Changing currency in Canada Vancouver from CAD to USD

We are on an Alaskan cruise next month starting in seattle. We have around $1500 CAD left over from a previous trip which started in BC. I was wondering what is the best way to change these into USD? We will use a little on the Vancouver Port that we stop off at but im sure I will still have $1300+ by the end of that stop off. What is the easier and best way of exchanging it without losing a load by changing it on the ship for example? is there a place near port that I could use in Canada for example?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

7 hours ago, mashisback said:

We are on an Alaskan cruise next month starting in seattle. We have around $1500 CAD left over from a previous trip which started in BC. I was wondering what is the best way to change these into USD? We will use a little on the Vancouver Port that we stop off at but im sure I will still have $1300+ by the end of that stop off. What is the easier and best way of exchanging it without losing a load by changing it on the ship for example? is there a place near port that I could use in Canada for example?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

You will find a number of banks in the downtown area. Royal Bank is about 400 - 500 yds at the corner of Granville & Hastings. They normally carry a stock of US bills and being downtown should easily have > US $1,000 on hand.

• Thanks 1

What days of the week are you going to be in town?  Some financial institutions are not open on the weekend.  

The two currency exchange places I use are:

Vancouver Bullion and Currency Exchange on Pender which is about a 5-10m walk from Canada Place but this branch doesn't open on the weekends.  (They have other branches outside of the downtown core that are open on the weekends.)

Charlie's Currency Exchange on Granville Street which is about a 15m walk from Canada Place and are open on the weekends.  They're a small business that on the surface kind of looks a bit sketchy but they are legitmate and have been operating for a few decades.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, cruiseryyc said:

Why not just take it to your home bank in the US and exchange it there?

Or save it for future trips to Canada.

im from the UK, I kept them from my last trip but once I have done this trip i have quite a few other things to tick off before I would think about having another Canada or Alaska trip. 

26 minutes ago, Milhouse said:

What days of the week are you going to be in town?  Some financial institutions are not open on the weekend.  

The two currency exchange places I use are:

Vancouver Bullion and Currency Exchange on Pender which is about a 5-10m walk from Canada Place but this branch doesn't open on the weekends.  (They have other branches outside of the downtown core that are open on the weekends.)

Charlie's Currency Exchange on Granville Street which is about a 15m walk from Canada Place and are open on the weekends.  They're a small business that on the surface kind of looks a bit sketchy but they are legitmate and have been operating for a few decades.

Thank you 🙂 I will try these, we are in port on a Thursday and havent booked any excursions so will have time to try locate these. Thanks for the recommendations x