Tender ports Norwegian fjords and Baltic?

Aulight

We have booked B2B cruises of Norwegian fjords and the Baltic on Silver Dawn. I’m trying to find out whether any of the ports are tender ports. I can’t see that info on the website or on the shore Excursion pages. I’m also interested for other potential cruises. Thanks for any enlightenment.

Sorry, I didn’t make myself plain. I’m just trying to find out where I can see on the Silversea website whether cruise ports on any particular cruise require tendering to the shore from the ship. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aulight said:

Sorry, I didn’t make myself plain. I’m just trying to find out where I can see on the Silversea website whether cruise ports on any particular cruise require tendering to the shore from the ship. Thanks.

You were actually very clear.  You just fell victim to a smarmy attempt at humor directed at a newbie.

• Like 1

To the OP,

Firstly, ignore Stumbles, that's what we mostly do.

(Although he's absolutely delightful in person)

As for tender versus dock - no, you won't find that info on the SS website. You can sometimes infer it from excursion descriptions but not reliably.

I was on the Wind doing the Norway itinerary in 2019 and as far as I recall the only tender port was Flam.

I remember that well because the tendering got a bit messed up and we missed the train which is of course the main attraction at Flam. So that gave me the excuse to do the itinerary again and I am on the Dawn June 14th this year, hoping for better luck.

One problem with tendering versus docking is that ships are at the mercy of port authorities and if dock space is limited and there are several ships, a ship may have to tender when most times they would have docked. Generally this is known to the cruise line ahead of time but they don't always publish it in case it changes last minute and they have disgruntled pax.

Norway is a maritime nation so tends to have good docking facilities.

I haven't done the Baltic so can't help you there.

• Like 1

@Aulight If you write specialservices@Silversea.com they can tell you to the best of their knowledge at the time which are tender ports. On our Norwegian Fjords cruise last summer we tendered twice, once in Flam and Leon, we were originally docking in Olden but a larger ship took priority. Both operations went smoothly, the crew was wonderful at helping guests, as well as myself in my wheelchair.  

• Like 2

Thanks very much for your helpful replies. My husband is a little challenged  mobility-wise. But it sounds as though we just have to trust to helpful staff and deal with whatever the conditions are on the day. 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2023 at 9:12 PM, LAexNY said:

You were actually very clear.  You just fell victim to a smarmy attempt at humor directed at a newbie.

Swarmy?  Looks to me like the OP wasn't very clear (which they admitted) and you completely mischaracterized the reply.

On 5/1/2023 at 7:41 AM, jollyjones said:

Firstly, ignore Stumbles, that's what we mostly do.

(Although he's absolutely delightful in person)

Wow!  Who needs an enemy when an acquaintance is so capable of slinging insults couched in a back-handed compliment?