1.5 days in Rome on your own... Please share your tips!

sofa.king

This will be a pre-cruise stay.  We'll be in a place just north of the Pantheon with a 10 and 12 year old.

We have tickets purchased for the Vatican and Sistine Chapel.  We can do some walking and prefer not to take an organized tour as it seems a bit rigid in the places to see and things to do.

We will get to Rome after an 8 hour flight aroun noon local time with check-in around 2pm or 3pm.  Can we really see the Coloseum that same day or should we just stick with Trevi and Pantheon?  We will see Vatican the following day and leave mid afternoon to go to the Coloseum for a late afternoon tour.

The next morning we will board the ship but need to get to Civitavecchia so I'm not sure we'll have a lot of time to explore Rome (with luggage in tow).

These are the preliminary plans...  so now I would like to hear about other options 

Questions:

1) I've seen that there is a luggage storage in/near Termini.  Is it safe to use this?  Anyone know how much it is per luggage?  This would give us a bit of freedom for exploring the last morning before the cruise.

2) There are some Rome city passes and they include a few different sites etc.  Does anyone have recommendations on whether those are of good value or should I just book tickets to the Coloseum/Forum on my own and visit then.  Are there passes where it would include nearby attractions that we haven't heard of or even a HOHO bus of sorts to get further out?

3) What's the best way to get to the Vatican?  Can we take public trans?  Is it safe with the two kids?  Any areas to avoid?  Do they still have the multi day passes during the summer for adults and kids are lower cost/free?  If there are sites you recommend that I learn more about these basics, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic @sofa.king...

Your arrival in Rome is later than most, so it doesn't give you much time to do a lot after transfer to your hotel and checkin.  Personally, not knowing how you will feel after your flight, I'd go with your suggestion to visit the Pantheon and Trevi.  You can also check out Piazza Navona, Campo de' Fiori, and perhaps the Spanish Steps.  You don't mention your hotel's name, but walking from the Pantheon to the Vatican takes about 30 minutes.

You might want to consider leaving your luggage at your hotel rather than dead heading over to Termini just to drop it off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic @sofa.king...

Your arrival in Rome is later than most, so it doesn't give you much time to do a lot after transfer to your hotel and checkin.  Personally, not knowing how you will feel after your flight, I'd go with your suggestion to visit the Pantheon and Trevi.  You can also check out Piazza Navona, Campo de' Fiori, and perhaps the Spanish Steps.  You don't mention your hotel's name, but walking from the Pantheon to the Vatican takes about 30 minutes.

You might want to consider leaving your luggage at your hotel rather than dead heading over to Termini just to drop it off.

Thanks @-Lew- I was thinking the same with the jet lag.  Might just keep that day fluid and see what we can handle after the flight.  Thanks for the additional places to check out while there.

I don't think we'll be walking to the Vatican for half an hour.  Just curious if there is easily accessible public trans that would drop off at the Vatican instead of hiring a taxi or ride share.  Will definitely consider the hotel as a place to store luggage before heading to Civitavecchia.

13 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Yes, the luggage storage at Termini is safe but it's expensive and time consuming.  Your hotel will hold your bags for you after you check out, and they'll hold them for you upon arrival if it's too soon to get into your room.

Thanks @euro cruiser.  Appreciate the confirmation that the hotel is probably best before and after the stay.

Additional questions:

For those that have visited the Colosseum recently, the tickets seem to allow you to visit three sites.  However, it's one time per site if I'm understanding it correctly.  So you can buy the 24 hour or 48 hour ticket and visit over two days.

Is it a must to get a guide?  Can you rent the audio guides easily or are they hard to come by?  I haven't checked yet, but may there is an app you can download to your phone to provide some detail?  I think there is something similar for Pompeii which I plan on looking into.

Edited by sofa.king

2016 precruise we took the bus and metro a fair bit (in addition to a lot of walking) and felt comfortable doing so.  Google Map's trip planner really helped by identifying which bus to take and where the stops (on & off) were.  The metro coverage isn't convenient to everywhere so the buses can help fill in the gaps with the added bonus of being above ground and being able to see stuff.  I forget if we bought a pass or just paid per ride.   

Check out Wikitravel as a resource, particularly the Public Transport subsection under the Get Around section:  https://wikitravel.org/en/Rome

I find Wikitravel a good starting point but some of the info goes out of date, particularly for less common destinations, as it relies on travellers to update the pages; so cross checking other resources is recommended.

• Thanks 1

I concur with comments about your arrival day - other than the Pantheon all the places mentioned are public areas open 24/7.

The 3-location tickets are for the Colosseum, the Forum and Palatine Hill.

Get to the Colosseum before the crowds - you can walk right past the lines at the ticket booths but there'll be a line for security.

The Forum is across the road from the Colosseum, flat & easy.

Palatine Hill is accessed either from Via di S Gregorio or through the Forum, but it's up a steep hill and its buildings are wide-spread over a large area - in your limited time-frame I suggest you give it a miss.

Don't waste your time or money on the ho-ho buses. I'm a great fan of ho-ho buses in the right locations, but Rome isn't one of them. They can't go down the narrow streets to places like the Pantheon or the Trevi, and they spend much of their time mooching around Termini station looking for trade or waiting by the Vatican. Same advice for ho-ho's in Florence it it's on your schedule.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sofa.king said:

Just curious if there is easily accessible public trans that would drop off at the Vatican instead of hiring a taxi or ride share. 

We've used public transportation in Rome with the aid of Google Maps.  If you post the name of your hotel or apartment, someone will be happy to assist with the best option to get to the Vatican.

25 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

We've used public transportation in Rome with the aid of Google Maps.  If you post the name of your hotel or apartment, someone will be happy to assist with the best option to get to the Vatican.

We’re staying at Locanda Parlamento. I think there’s a blue line bus stop near there.  I suppose you can’t buy Day passes on the bus so maybe I’ll need to do that at Termini when we get there from FCO?  

22 minutes ago, sofa.king said:

We’re staying at Locanda Parlamento

As luck would have it, each of the bus routes recommended by Google Maps require a total of 20+ minutes of combined walking on each end of the bus ride.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your help so far.  

New question.  I’ve been trying to use this site: https://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php?option=com_snapp&view=event&id=3C38AB77-8D5A-5394-05B2-0172EB8E7D46&catalogid=F3CB77BD-6A43-108B-6723-0174490EB610&lang=en

to book tickets for the Colosseum. I’ve read on other sites that this is buggy and some people are unable to successfully book tickets.  

1) is this the right site to be booking at?

2) is there another source for tickets that I should be using?

3) what other options have folks used in order to get tickets in advance so I’m not waiting in an endless line?

Thanks!

On 4/24/2023 at 4:26 PM, sofa.king said:

We’re staying at Locanda Parlamento. I think there’s a blue line bus stop near there.  I suppose you can’t buy Day passes on the bus so maybe I’ll need to do that at Termini when we get there from FCO?  

The closest bus stop to that address is Fontanella Borghese, where the #100 and #119 stop, but that's not very helpful unless they happen to be going where you want to be.  You'd probably do better walking a little further to Largo Chigi where you can get a greater variety of lines.

You're located in the heart of historic Rome, most things are within walking distance so you probably won't use buses very much.  You'll be able to reach most places faster on foot.

If you would use a bus, metro or tram five or more times a day, the day pass makes economic sense, but it's highly unlikely that you would.

An individual use ticket costs 1,50 euro.  The Roma 24 hour pass costs 7 euro.

Biglietti e abbonamenti (atac.roma.it)

• Thanks 1

Agree with euro cruiser.... Our last visit we stayed right next to the Pantheon... excellent location.   We walked to the Vatican no problem.   It is a safe and enjoyable walk.   We also walked to the colosseum (different day).  I just think you will get to both places faster on foot rather than any other options...

The Pantheon is beautiful and very historic, but you don't need to really plan any time for that.   It can be a quick trip as time allows especially since you are staying close by, you can hopefully avoid the busy times (visiting in the morning or later in the evening.) .  

You need a lot of time at the Vatican.   Colosseum could be short or medium visit depending on what you want.  

Jet lag rules say try to stay awake as much as you can on arrival day.   Colosseum may not be out of the question on arrival day depending on how you feel.   Then you could pick up Pantheon after Vatican on day 2 or even the morning of the cruise...

Edited by CCJack

On 4/28/2023 at 6:32 PM, sofa.king said:

Thanks everyone for your help so far.  

New question.  I’ve been trying to use this site: https://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php?option=com_snapp&view=event&id=3C38AB77-8D5A-5394-05B2-0172EB8E7D46&catalogid=F3CB77BD-6A43-108B-6723-0174490EB610&lang=en

to book tickets for the Colosseum. I’ve read on other sites that this is buggy and some people are unable to successfully book tickets.  

1) is this the right site to be booking at?

2) is there another source for tickets that I should be using?

3) what other options have folks used in order to get tickets in advance so I’m not waiting in an endless line?

Thanks!

CoopCulture is the correct site - don't use any others unless you want to risk a third-party booking. The easiest tickets to get are the regular tickets which do not include the Arena or Underground - sometimes easier to find them with the Audioguide rather than just the regular tickets. I've been checking for several weeks on and off and have yet to be able to hypothetically snag morning tickets - just like 5:30pm and blazing hot afternoon ones.

• Thanks 1

Taxis from Central Rome to the Vatican are 10-12 euros per ride.  You may want to consider this option since you are only going to need them one day and it will save you a lot of time and energy walking to get to a bus.

Will be in Rome Nov13 . Am taking ship tour to Peoples Square. We only want to see the Coliseum but we can pass the Spanish Steps and Trevi either on the way to or way back to meeting point. I did not see tickets available. Is it because tickets are not out yet for that date? We leave the ship at 8:45 with a return at 6:30. I’m thinking ticket time of 1 pm. Or are there tickets that are flexible on time but on one date? We plan on walking leisurely to and from the drop off. I know a long way but we can try. If it is too much we can get a cab. We will take a picture of meeting point and address. Is CoopCulture the site to use? So confused by options. Are there places near the People's Square for something quick to eat? We have seen the coliseum from the outside but would like to see the inside. There are 2 of us. 
Thanks.

I was going by what the cruise line said. Yes, I believe Piazza del Popolo is where we will be dropped off.

concerning CoopCulture, are tickets not out yet for November 2023? When will they be available? I know we must do them online.

Is my timing good.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Pearl64 said:

concerning CoopCulture, are tickets not out yet for November 2023? When will they be available? I know we must do them online.

Tickets for the Colosseum only go on sale 30 days in advance. Exactly 30 days, apparently.  And during the peak season they do sell out within minutes after they are released. If you want to purchase them through the original seller (Coopculture), you'll need to do some research about the exact timing of ticket release, the best way to reach Coopculture (internet or phone) and have all of your information ready, including possible alternate times.

Also know which tickets you want -- the basic tour includes the ground level and one or two tiers but does not include the underground area or the top level. For that you have to get the (slightly more $$) "full experience" tickets.  Keep in mind, this is just for entry, not a tour. 

Tickets are all timed, and apparently the time slots are available in 5-minute increments. 

If you are not able to score your tickets through this process, there is still the option of finding them through a third-party vendor, most of which will want to sell you a tour plus the ticket.

On 5/5/2023 at 12:26 PM, fishiecrackers said:

CoopCulture is the correct site - don't use any others unless you want to risk a third-party booking. The easiest tickets to get are the regular tickets which do not include the Arena or Underground - sometimes easier to find them with the Audioguide rather than just the regular tickets. I've been checking for several weeks on and off and have yet to be able to hypothetically snag morning tickets - just like 5:30pm and blazing hot afternoon ones.

Appreciate the help here.  

Do you know if the ticket sales happen at midnight local time for the following month?  Meaning can I get tickets for June 20 on May 20 (for simplicity) at 6pm ET, 12am CET?  It seemed that way for the Vatican tickets.  

2 hours ago, sofa.king said:

Appreciate the help here.  

Do you know if the ticket sales happen at midnight local time for the following month?  Meaning can I get tickets for June 20 on May 20 (for simplicity) at 6pm ET, 12am CET?  It seemed that way for the Vatican tickets.  

Midnight (12 am) in Rome on May 20 is 6pm ET on May 19.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, marazul said:

Midnight (12 am) in Rome on May 20 is 6pm ET on May 19.

Thanks for the correction.  So 1 day before.  Though is that when the following days tickets are up for sale 30 days from then?

32 minutes ago, sofa.king said:

Thanks for the correction.  So 1 day before.  Though is that when the following days tickets are up for sale 30 days from then?

Yes, but start checking a day before just in case.  In your example, if you want tickets for May 20, they will go on sale May 19 at 6 pm ET  but start checking on May 18.

• Thanks 1

It’s just after 6pm ET.  I checked the site and can only see tickets available for Tomorrow.  Is the right or should I be seeing 30 days ahead as well?  Most of the dates are in a pink color and June 2 is in white which means it’s closed that day. I’m shocked if tickets were already sold out within minutes for 30 days out.  Is there a black market for these?

1 hour ago, eiloo said:

It’s just after 6pm ET.  I checked the site and can only see tickets available for Tomorrow.  Is the right or should I be seeing 30 days ahead as well?  Most of the dates are in a pink color and June 2 is in white which means it’s closed that day. I’m shocked if tickets were already sold out within minutes for 30 days out.  Is there a black market for these?

Sort of. Tour companies use bots to buy all the tickets as soon as they sre available. You have to be very quick or you have to buy tickets for the Spanish or Italian tours. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, marazul said:

Sort of. Tour companies use bots to buy all the tickets as soon as they sre available. You have to be very quick or you have to buy tickets for the Spanish or Italian tours. 

Thanks marazul.  So if i were to buy tickets for Spanish or Italian tours, aside from the lost understanding of the tour, what am I missing?  If we go in and roam on our own, that’s sufficient.  Maybe there is an app I can download to describe what I’m seeing?