Lido Market Buffet vs MDR

dalesyang

7 hours ago, dalesyang said:

So I have never been on a cruise before,  but when i'm at a buffet in Las Vegas or anywhere on land, I just form at the line where the clean plates are.   After that, if I see that people are in line for a particular section that I'm not interested in,  I skip over them.     Is that bad I wonder for a cruise?    No reason to wait in line at the sushi section when I dont eat sushi just to be polite.    Skipping over them only makes sense?     

Not been on a HAL cruise yet but that's exactly what I do on Cunard -  havne't been shouted at yet LOL Why would you queue for a station you ddin't want?? The only real queue is the one for the plats as far as I'm concerned 

• Like 1

Nothing better after arriving late back to the ship from an excursion than the taco bar or a burger for lunch at the Dive In. On my first HAL cruise it took me 10 days to discover this. Also, loved room service for early morning shore excursions. Left a note on the door to just knock and come in as they were often early, and we were still asleep.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, islander47 said:

Nothing better after arriving late back to the ship from an excursion than the taco bar or a burger for lunch at the Dive In. On my first HAL cruise it took me 10 days to discover this. Also, loved room service for early morning shore excursions. Left a note on the door to just knock and come in as they were often early, and we were still asleep.

Ditto! Took me a few days before I started having breakfast in the room, and it's tempting to get more stuff. And although I'm a vegetarian, they make any time of beyond meat burgers for lunch.

• Like 2

We eat dinner about 45% 45% 10% between the MDR, Lido, and speciality restaurants, and about 90% 5% 5% between the Lido, MDR, and quick service for lunch. If we do breakfast, it's the Lido or the late breakfast option at the pizza place.

Lido excels at a few quick choices and simple breakfasts (like muesli). Our dinner favourites are the distant lands curries/stir fries, salads, and occasional meat-and-potatoes. The Lido is perfect if we want to catch a show and all of the bands, but the MDR is our favourite on dressy days of all sorts. Speciality stuff is ~1 per week, and is always great.

The MDR is great for the experience, and we'll do this late if we do it. 

Lunches and breakfasts are usually taken up to our cabana, so most of the Lido/quick service business is skipped.

Edited by robotpony
Clarification
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, robotpony said:

We saw dozens of people in their robes most sea days on the Kongingsdam last week. There are a few reasons that might be okay, but I don't think I could do it.

I used to work with someone that wore pj bottoms to work.  Just for context I work in a corporate office.  Her husband told her that’s not appropriate work attire.  Then she made comments about how people did their hair.  People in glass houses.  I wouldn’t do it either.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I used to work with someone that wore pj bottoms to work.

I work in a casual industry, but even in my home office I wear office appropriate clothing. It makes it feel like my workplace!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robotpony said:

We eat dinner about 45% 45% 10% between the MDR, Lido, and speciality restaurants, and about 90% 5% 5% between the Lido, MDR, and quick service for lunch. If we do breakfast, it's the Lido or the late breakfast option at the pizza place.

Lido excels at a few quick choices and simple breakfasts (like muesli). Our dinner favourites are the distant lands curries/stir fries, salads, and occasional meat-and-potatoes. The Lido is perfect if we want to catch a show and all of the bands, but the MDR is our favourite on dressy days of all sorts. Speciality stuff is ~1 per week, and is always great.

The MDR is great for the experience, and we'll do this late if we do it. 

Lunches and breakfasts are usually taken up to our cabana, so most of the Lido/quick service business is skipped.

I forgot they have curries there.  I wouldn’t do it for lunch because I find it’s too filling but this could be a good option for my “late” returning shorex.  Thanks for the reminder.

Just now, Florida_gal_50 said:

I forgot they have curries there.  I wouldn’t do it for lunch because I find it’s too filling but this could be a good option for my “late” returning shorex.  Thanks for the reminder.

They are almost always excellent! They're tucked around the corner on that station too, so most people miss them. A few stations have an extra service area around that side that most people miss.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, robotpony said:

I work in a casual industry, but even in my home office I wear office appropriate clothing. It makes it feel like my workplace!

It really does.  Even during the start of the pandemic when I worked from home I still put on dress pants and a blouse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It really does.  Even during the start of the pandemic when I worked from home I still put on dress pants and a blouse.

There is a video showing a husband and wife attending their daughter's online wedding. The father seems to be wearing a suit, but after the wedding he believed the computer was off and stood up in his underwear. Pretty funny.

34 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

There is a video showing a husband and wife attending their daughter's online wedding. The father seems to be wearing a suit, but after the wedding he believed the computer was off and stood up in his underwear. Pretty funny.

There are so many of those.  I don’t get it.  I guess it’s hard to put on pants.  I know someone that looked absolutely beautiful when they came into the office.  Now wears a housecoat even when having meetings with “outside” people. It’s so odd to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robotpony said:

We saw dozens of people in their robes most sea days on the Kongingsdam last week. There are a few reasons that might be okay, but I don't think I could do it.

My goodness - I can't think of a single reason that would be ok!  Bathrobes shouldn't be worn outside of your stateroom.  If you change into one in the spa, change back into clothes to return to your stateroom.  Wish they could be like an electric fence dog collar - step outside your stateroom and the zaps let you know to turn around & not wander in public wearing a bathrobe!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

My goodness - I can't think of a single reason that would be ok!  Bathrobes shouldn't be worn outside of your stateroom.  If you change into one in the spa, change back into clothes to return to your stateroom.  Wish they could be like an electric fence dog collar - step outside your stateroom and the zaps let you know to turn around & not wander in public wearing a bathrobe!

Sue/WDW1972

Best post I’ve read in a long time ❤️😛.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

Sue/WDW1972

We use them to go the swimming pool with. But never to a inside  restaraunt or Lido 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lissie said:

We use them to go the swimming pool with. But never to a inside  restaraunt or Lido 

I throw on a swimsuit coverup over my swimsuit and hubby throws on a t-shirt on top of his swim trunks.  I have heard of a minority of people using bathrobes to cover swimsuits, but we'd never do that - just isn't appropriate to us.  Maybe it's different/more normal in other countries.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

I throw on a swimsuit coverup over my swimsuit and hubby throws on a t-shirt on top of his swim trunks.  I have heard of a minority of people using bathrobes to cover swimsuits, but we'd never do that - just isn't appropriate to us.  Maybe it's different/more normal in other countries.

Sue/WDW1972

That's fine going up when dry- but once you're wet you're walking through with damp/wet swim suits and putting on a t-shirt when wet can be quite hard. I have used a cover-up in the past  but on my next trip its not coming as we're doing carry on only.  I will have a sarong I can wrap around - is that considered better than a bathrobe? 

Its completely normal to use the hotel robe in large Asian hotels (that's where I picked up the trick ). At home its normal to just wear swimsuits and barefeet  or thongs/flipflops - but our swim suits tend to be modest to protect from the sun e.g. I'd normally wear swim suit , board shorts and long-sleeved rash vest. 

• Like 1

Just now, lissie said:

That's fine going up when dry- but once you're wet you're walking through with damp/wet swim suits and putting on a t-shirt when wet can be quite hard. I have used a cover-up in the past  but on my next trip its not coming as we're doing carry on only.  I will have a sarong I can wrap around - is that considered better than a bathrobe? 

Its completely normal to use the hotel robe in large Asian hotels (that's where I picked up the trick ). At home its normal to just wear swimsuits and barefeet  or thongs/flipflops - but our swim suits tend to be modest to protect from the sun e.g. I'd normally wear swim suit , board shorts and long-sleeved rash vest. 

Yes, a sarong would work.  Hubby has no qualms about pulling his t-shirt on while wet - drives me crazy 😉  I seldom go into the pool but do use the shower to cool off but tend to be dry before heading inside.  I've never been to New Zealand (yet) or Asia, so wasn't sure if the bathrobe thing was different over there.  Thanks for enlightening me!  I'll still limit my robe to inside the stateroom though 😉

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

Yes, a sarong would work.  Hubby has no qualms about pulling his t-shirt on while wet - drives me crazy 😉  I seldom go into the pool but do use the shower to cool off but tend to be dry before heading inside.  I've never been to New Zealand (yet) or Asia, so wasn't sure if the bathrobe thing was different over there.  Thanks for enlightening me!  I'll still limit my robe to inside the stateroom though 😉

Sue/WDW1972

Thanks for that - the robe wearing thing does vary by nationality. I'm very aware that our next cruise will be probably nearly 100% N. American and 90% American so I'm trying to work out the differences. Our previous cruises have been very international so it was hard to tell  who was wearing what LOL  We are cruising to Iceland - if I'm not in the pool I'll be wearing merino thermals! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

My goodness - I can't think of a single reason that would be ok!  Bathrobes shouldn't be worn outside of your stateroom. 

A bathrobe is acceptable wear in a variety of cultures. 

I've ever been comfortable wearing a bathrobe out of my stateroom because of my North American roots, but I don't think anything negative when others do. 

16 minutes ago, lissie said:

Thanks for that - the robe wearing thing does vary by nationality. I'm very aware that our next cruise will be probably nearly 100% N. American and 90% American so I'm trying to work out the differences. Our previous cruises have been very international so it was hard to tell  who was wearing what LOL  We are cruising to Iceland - if I'm not in the pool I'll be wearing merino thermals! 

What do you do with the wet robe?

1 hour ago, lissie said:

I have used a cover-up in the past  but on my next trip its not coming as we're doing carry on only.  I will have a sarong I can wrap around - is that considered better than a bathrobe? 

Oh my, yes. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 7:46 PM, Native Floridian 26 said:

Yes, I tested negative and they never tested again.  They have relaxed the protocols quite a bit…

So, are you saying after your husband tested positive, you both moved from your original cabin into a balcony cabin and stayed together. He isolated, but after testing you a single time, HAL allowed you to dine in the MDR and enjoy the rest of the ship without anything further? Did they give any guidance regarding the current CDC protocols for those who have been exposed (additional testing on Day 6, plus high quality masking while in public for 10 days)?

I’m glad he’s feeling better. All the Best!

Edited by syesmar

7 minutes ago, syesmar said:

So, are you saying after your husband tested positive, you both moved from your original cabin into a different one and stayed together. He isolated, but after testing you a single time, HAL allowed you to dine in the MDR and enjoy the rest of the ship without anything further? Did they give any guidance regarding the current CDC protocols for those who have been exposed (additional testing and high quality masking at all times in public)?

I’m glad he’s feeling better. All the Best!

Yes on first question and No on second.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1