast.  OR staying overnight for an early AM flight the next day.  I have also looked at flights from Charlotte.  And flights into Seattle then the train to Vancouver.  So another pair of eyes would be helpful information!!!  But I can't see actual flight information for June 2024 until this July.  Let me know what you decide please.  Thanks

5 hours ago, VA4family said:

Related question. 

We will be on Grand Princess arriving Vancouver on July 1st.  Flights are 6:00 AM on July 2nd.

Could use some ideas for sightseeing, food, and hotel rooms for a group of 5 (with luggage) ranging from 21-80 years old.   Preferably drop off the luggage after disembarkation at a hotel.

With 6 AM flight, how early should we get there to check bags, go through customs, and get to our gate with plenty of time?

I'd say that if your flight is US-bound, show up no earlier than 4:30am - this gives you time to check in at the airport, drop bags, and head through Security without having to wait too much before Pre-screening opens (officially CBP start work at 4:30am, but their briefing always eats up 10-15mins before pax start being processed). You will most likely still find a slow moving glut of folks who showed up 3 hours early for flights at 6 or 7am unaware of this problem, but they'll at least be moving when you get to that stage. All the staff are aware of the CBP timing issue, so all those 6am flights expect to see panicked passengers running desperately for the gate - the one downside of a flight that early is they very often end up delayed by 15-30mins precisely because of this!

If we are flying with carry-ons only, a 6am flight and arriving on the first SkyTrain at 5:11am is perfect - that first big crowd of folks clogging up CBP have worked their way through, so we basically only stop walking when we need to organize our stuff for the X-ray machines and we can usually go straight to boarding the plane when we hit the gate... First time we did this, even with NEXUS to get into the short queues, we were a little nervous - but it was smooth as silk so now it's what we actually try to book every time if we can!

If you have checked bags though, you MUST get them into the system at least a full hour before the flight - which means you'll almost certainly see at least a few folks queuing to get into the prescreening area even if you shave the margins as tight as possible and drop your bags just before 5am. If you have Global Entry BTW, even one person in your party can get you all into the short Security line - and there are dedicated prescreening kiosks for GE that you can use when leaving Canada.

As to hotel - you should expect horrific rates across the board, and probably no availability in any decent not-super-swanky hotel already, as between the national holiday and the typical cruise season numbers it's possibly the busiest night of the year. If the YWCA has any 5-person rooms left, book one right now - you absolutely will not find a better deal anywhere for 5 folks. But since they're probably sold out long ago, you realistically need to look at the 'condo hotels' with multiple bedrooms like Times Square Suites or Rosedale on Robson - 4 of you should get a real bed, provided it's 2 couples or singles who don't mind sharing a bed, with a sofabed for the 5th almost certainly as I don't think they have any 3-bedroom suites. The Sylvia Hotel in English Bay also has one family 5-bed suite, not listed on their website so you'll have to call.

What to do? Join in with the celebrations! This page should update within the next month giving details of what's going on at Canada Place, usually the heart of the party zone. Dining as far away from Coal Harbour as possible will make resos easier to find, and if you want to avoid the crowds then look at visiting places well outside the core (and also West/North Van, who have the opposite side of the harbour for firework viewing so their waterfronts start filling up with people before noon too). Chinatown shouldn't be any worse than normal, Queen Elizabeth Park and UBC campus sites are far enough away there's not going to be extra crowding, or even out of town entirely like Steveston in Richmond, a quaint little fishing village area where you could go whalewatching form. If you can only find airport hotels by now, Steveston is going to be much easier to get to as you're already going to be staying halfway there!

Edited by martincath
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1