Covid antiviral availability on HAL

Sailnsurf

48 minutes ago, ldtr said:

the blood work that is needed to verify that  they do not have a condition for which Paxlovid is contraindicated can run as much or more than the drug itself.

Might not be necessary if you have a copy of recent medical records.

Wouldn't have had those handy on our cruise.

On 4/30/2023 at 9:36 PM, HAL4NOW said:

My DW got Paxlovid from the ship’s medical staff last October. The cost was $750 and it was covered by our insurance.

Wow that is incredibly high . No doubt she needed it but they  could lower that price & still make  out really well 

Guest ldtr
3 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Wouldn't have had those handy on our cruise.

I can access my lab results and other test results on my providers web site. As such if I can connect via internet I can download them.  

In an emergency you can call your doctor and they can forward the relevant information.

Edited by ldtr

7 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Biden may think that the epidemic is over, but some people are still getting very sick with it.  Just this past week, we had a local lawyer catch Covid and he had to be hospitalized.  Ended up losing a foot  and a few toes off his other side.

No, "Biden" doesn't think the epidemic is over. There are many different factors and agencies that have weighed in to make this decision.  It's not based on the opinion of one man.

The virus has essentially become endemic--regularly occurring--and because of mutations, like the common cold & the flu--it will continue to circulate indefinitely. 

So, the standard procedure, at this point, is to remove government from diagnosis/testing & treatment, and to handle it the same way the yearly influenza season is handled.  Testing, vaccines, and treatment costs will shift to individuals and insurance. 

We don't get flu shots, Tamiflu, or hospitalizations for flu, paid for by the government--sadly.  Now, if we could get universal healthcare............

• Like 5

Are the vaccines still provided under an Emergency Use Authorization, unlike the flu vaccine that has completed all the eons of testing and been declared ok?  If so, I wonder if health insurance in the US will cover the vaccines after 5/11/23.  I'm so over the whole covid thing I haven't been keeping up with the latest news, so if anyone knows please share.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

Are the vaccines still provided under an Emergency Use Authorization, unlike the flu vaccine that has completed all the eons of testing and been declared ok?  If so, I wonder if health insurance in the US will cover the vaccines after 5/11/23.  I'm so over the whole covid thing I haven't been keeping up with the latest news, so if anyone knows please share.

Sue/WDW1972

The vaccines available in the US were never FDA approved; still under Emergency Use Authorization only in the US. Pays your money and takes your chances status still.