Lunch

doones2

Am I missing the purpose of these boards???? Isn't it to ask people for advice or suggestions?

To OP, I've only been to Taormina and don't think I had lunch anywhere great - but it was a great place to visit.  Not sure if you watched Season 2 of The White Lotus but it was filmed / set there.  Good luck with finding a great meal!  Hopefully someone else on this site has some recos for you.

On 4/23/2023 at 11:15 PM, doones2 said:

What are the best places to have lunch in Genoa, Naples and Taormina.  We want authentic Italian.

in Genoa close to the old port/cruise terminal and  close to the aquarium  i would suggest "eataly" another place could be "Rosmarino"  the addres is salita del fondaco  ( one the narrow street of the old town) almost on the corner with  the main square of genoa ( Piazza de Ferrari) a more upscale restaurant  is "zeffirino"  in the main street of genoa  (Via XX settermbre)

• Like 1

Naples, the home of pizza is where you would find the best pizza, reputedly the best to be found anywhere, and although I cannot vouch for that,  I do think that most folks would opt to try pizza there   it is to be found everywhere so no matter where you are in the city there should be some close by, some of it in historic buildings, and i think, more than one claiming to have invented pizza..

You could try googling something like "best pizza in Naples".

Edited by edinburgher

Am I missing the purpose of these boards???? Isn't it to ask people for advice or suggestions?

Well, yes, but only up to a point.  The OP posted near identical threads for every port to be visited, without giving any clue as to tastes, budget or anything else which might encourage others to offer guidance.  Nor did he/she indicate that they had already looked for anything matching their criteria.

This is the one for Marseille, a city which must have many many   hundreds of dining options scattered throughout this huge cirty..

Best places for lunch in Marseille 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Well, yes, but only up to a point.  The OP posted near identical threads for every port to be visited, without giving any clue as to tastes, budget or anything else which might encourage others to offer guidance.  Nor did he/she indicate that they had already looked for anything matching their criteria.

This is the one for Marseille, a city which must have many many   hundreds of dining options scattered throughout this huge cirty..

Best places for lunch in Marseille 

I just get frustrated that some people are so 'uppity' on this forum.  Does the question lack a ton of detail and is the answer subjective - sure, but if someone thinks the question is to hard to answer then they should just scroll on by....

People can give guidance and answer the question as asked, if I had been to those places I'd say what I thought the best place was in my opinion and the OP can look for themselves and decide it's maybe too much of a hole in the wall for them or too $$$.  Maybe they don't know exactly what they want and are seeking different ideas.

Happy and safe travels to everyone!

3 hours ago, Piper77 said:

I just get frustrated that some people are so 'uppity' on this forum. 

Since when did offering a legitimate suggestion become "Uppity" - WOW!

Edited by Senga
  • Like 1

Naples is the home of pizza. It's also a rather big place and unless lunch is the only thing on your agenda, you may not be near a place that's recommended.

There is, however, an association that verifies whether a particular pizzeria meets the requirements to be considered makers of the "real thing" -- e.g., using the traditional ingredients and techniques.  If you look for a pizzeria that displays this designation (shown below), you won't go wrong. "Vera pizza" means "true pizza").

AVPN

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, salabc said:

in Genoa close to the old port/cruise terminal and  close to the aquarium  i would suggest "eataly" another place could be "Rosmarino"  the addres is salita del fondaco  ( one the narrow street of the old town) almost on the corner with  the main square of genoa ( Piazza de Ferrari) a more upscale restaurant  is "zeffirino"  in the main street of genoa  (Via XX settermbre)

Thank you to everyone who gave me constructive suggestions. I now have  some idea where we will possibly eat.   I originally did not elaborate on what kind of restaurant we were looking for, because we had no restrictions only that it needed to be good Italian food.  I have also seen other sarcastic and rude remarks from this site.  Not to me but to others.  If I see what I consider to be a silly question , I just move on.  Thank you again

Glad to see that you’ve received some suggestions to your inquiry.  We were in Taormina a few years ago and ate in several places, but I was unable to remember an exact name to give you.  All of the restaurants that we went to were quite good by our standards.  (I’m of Italian heritage and am pretty discerning about food.)  You should have a very good experience.  If I were to return to Taormina I’d love to try the restaurant that Lew recommended.

I’m sorry that there were some people who were dismissive of your inquiry.  The majority of folks on this board are respectful and helpful.