Ventura 35-night cruises

mrsgoggins

I've just scared myself to death by reading reviews of Ventura's 35-night Caribbean cruises!  I have one booked. Whilst I understand that the disgruntled are far more likely to share their experiences than the satisfied/happy, the reviews do seem a bit alarming, with only one exception.

Anyone care to share their post-covid experience of these longer cruises on Ventura?

Cannot speak about post Covid but we were on the last Ventura cruise pre lockdown which was 35 nights to the Caribbean and New Orleans.

Weather was not as good as we would have liked on the way out - but that is nothing to do with either the ship or P&O and the meals became a repetitive as they always do on anything over 14 days - but apart from that there was nothing that spoilt the cruise.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, swanseaboy said:

Moaners will always moan. Take the reviews with a very large pinch of salt. I bet you those moaners have future cruises booked with P&O. Some people are happy moaning 😆

That’s rather unfair. Nothing wrong with people expressing their disappointment. We’re definitely not moaners - we’ve always enjoyed every cruise, but the food offering on Britannia last week was underwhelming to say the least. Other aspects were very good though. 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

That’s rather unfair. Nothing wrong with people expressing their disappointment. We’re definitely not moaners - we’ve always enjoyed every cruise, but the food offering on Britannia last week was underwhelming to say the least. Other aspects were very good though. 

I agree, calling people 'moaners' is just a way to dismiss their concerns.

I've had a look at the Ventura reviews, and many people were trying to be balanced, pointing out good and bad.  But the same things were being said time and time again, which  implies that there have been certain issues on Ventura 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, david63 said:

Cannot speak about post Covid but we were on the last Ventura cruise pre lockdown which was 35 nights to the Caribbean and New Orleans.

I suspect that the post-Covid cruises have attracted more complaints largely due to staffing levels and (probably) a reduced food budget on some ships, hence the portion size reductions mentioned so often. I could be wrong of course, and things may be different on these 35-nighters next year 🤞

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, swanseaboy said:

Apologies if I have inadvertently upset anyone but I have come across one or two 'moaners' onboard too...

Me too, me too 😄!  I think you soon get a ‘feel’ for those online whose views you would share however.

• Like 5

Just had a quick look but didn’t see the reviews of the 35 nighters. I stopped reading them as the negatives are mostly the same issues that I’ve read fairly consistently on this forum, so didn’t really come as a surprise. I had to smile at the person who was complaining bitterly about paying a fortune for the drinks package and then having most of their drinks requests refused because they didn’t come within the rules of the package (no doubles, no branded mixers etc). Clearly they didn’t read all the exclusions before buying the package!

• Like 5

We have done several of these longer cruises, most pre covid but we did do the 40 night Arcadia cruise at the end of 22. We have booked for Iona 25 so that speaks volumes for what we think. When we got back from Arcadia and I checked facecloth there was a long withering review of the cruise, in the opinion of the poster the cruise was awful which certainly wasn't our opinion or that of most of the people we spent time with. The cruise was not perfect and we could have griped about some trivial aspects but nothing to complain about. I am sure some may have had a different experience and felt justified in complaining, such is life. We love these long lazy winter cruises getting away from the doom and gloom and winter weather and will continue with them while our health and finances allow. I don't tend to read the reviews unless they are from some of the regulars on here whose opinion I respect. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, swanseaboy said:

Apologies if I have inadvertently upset anyone but I have come across one or two 'moaners' onboard too...

Don’t apologise thats your opinion. I never read the reviews on here as the name of the site leads people to complain. We are regular 35 night on Ventura and have had 3 excellent cruises and have 2 more booked.

3 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I suspect that the post-Covid cruises have attracted more complaints largely due to staffing levels and (probably) a reduced food budget on some ships, hence the portion size reductions mentioned so often. I could be wrong of course, and things may be different on these 35-nighters next year 🤞

I have to laugh about the complaints about the size of portions. The answer is very simple ask for more. The idea of going 35 nights without saying something to the waiters is crazy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I've just scared myself to death by reading reviews of Ventura's 35-night Caribbean cruises!  I have one booked. Whilst I understand that the disgruntled are far more likely to share their experiences than the satisfied/happy, the reviews do seem a bit alarming, with only one exception.

Anyone care to share their post-covid experience of these longer cruises on Ventura?

Let’s hope you are on the Jan 3rd one as we can have a chat. This will be our 4th on Ventura and we love the ship.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daiB said:

I have to laugh about the complaints about the size of portions. The answer is very simple ask for more. The idea of going 35 nights without saying something to the waiters is crazy. 

Extra salad or soup course, extra veg or chips with meals, ice cream with sweet. Never been an issue and usually once you have had a top up the waiter will ask if you want anything else. 

• Like 4

We have completed a number of these longer cruises, some on Ventura , and of course some things will not be perfect and in the case of 65 night cruises yes the food does become a little repetitive , however unless its something serious we will not complain ,we may bring faults with plumbing etc to the attention of reception ,anything else can usually be dealt with by a quiet word to the correct personel. It is always nice to hear a review of ships as long as it is balanced and as such can be  very useful 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daiB said:

As a seasoned cruiser you know that Dai. Some of the reviews were first time cruisers or first time on P&O. I don’t think it is mentioned anywhere on the menus etc that extras can be requested.

The portion sizes recently have been excessively small (and I’m not a big eater). Frankly some of it was not worth having seconds of as first was bland and tasteless anyway.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, swanseaboy said:

I have come across moaners onboard who enjoy nothing more than finding fault with everything. That said I have also come across those with a complete and utter lack of any discernment or standards who won’t hear a word against P&O regardless of how justified it may be.

I tend to read and pay more attention to balanced reviews that present the good and the bad without hyperbole.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

As a seasoned cruiser you know that Dai. Some of the reviews were first time cruisers or first time on P&O. I don’t think it is mentioned anywhere on the menus etc that extras can be requested.

The portion sizes recently have been excessively small (and I’m not a big eater). Frankly some of it was not worth having seconds of as first was bland and tasteless anyway.

Sorry I have to disagree, first timers on a 35 night cruise? Even if they were first timers they could still mention it. It should not need spelling out on the menu.

1 hour ago, daiB said:

My comment was about the number of times this is now mentioned. I doubt anyone feels they are underfed on a cruise ship ……. but, people do notice a difference, and I think that is the issue.

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Let’s hope you are on the Jan 3rd one as we can have a chat. This will be our 4th on Ventura and we love the ship.

👍 👍  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, daiB said:

Sorry I have to disagree, first timers on a 35 night cruise? Even if they were first timers they could still mention it. It should not need spelling out on the menu.

Do you ever ask for extra courses in a hotel on land? It’s not the done thing so how would people know otherwise.

Even if it’s not a first cruise people may not get that they can ask, they may never have had to ask before when the portions were not as small as they are now. So a first experience of the need to do so.

Many people book a long cruise first time off, which in my opinion is not wise. Look how many book long liner or world cruises for a special anniversary or retirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Yes, you can ask for more, but the point is you shouldn’t have to. Many would feel awkward asking for more and by the time it comes you might have almost finished the undersized portion that you were first given, which makes for a disjointed meal. Some of the photos of portion sizes I have seen are bordering on the comical!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, you can ask for more, but the point is you shouldn’t have to. Many would feel awkward asking for more and by the time it comes you might have almost finished the undersized portion that you were first given, which makes for a disjointed meal. Some of the photos of portion sizes I have seen are bordering on the comical!

Indeed.Particularly if you are seated at a shared table, it would feel extremely awkward and slow down service. That’s why we prefer our own table as I am also a slow eater.

• Like 2