Straightening irons

boatlife

I have been told different things about whether straightening irons are allowed on Msc Cruises. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere they are allowed. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I may have seen this or if you have any knowledge on this I would really appreciate it. 

TECHNICALLY they are not allowed, but people report bringing them on with them.  There was recently a report on a social media site about a Revlon hair dryer/straightener almost catching fire due to fluctuating voltage (?/current?) onboard.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, boatlife said:

I have been told different things about whether straightening irons are allowed on Msc Cruises. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere they are allowed. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I may have seen this or if you have any knowledge on this I would really appreciate it. 

I take a curlling iron &/or straight iron on EVERY cruise (25+ under my belt)

11 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Yes be credulous my friend nearly burnt out her expensive Dyson

Yeah, I've all but given up taking my Dyson wrap on a cruise (the one time I REALLY want to use it.

It is very hit or miss whether it will work. Even the same room--works one day, not another. 

No idea.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, boatlife said:

Yes you can take them no problem, this same question appears on various groups just about every day with ladies panicking that they are going to have a bad hair day everday on the cruise 💇‍♀️

MSC need to update their website to confirm that you can take them 😊

Edited by NightWoman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Friendly reminder don't bring or use extension cord.  This is likely to damage your straightener and could also damage cabin electrical.  MSC says straightener not allowed however they didn't confiscate ours last week.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your advice and feedback. If I do decide to take them does it make any difference whether I pack in main luggage or hand luggage as to whether they are more likely to allow me to take them?

12 hours ago, jajsmom said:

Along the same lines, are hair dryers in the staterooms?  We will be on Seaside, and someone recently told me that the MSC ship they went on did not have hairdryers.  Thanks.

Yes, there are hair dryers in the top drawer of the vanity.  The little travel ones.  They will do the job but aren't fancy by any means.  

On 4/26/2023 at 7:01 PM, boatlife said:

Thanks everyone for your advice and feedback. If I do decide to take them does it make any difference whether I pack in main luggage or hand luggage as to whether they are more likely to allow me to take them?

No difference. I've taken mine in both hand and checked baggage on various occasions. 

• Like 1