When do dinner reservations typically become available to book?

cb2367

I'm booked for a cruise in September and am wanting to stay on top of everything this time. As I did with my last cruise, I opted for a speciality restaurant (one night). I wanted to be able to book as early as possible to avoid possibly having to go to the same venue I went to last time. Right now, everything shows in the app as too early to book.

1 hour ago, genealogyfan said:

Just be aware, NCL only releases about 20% of their available dining reservations ahead of sailing. If there is a time/restaurant you want to reserve and it's not available, just book when you board.

Your % of pre-cruise reservations is way too low. That being said, the challenge is that you need to board early, which is not always possible if you fly in day of cruise, and hope that there are reservations in the time slots you want available.

We have been the first to board and not gotten our preferred dates and time for specialty dining (October 2022 and December 2022 cruises). And have been on cruises where popular restaurants like Cagney's is totally sold out (even the 9:00 pm reservations) for the entire cruise by 1:00 on embarkation day. 

On our cruise earlier this month, the ship sailed at 120% capacity, and there was high demand for specialty dining and restaurants were sold out for times on most nights. 

On 4/28/2023 at 6:42 PM, cb2367 said:

I'm booked for a cruise in September and am wanting to stay on top of everything this time. As I did with my last cruise, I opted for a speciality restaurant (one night). I wanted to be able to book as early as possible to avoid possibly having to go to the same venue I went to last time. Right now, everything shows in the app as too early to book.

The best advise is to book exactly 120 days prior to departure (12 midnight eastern time). And call as soon as NCL opens in the morning if you are having problems booking online. Onlne reservations open 130 days prior to departure for suites and 125 days for Club Balcony and top-tier Latitudes members. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Your % of pre-cruise reservations is way too low. That being said, the challenge is that you need to board early, which is not always possible if you fly in day of cruise, and hope that there are reservations in the time slots you want available.

We have been the first to board and not gotten our preferred dates and time for specialty dining (October 2022 and December 2022 cruises). And have been on cruises where popular restaurants like Cagney's is totally sold out (even the 9:00 pm reservations) for the entire cruise by 1:00 on embarkation day. 

On our cruise earlier this month, the ship sailed at 120% capacity, and there was high demand for specialty dining and restaurants were sold out for times on most nights. 

BirdTravels: Do you work for NCL?

Edited by genealogyfan

All this blathering about getting on the ship early, booking at the exact moment reservations come available is just ridiculous. 

Try to book online. If you're not able, then try to book when you're on the ship. If you can't make a reservation that day, try again. I have never, ever had to eat at a time that didn't work for me. Three of my four NCL cruises have been well over 100% capacity and each time we just made the reservation, either online or onboard. 

It's really not as difficult as some like to state. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

All this blathering about getting on the ship early, booking at the exact moment reservations come available is just ridiculous. 

Try to book online. If you're not able, then try to book when you're on the ship. If you can't make a reservation that day, try again. I have never, ever had to eat at a time that didn't work for me. Three of my four NCL cruises have been well over 100% capacity and each time we just made the reservation, either online or onboard. 

It's really not as difficult as some like to state. 

I agree, especially when they only release 20% of the reservations ahead of time (which I was told by someone who actually worked at NCL). The only ones that might be an issue are specialty restaurants which are smaller venues. 

9 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

I agree, especially when they only release 20% of the reservations ahead of time (which I was told by someone who actually worked at NCL). The only ones that might be an issue are specialty restaurants which are smaller venues. 

I was told that as well... multiple times by multiple people... from NCL Personal Cruise Consultants to former officers that now work at Corporate.  

One thing to keep in mind:  Some people are able to connect to the on-board app while waiting in the terminal and book before they even board.  So, trying to get the reservation of choice when they open up for booking really is best.  

1 hour ago, genealogyfan said:

I was told the same 20% by the pre-cruise haven concierges.  

BTW, one can make reservations there as well.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 9:41 AM, BirdTravels said:

The best advise is to book exactly 120 days prior to departure (12 midnight eastern time). And call as soon as NCL opens in the morning if you are having problems booking online. Onlne reservations open 130 days prior to departure for suites and 125 days for Club Balcony and top-tier Latitudes members. 

Question on this - I was checking today to make sure nothing has been altered on our September 24 Jade sailing. The dining reservations were shown as "too early," which is to be expected. Their note said to come back on May 27 (120 days prior to embarkation) to book. We are in an aft suite, which should be able to book at 130 days prior (May 17).

Is this just a Web site issue, i.e., everyone is shown the same date for reservations regardless of category, or is something amiss here? I am assuming the former, but don't know.

• 11 months later...
12 minutes ago, Magnificentmillie1 said:

On a different subject, can you, or  do you need to reserve entertainment venues?

Depends on the ship. Looks like you are on the Prima where theatre entertainment should be bookable 21 days out.

For smaller places like Sid Normans you have to queue. The queue starts fairly early apparently and you may need to be there an hour early to have a chance of a seat.

• Thanks 1