Could Cruise Critic please approach someone at Celebrity for comment on the Asia overbooking fiasco?

Belgian fry

4 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Thank you and I agree.

Alas the air ticket to Japan is in excess of USD1000 and the USD500 offered by Celebrity leaves a large shortfall for many especially family bookings.

However if the cruiser had purchased air tickets via Celebrity, the pain would be lessened.

Bottom line and JMO this debacle has not been Celebrity's finest hour but I suspect that senior management, mentally, has left the building.

ag - actually, methinks, this is only the "debacle" of the hour...

With X being a world wide corporation it is, short notice cancellation of sailings is most likely nothing compared to other issues we do not ever hear about, in real time...

As such, keeping this in My perspective, when I read some of these potential life changing issues, I wonder what more serious issues X has to deal with that are really devastating, not only impacting passengers and also X (or any other international entity).

Yet, from my selfish perspective, something like this has to be about me and what I want in a similar situation... well, maybe for only a few days... then on to plan D in consultation with my family and friends who generally travel with us and our TA.

Thank you and bon voyage

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, anniegb said:

In the UK yes we buy car insurance. It is the law.

ag - the post was not in response to you, but the previous poster...

It is the law here in the US as well... 

bon voyage

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

ag - the post was not in response to you, but the previous poster...

It is the law here in the US as well... 

bon voyage

In the US, car insurance is governed by the States, not the Federal government.  Some states do not require car insurance.  

https://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/do-all-states-require-car-insurance.aspx

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruiserchuck said:

In the US, car insurance is governed by the States, not the Federal government.  Some states do not require car insurance.  

https://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/do-all-states-require-car-insurance.aspx

You are quite correct, without visiting the website, my apologies.

NH & VA

My bad and thank you...

bon voyage

I assumed that the $500 was to pay change fees so you can move any existing air arrangements you have.  I would presume that if your change fees are more than the allotment you could make a direct appeal for the difference. That is how it has worked in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I assumed that the $500 was to pay change fees so you can move any existing air arrangements you have.  I would presume that if your change fees are more than the allotment you could make a direct appeal for the difference. That is how it has worked in the past.

Not the case here. 500 is the maximum. And not all tickets can be modified, especially European ones. 

That’s why some of us are trying to obtain facts before we book our air

On 4/27/2023 at 2:48 PM, NMTraveller said:

The compensation is a joke and will quickly get eaten up by inflation for a future sailing...  It falls way short of what other lines have done in similar situations.

Not an equitable resolution by any means.

SMH at Xs latest muff up.

What have other lines done in similar situations? Would help put into context what Celebrity have failed on.

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

What have other lines done in similar situations? Would help put into context what Celebrity have failed on.

Here is what Royal has done.  A full refund and free cruise...  A generous comp IMHO.

Another Overbooked Oasis-Class Royal Caribbean Ship (cruisehive.com)

If you care to watch the Celebrity train wreck ...

The failures are too numerous to list.  Read the thread...

#1 Would be a total break down in communications from Celebrity...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Here is what Royal has done.  A full refund and free cruise...  A generous comp IMHO.

Another Overbooked Oasis-Class Royal Caribbean Ship (cruisehive.com)

If you care to watch the Celebrity train wreck ...

The failures are too numerous to list.  Read the thread...

#1 Would be a total break down in communications from Celebrity...

To be fair, the RCL folks were getting their cancellation notices 3 or 4 DAYS before they sailed. The compensation for that screw up would have to be MUCH better. 

Edited by XLVIII
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

To be fair, the RCL folks were getting their cancellation notices 3 or 4 DAYS before they sailed. The compensation for that crew up would have to be MUCH better. 

And this one...

Royal Caribbean overbooks Quantum of the Seas sailings, offers complimentary cruises — Singapore Cruise Society (sgcruisesociety.com)

This seems to be more of an industry standard.  They asked for volunteers.  Much like the airlines.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, XLVIII said:

To be fair, the RCL folks were getting their cancellation notices 3 or 4 DAYS before they sailed. The compensation for that screw up would have to be MUCH better. 

Nothing like comparing apples to apples....

Then again... 

Thank you and bon voyage 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Does everyone get a free cruise if Celebrity cancels their cruise?  They canceled mine a few months ago.

Heck where is Oprah when you most want her???

LOL 😂😂😂

bon voyage 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Then again... 

Thank you and bon voyage 

Royal Caribbean overbooks Quantum of the Seas sailings, offers complimentary cruises — Singapore Cruise Society (sgcruisesociety.com)

And yet here is another example.

If you want government to regulate your business Celebrity is trying hard...

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Does everyone get a free cruise if Celebrity cancels their cruise?  They canceled mine a few months ago.

It does not count if you cancelled your own cruise 🙂🙂 

Edited by NMTraveller

38 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Then again... 

Thank you and bon voyage 

Seriously.  Can you point to another cruise line that has hid the problem for 6 months to a year with this many overbookings?  This issue is unprecedented in my book...  Did not Celebrity slightly overstate earnings?  I don't have an apples to apples comparison as no cruise line that I am aware of has muffed things up so bad.  Perhaps the FTC should investigate?

Perhaps if it was handled before airline tickets and excursions were booked the backlash might be less?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Seriously.  Can you point to another cruise line that has hid the problem for 6 months to a year with this many overbookings?  This issue is unprecedented in my book...  Did not Celebrity slightly overstate earnings?  I don't have an apples to apples comparison as no cruise line that I am aware of has muffed things up so bad.  Perhaps the FTC should investigate?

Perhaps if it was handled before airline tickets and excursions were booked the backlash might be less?

Oct 23, 23 Navigator of the Seas entire cruise cancelled for charter. Refund + $100. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

1/22/23 NCL Prima. Entire cruise cancelled (again, a charter). Refund + 10% FCC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Charter...  not overbooking.

Does it matter why you can’t cruise? A charter is worse - the cruise line has made a conscious decision to kick you off your cruise for someone with more money. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

Does it matter why you can’t cruise? A charter is worse - the cruise line has made a conscious decision to kick you off your cruise for someone with more money. 

Apples to apples ... 🙂

The FTC frowns on overbookings, currently unregulated for cruise ships,  but why give the FTC a reason to regulate?  ...  The SEC frowns on overstating earnings...

Yet airlines can cancel flights outright, but there are rules for overbooking...  If the airlines could they would overbook and choose the highest fare,  thus they are regulated.

Perhaps we agree?  The cruise lines are in need of regulation due to bad behavior.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

I thought about this some more.  A charter is just annoying as an overbooking.  The cruise lines should be regulated with rules as they obviously can't behave in an appropriate manner.