Misleading photo

kruzseeka

Although I don’t care for the practice this is nothing new.

I’ve seen countless brochures over the years from many lines that included tight shots of people eating and drinking that were clearly stock and not even taken aboard a ship.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 7:18 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

Although I don’t care for the practice this is nothing new.

I’ve seen countless brochures over the years from many lines that included tight shots of people eating and drinking that were clearly stock and not even taken aboard a ship.

and  having been onboard QV Sept '19 when advertising shots of the beautiful people were being filmed I can categorically say these were set up with great precision. They of course were  mirroring real life onboard.

Not!  😄

• Haha 2

News outlets are forever doing similar. Reporting on bus/train incidents and showing a photo of a different type of vehicle and a often a different operator that wasn't involved.

On a similar vein; one of my favourites, and admittedly it is fiction so they can twist reality to their storyline; is from the US crime drama "Ransom", episode "Girl on a Train". Actors seemingly board a train at Menton and travel directly to Entrevaux. To do so would require major conversion works on the train and a crane to lift it the 500 metres between the two different networks.

I think I have the direction correct, but it's possible they went the other way. I wasn't watching but my ears pricked up when I realised what they claimed was happening.

Some YouTube Vlogers give us the real sense of the onboard “scene” of what’s happening on ships, resorts, and hotels vs the utopia that marketing gurus portray to us. 
Some of those Vlog scenes look good, some not so much.

Embarkation videos look quite bleak in many videos. 

2 minutes ago, NE John said:

Some YouTube Vlogers give us the real sense of the onboard “scene” of what’s happening on ships, resorts, and hotels vs the utopia that marketing gurus portray to us. 

It's always interesting to see those "The Reality of Cruising" articles on the Internet that show the expectations vs. reality.  Especially on the huge mega-liners.  Pool areas swamped with people, long lines for boarding, etc.

2 hours ago, D&N said:

News outlets are forever doing similar. Reporting on bus/train incidents and showing a photo of a different type of vehicle and a often a different operator that wasn't involved.

On a similar vein; one of my favourites, and admittedly it is fiction so they can twist reality to their storyline; is from the US crime drama "Ransom", episode "Girl on a Train". Actors seemingly board a train at Menton and travel directly to Entrevaux. To do so would require major conversion works on the train and a crane to lift it the 500 metres between the two different networks.

I think I have the direction correct, but it's possible they went the other way. I wasn't watching but my ears pricked up when I realised what they claimed was happening.

Well I was quite flattered in a way when Daily Mail used one of my photos of the Queens Room on Queen Mary 2 to illustrate their story. They had the correct cruise line and ship just a pity it was negative story about the ship breaking down

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NE John said:

I found one of those a few nights ago that shows about 10 seconds of us dancing quickstep. I asked if they had any more footage that had been edited out but they claimed not.

I don't think they have any travel agent connections, so will name them: "TravelTouristVideos".

The young lady in their videos eats food quite pleasantly. She seems to consume an awful lot though. I hope she is just tasting her companions' dishes much of the time.

Those Vlogs get addictive. 
I’m sure you guys look good dancing. I’ve seen her eat and she loves her food! 
They seemed to like Cunard as a young couple with younger son. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

This is just shocking to me.  Why, the other day I went into a restaurant advertising that it had the world's best key lime pie.  And I don't think it was.  

I can tell you where you CAN get the best Key Lime Pie 

I can even tell my #1 and #2 places to get it

Of course, taste is subjective 😏

11 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

I can tell you where you CAN get the best Key Lime Pie 

I can even tell my #1 and #2 places to get it

Of course, taste is subjective 😏

OK, I'll bite (pun intended).  Where?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

OK, I'll bite (pun intended).  Where?

My opinion, of course… and I am a fan of Key Lime Pie with meringue (instead of whipped cream) as the topping.

Best

-Blond Giraffe

Tavernier, FL

(Florida Keys)

Second Best

- Blue Heaven

Key West

(Florida Keys)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

My opinion, of course… and I am a fan of Key Lime Pie with meringue (instead of whipped cream) as the topping.

Best

-Blond Giraffe

Tavernier, FL

(Florida Keys)

Second Best

- Blue Heaven

Key West

(Florida Keys)

Very familiar with Blue Heaven, although for the life of me I can't recall ever eating key lime pie there.

I haven't heard of Blond Giraffe.  Tavernier is just a place to drive through on the way down.  Isn't there some restaurant that has billboards for a giant fish sandwich in Tavernier, or am I thinking of a different island?

Had a neighbor that used to make a key lime pie with meringue and a chocolate crust (sacrilege!!  but delicious!!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

FISH Finger grilled sandwiches and chips. Add tarter sauce or smokehouse ketchup as a dip  and ...yummy! 🙂

Fish fingers (often made from quality fish) are a way of selling as many breadcrumbs as possible at fish prices. Making a sandwich out them makes it even worse. Yuck. Never trust any food covered with breadcrumbs (or batter, come to that). They are there as camouflage - of paucity or quality. 😀

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Fish fingers (often made from quality fish) are a way of selling as many breadcrumbs as possible at fish prices. Making a sandwich out them makes it even worse. Yuck. Never trust any food covered with breadcrumbs (or batter, come to that). They are there as camouflage - of paucity or quality. 😀

Well there you go. I always knew I had pleb tastes although I don't suppose the fish monger I get my 'fingers' from would be too happy calling his Cod Fingers, pleb!.

The bread is wholemeal. Would that count to being a bit healthier! 🤣

I might even ask for them for lunch on our next cruise.

Very off piste Queens Grill! 😁

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1