What happens if your roommate cancels?

Everydaymatters

I booked my cruise as a solo because I had bad experiences in the past with people saying they wanted me to tell them when I was taking my next trip so they could go. Then when the time came they would have a reason not to go. Sometimes it worked out, but not always, where I had a friend or relative join me. Now I'm thinking about asking a friend to join me but am wondering what happens if we get it all set up and then she cancels. Does the price revert to what it was when I originally booked? Or am I stuck at the price for two of us. Also, how would that work with the cruise insurance? Would they refund her money?

There are several different things that can happen if a roommmate cancels. If she cancels for a covered reason under trip insurance (generally medical-related for herself or close family members), and you both have insurance, the insurance covers any additional supplement you have to pay.

If she cancels outside penalty, which usually begins around the final payment date, then you can always cancel as well without penalty.

If she cancels because she changes her mind, and you're within penalty, your fare will revert back to what the single fare would have been if you had originally booked single.

Thanks BurBunny. It's a little complex, but here's the scenario. I've already booked as a solo. I'm thinking of asking a friend to go with me. It would save some money for me if we split the price. Now, if she says she'll go with me and we get her booked with me and then she changes her mind, I'll still want to take the cruise. Would the price revert back to what it was when I originally booked? Would the insurance cover the additional supplement, even though I originally booked with the supplement? If she cancels outside the penalty, what are the consequences for me?

Lots of things for me to think about. Hope you can untangle all this.

Thanks BurBunny. It's a little complex, but here's the scenario. I've already booked as a solo. I'm thinking of asking a friend to go with me. It would save some money for me if we split the price. Now, if she says she'll go with me and we get her booked with me and then she changes her mind, I'll still want to take the cruise. Would the price revert back to what it was when I originally booked? Would the insurance cover the additional supplement, even though I originally booked with the supplement? If she cancels outside the penalty, what are the consequences for me?

This might be a time to check with your TA or the cruise line.

If she cancels, the price would revert back to your original single occupancy price. If you both have insurance, and she cancels for a covered reason (generally medical for herself or immediate family members) within penalty, then insurance would cover the increase to the single supplement fare. Outside penalty and no coverage as you have the option to cancel yourself.

Only problem I can see is that if the fare has gone up since you booked ... yes, you will revert back to the single supplement price ... but it will probably be the price at the time she cancelled. If that price is higher, you're stuck.

Personally, I've given up on asking people to go. Sure, if someone from this board wanted to join me, I would probably go for that simply because people on these boards are avid cruisers and probably wouldn't cancel unless it was a true emergency. But, I've had so many friends and co-workers and such say, "yeah, count me in on your next cruise ... I'd love to go" ... then, when I'm ready to book ... "oh, gee ... that just doesn't work out for me right now." Very annoying to say the least.

So, now ... I just book my cruises and go. I don't even bother inviting anyone from my circle of acquaintances to go along.

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 4 weeks later...

Amber, hope you'll see this question. Suppose you book a double occupancy cabin at a discounted price of let's say 599/pp on a special (Cruise line quote for single occupancy is 1500) and let's say your roommate is a sibling, and it is you who is really making all the payments. So you show up at the pier, and surprise of all surprises, your sibling fails to show. What happens?

Not a thing, Howard. You're under full penalty. If the "roomie" fails to show, there is no refund (though you could call the day before if you know about it and with most lines get a tax refund, but not the port charges). But there's no penalty to you either - you just get a solo cabin.

I presume you're talking about a situation where it's a guarantee category, such as with Celebrity or Royal Caribbean, which normally cannot be booked by a single, but which is at a dramatically lower fare? There are times you can get that restriction waived if you're working with an agent who knows the ins and outs of their system ;)

I have a similar situation. I have an awesome rate for a single room with 2 whole windows. It's a well kept secet. :) Anywho...I have a friend that wants to go also. It's not that I don't think that she will back out, but in order to keep my great rate, I will not change over until the very last minute, which will probably be just before the final payoff date. I got it for $680 because of a price drop. If she goes, it will be $1080. I think I will just hold off until closer to the final. I already have all but $130 left to pay, so whether she goes or not won't be a financial hardship. I just don't want to be locked in for $1080! :eek: I will add her in July. By then she will have enough time to be sure. Better to be safe than sorry.

I just got another price drop today. I check the site every day to see if there are any discounts. I found that it is now $594.00 plus 46.40 for a solo cruiser. The total is now $640.46I had Carnival apply the new rate to my contract. I have again saved $40. more dollars just by checking. Do not assume that the given price is the "final" price. Keep checking. :)

Incharge,

If I were you I would try to make sure your friend is or isn't going before the final payment. I recently cruise booked on Princess as a single and after the final payment I tried to add my mom. I was just going to let her pay the difference between the single and the original double rate. Well, apparently the ship was heavily booked by then and Princess raised the rates and even though I already had the cabin I could not add mom for the difference. She was going to have to pay much more then the original difference between single and double. Very Strange!

I see Howard out there and want to say hello.

Incharge - I noticed you mentioned the price drops. Did you book directly with Carnival? Everytime I go online and look the price gets higher. Also - will you let me in on your secret about the single cabins.;) Please!

Incharge,

If I were you I would try to make sure your friend is or isn't going before the final payment. I recently cruise booked on Princess as a single and after the final payment I tried to add my mom. I was just going to let her pay the difference between the single and the original double rate. Well, apparently the ship was heavily booked by then and Princess raised the rates and even though I already had the cabin I could not add mom for the difference. She was going to have to pay much more then the original difference between single and double. Very Strange!

You are so right, snowbird1 This is why I will give her until July to decide, because my final money is due the 2nd week in July. I want her money by the first week in July. I am also afraid that this price will go up, but I just don't feel like haing that large amount due in case she backs out. You just never know.

Incharge - I noticed you mentioned the price drops. Did you book directly with Carnival? Everytime I go online and look the price gets higher. Also - will you let me in on your secret about the single cabins.;) Please!

Yes, I did book through Carnival. However, my first price drop was from another travel company. I just told Carnival about the cheaper rate, and they gave it to me. They never asked for proof, so I don't know how they can keep reducing the prices. Remember that I hae the double window 1A cabin.

Are those the stairwell cabins (2462, 2465 on Valor)? Those are about double the width of a normal cabin and they are between OVs, so it seems like a fair bet. I've got 2212 on Conquest in Oct, which I understand has either porthole(s) or window(s). I was leery of those cabins wrapped around a stairwell due to the possible noise. Have you had one before?

I had one of those 1A's with double porthole.....WONDERFUL is how I described it. My tablemates wanted to see it...and they were aghast that I had much more room than their 4A's and two windows. Here, they thought they had an upgrade....

Will always try to book those cabin when going with Carnival.

I had one of those 1A's with double porthole.....WONDERFUL is how I described it. My tablemates wanted to see it...and they were aghast that I had much more room than their 4A's and two windows. Here, they thought they had an upgrade....

Will always try to book those cabin when going with Carnival.

These 2 cabins are listed as 220 sq. ft. My question is if the long entranceway counts for much of the footage? Is there enough closet/drawer space? Thanks :)

Mikesteg...Yes I have the 2465 cabin, and I am looking forward to it. I do not worry about noise, no biggie. My only problem is if the crew noise wakes me up early after a night of clubbing. :D

...there is lots of room in those cabins, both drawers and closets plus lots of walking around room. Remember, only a single bed on the floor...an upper berth that stays closed. Chairs to sit in, nice chairs, too...a full mirrored vanity...TV shelf with drawers underneath. IMHO, much better than a cabin with two single beds on the floor, the 4A's. I think I had a small couch as well....and don't forget two portholes that were easy to look out to the sea or port. And don't forget the great price....my original week was at the end of Sept. and was going to be around $699-Single. I had to change to the week in Nov (dh grumblings)...and the price rose about $100...not bad considering.

...there is lots of room in those cabins, both drawers and closets plus lots of walking around room. Remember, only a single bed on the floor...an upper berth that stays closed. Chairs to sit in, nice chairs, too...a full mirrored vanity...TV shelf with drawers underneath. IMHO, much better than a cabin with two single beds on the floor, the 4A's. I think I had a small couch as well....and don't forget two portholes that were easy to look out to the sea or port. And don't forget the great price....my original week was at the end of Sept. and was going to be around $699-Single. I had to change to the week in Nov (dh grumblings)...and the price rose about $100...not bad considering.

On the Valor, there are 2 twins.I almost wish there was one bed, because there would be even more space! :) This is my cabin on the Valor.

http://members.cox.net/wennfred2/index

Archived