FAS Speciality Dining Upgrade ($69) - 2 Additional - Can you purchase onboard?

gregluk

Anyone know if you can purchase the FAS Speciality Dining Upgrade onboard and use onboard credit ?

This is the one that's part of the free at sea upgrade stuff, and gives you 2 additional speciality dining for $69 each. It's different from the standalone speciality dining packages and costs less.

I have onboard credit so wondered if this can be purchased onboard?

Thanks

1 hour ago, jcollin said:

We tried this on the Escape in March.  At the time you could buy 2 additional for $70 per person before boarding.  Once on board they had it but it was $118 per person.  No thanks

No thanks is right! No specialty dining restaurant on NCL is worth nearly $60. I convince myself it's worth the $35 when you purchase the upgrade pre-cruise. I'm doubtful of that too. 

i am routinely in the same situation... wanting to use onboard credit for a dining upgrade. on my last cruise on the joy, i, too, was told it was full price. and i balked... and walked.

then, later that same day, all the specialty restaurants had placards up (you know, those little lucite standee things, in which they embed an advertisement, the kind that say what the daily specials at the local are that night)... they all had a placard advertising that there was a "special," which was the same as the pre-cruise purchase price.

no guarantee that will happen on my - or your - next cruise, however. they really should rebrand their marketing campaign: "for a small fee at sea."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

$82.80 now for our upcoming Jewel cruise also.  No thank you.

It is a great value. There is another thread where someone went and "paid cash" at Cagney's and ended up with a $109 dinner. The cost per dinner goes down the more nights you buy. 

My dh and i share a dining voucher. We get 2 vouchers for balcony and 2 from latitude. Each voucher is for 2 people. Except for tepanaki and maderno it works great. On rhe encore food republic worked great. When we go we say we r only using it for one person. Never a problem.If u use only 1 voucher you can save the other one for another time or different restsurent. In cagneys we shared salad and shrimp coctsil and 16oz prime ribe with sides and desert. Plenty for us.

• Like 1

We are on the Star now, day 14.

freestyle daily shows you can purchase 2 specialty dining package for $99 during first 3 days of voyage. l think it was $79.99 before cruise.

We had 5 specialty dinners.  We used two at LaCucina, food and service excellent both times.  Dinner and service at LeBistro was very good.   Moderno was worst specialty meal we’ve ever had on NCL.  Salad bar very minimal and contents were disappointing.  Nothing like Moderno salad bar a few years ago.  Of the included sides all I ate was rice, rest were unappealing.  Meat offerings ok and we sampled 3.  We would have appreciated a more well rounded meal.  Dinner at Cagney’s tonight.

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is a great value. There is another thread where someone went and "paid cash" at Cagney's and ended up with a $109 dinner. The cost per dinner goes down the more nights you buy. 

Really?  That was one person over seven years here.  Anyway you look at it, it is overpriced.  They created a monster via marketing option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Really?  That was one person over seven years here.  Anyway you look at it, it is overpriced.  They created a monster via marketing option.

It's also accurate. Just look at the menu. Heck, we went to Food Republic using our dining credit. The receipt, at the end, showed it cost $200+ for nine items of ok food (Applebee's quality, probably - it's been awhile since I've been to Applebee's) and portions fit for a five year old. 

Anyone that pays full price for any specialty dining with NCL just enjoys being ripped off. With the Free at Sea or a specialty dining package it's at least somewhat close to reality. 

We are almost 1/2 way thru our 15 nights TA and don't see value to pay a discounted $59 or $69 plus 20%, vouchers & dinner credits are associated with pax 1 and 2. 

With 2 remaining credits left, we will use it in one of the a la carte menu, and pax 3 will order just 1 entree from the menu.  Even with 20% for our in.convenience - it's still less than the offered discount "deal" as there's no minimum spend amount to dine together 😁 

We play the let's get smart against Norwegian hype game ... win.win, sort of.😹

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

It's also accurate. Just look at the menu. Heck, we went to Food Republic using our dining credit. The receipt, at the end, showed it cost $200+ for nine items of ok food (Applebee's quality, probably - it's been awhile since I've been to Applebee's) and portions fit for a five year old. 

Anyone that pays full price for any specialty dining with NCL just enjoys being ripped off. With the Free at Sea or a specialty dining package it's at least somewhat close to reality. 

I'm surprised by your comparison of Food Republic to Applebee's.

Of all the specialty restaurants on NCL, Food Republic gets consistently good to excellent reviews.

Last summer, on Joy, I went for the first time for lunch with my daughter and her bf and it was very good. Way better than Applebee's, which I haven't been to in a few years too.

We used 2 credits so we had 8 items and all 3 of us enjoyed it.

I'm actually considering getting the $82.80 2 meal bump, just for myself, on our upcoming sailing on Joy so I can go for lunch again.

I know it's not a "great" deal, but it's definitely well worth it for me.

4 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

It is $69 plus gratuities which makes it $82.80

As a point of reference, we just purchased the two meal add-on yesterday for an upcoming cruise and there were no gratuities added... or the wrong gratuities?  

Screenshot2023-04-28at9_54_30AM.thumb.png.c5e6fcd31fe28d896d6311218846ee33.png

6 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

As a point of reference, we just purchased the two meal add-on yesterday for an upcoming cruise and there were no gratuities added... or the wrong gratuities?  

This is the price we paid also 

17 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

This is what ours shows if we add the upgrade to our package...it says it is $69 plus gratuities in the description .

dining pkg price.png

Edited by ready2cruzagain

2 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

This is what ours shows if we add the upgrade to our package...it says it is $69 plus gratuities in the description .

dining pkg price.png

Good lord, they raised the price again? Now the specialty dining upgrade is not worth the cost. We did upgrade on our March cruise as the price was $70, so $35 per meal, plus gratuity. No more upgrades for us! No meal in a specialty restaurant is worth $40 on NCL. They just aren't that "special." 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I'm surprised by your comparison of Food Republic to Applebee's.

Of all the specialty restaurants on NCL, Food Republic gets consistently good to excellent reviews.

Last summer, on Joy, I went for the first time for lunch with my daughter and her bf and it was very good. Way better than Applebee's, which I haven't been to in a few years too.

We used 2 credits so we had 8 items and all 3 of us enjoyed it.

I'm actually considering getting the $82.80 2 meal bump, just for myself, on our upcoming sailing on Joy so I can go for lunch again.

I know it's not a "great" deal, but it's definitely well worth it for me.

I confused myself too...haha...but I do stand by my words comparing it to Applebee's, unless they have really gone downhill since the last time I was there (probably four or five years ago, now). 

The first post on this page (14) is my full review of Food Republic on Joy. As you can see, at first I was very gracious with my words, but then as I reviewed each item my words were more and more critical. 

In another thread, this morning, I just found out the new price of the two meal upgrade. I would not be upgrading for that cost, for any of the restaurants onboard. $40 per meal is just too much for the small portions and just so-so food. 

33 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

My daughter has the same for her Escape sailing in May.

Mine is the 82.80 for some reason on Joy in July.

Worth checking out the Free at Sea PLUS package, which includes the two additional meals per person - but also includes a lot more - free unlimited WiFi, an extra $50 off excursions for second passenger, along with the upgraded drink package, which includes bottled water, freshly squeezed juices, and Starbucks.

12 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I confused myself too...haha...but I do stand by my words comparing it to Applebee's, unless they have really gone downhill since the last time I was there (probably four or five years ago, now). 

The first post on this page (14) is my full review of Food Republic on Joy. As you can see, at first I was very gracious with my words, but then as I reviewed each item my words were more and more critical. 

In another thread, this morning, I just found out the new price of the two meal upgrade. I would not be upgrading for that cost, for any of the restaurants onboard. $40 per meal is just too much for the small portions and just so-so food. 

While I don't completely disagree with you, if I order 4 sushi rolls (which are similar in size to what I get here on LI) and it costs me $41 total, that's a significant savings over what I pay at home.

At home, I'd probably pay in the neighborhood of $60 for 4 rolls plus tax and gratuity which would come out to around $80.

I do remember sailing on Dawn when it was brand new and paying $10 to eat at Le Bistro. That was definitely worth it!

I am kinda stuck in buying it for my "passenger #3"

I get 2 x 2 meals with my Latitudes and 2 x 1 meal with FAS, but only for pax 1-2

So my daughter who is my third pax has no meal included. I want to do Cagney's, Moderno and Teppenyaki. A la carte in those 3 restaurants will be higher then the 3 meal package ($225 CAD ) for sure.

Prices are way higher this time around