If only it were only Nickles and dimes.

corman-cruise

5 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'll agree with those as being problems.  I think these are more logistics and programming than cost reductions.  The performers get paid the same whether they are performing in one of those small venues or the main theater (which goes unused for much of the time).  I (and likely many others) don't understand why folks should cram into or miss the Rumors show when it could instead be presented in the theater.  That said, I haven't had the benefit of sailing on a cruise with that show but I'm sure it's great.  Is Syd Norman's any smaller than the Cavern Club on many other ships?

I ask during lockdown(reduced capacity in venue) on getaway why not move the main  Syd show to the theatre.

The response was contractual.

Syd  performance are cast shows to that venue only.

5 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

I ask during lockdown(reduced capacity in venue) on getaway why not move the main  Syd show to the theatre.

The response was contractual.

Syd  performance are cast shows to that venue only.

Thanks.  It would seem that there would be a win-win out there to revisit the contracts, but I know absolutely nothing about that stuff.

26 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Is Syd Norman's any smaller than the Cavern Club on many other ships?

That's tough to judge by memory. It "seems" like the Cavern Clubs on the Encore and Joy were larger. But I can't say they had more seats. They are standing room only venues for sure.

I completely agree that the more popular shows (like Fleetwood Mac) should be moved to the otherwise empty theater. However, their stage and setup are in Syd's, so moving all the gear, doing rehearsals, sound checks, etc. would be a challenge. 

That said, get there an hour before the show. Great seats, great performers, worth the wait.

2 hours ago, RB9643 said:

That's tough to judge by memory. It "seems" like the Cavern Clubs on the Encore and Joy were larger.

I've been in both, and they are both too small IMHO.  Besides being small, the Joy is also set up so that the stage is on the short side of the rectangular space.  Weird.  The Cavern Club on the Encore is very similar to the one on the Bliss.

6 hours ago, RB9643 said:

However, their stage and setup are in Syd's, so moving all the gear, doing rehearsals, sound checks, etc. would be a challenge. 

Bands from the smaller venues (particularly the Beatles) have done one off shows in the Theatre a few times when I’ve been onboard, so it can’t be too much of a challenge.

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Well there's the problem right there!  The good music only gets one night?  😀

It was early last year Getaway the rumours set was done IIRC  2 set each of 2 nights on a 9n cruise could get the paperwork out to check that's right.

Looking at a Breakaway cruise for June time to brush up by reading current live from and any recent reviews.

This is an issue picking any cruise on any line, all still going through changes it a guess what product you will get by the time you get on.

I’m with Chief on this.  I don’t mind if you’re saying you have to cut back on something like 2X/day cabin service.  It doesn’t affect me one iota.  But, when you’re raising DSC while cutting back on services (in general), that’s where the rub is.

All that said, I’m not one of those “back in the good’ole days” kind of cruiser.  Back in the good old days, smoking was allowed all over the ship.  Nothing against smokers, but it bothered me to no end.  Having to wear suits or formal wear to dine.  Didn’t like it to begin with.  Will never miss it.  I didn’t want to be told I had to have dinner at either 5:30 or 7:30….pshaw!  EVERYTHING was an extra charge (except for food).  Drinks were bought a la carte.  No excursion credits.  Believe it or not, chair hogs were even worse 25 years ago.  Entertainment, while not bad, wasn’t anywhere near to the quality we see today.

And in truth, I think I paid $1,000+ for me and my (then) wife for an inside cabin on the SS Norway (right before it blew up) to the Bahamas.  I can probably book a similar itinerary on a new(er) NCL ship with FAS right now, for the same or less.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Besides being small, the Joy is also set up so that the stage is on the short side of the rectangular space

I can appreciate the layout a bit, though, having stood in the space beyond the bar to take in a show there.  There's a specialty dining venue on the Joy in the location of the Cavern Club on the Bliss and Encore and the Pour House on the Escape, otherwise all those venues would be identical.

28 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

I take it you're not a Fab Four Fan?

They're alright and I enjoy listening to the renditions on the NCL ships.  That said, back in my youth, I listened to a whole lot more Pink Floyd, Queen, Rush and many others (including Fleetwood Mac) than I did the Beatles.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

They're alright and I enjoy listening to the renditions on the NCL ships.  That said, back in my youth, I listened to a whole lot more Pink Floyd, Queen, Rush and many others (including Fleetwood Mac) than I did the Beatles.

There was a pretty good Queen cover band on one of my cruises, did 2 different shows - did a great Bohemian Rhapsody.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, julig22 said:

There was a pretty good Queen cover band on one of my cruises, did 2 different shows - did a great Bohemian Rhapsody.

Nice!  Alexa played some good Queen for us on the Encore in 2021.  We may have had to (slightly) twist her arm but she is my favorite all time NCL performer.  I recently heard that she is on the Sky now, which is a shame because we just got off the Sky (well, Feb) and won't sail her again for the foreseeable future.  Siglo did one or two Queen songs in recent weeks on the Bliss.  They tend to learn a collection of great songs and perfect their presentation, so not a lot of "hey, can you try this one?"  I actually like that.