Syd Norman's - Prima

skatie

We were recently on the April 16 Prima and attended all 5 Syd Norman shows - I knew of the show from my Breakaway cruise in 2020 and was blown away by the energy and vibe and fun so I knew we had to go when on Prima.  I had read in advance of the long lines and frustration so on the first night we were in line about 40 minutes prior to show start (10 minutes before doors opened) and we got seats right near stage.  As the cruise progressed and word spread of how good the show was, the lines got longer earlier.  I think anyone who wanted to get in and see the show could - but they probably would have to stand if they were there after doors opened.  Each night we got seats - our philosophy was we either stand in line before the show or during the show.  On two different occasions we got to talk to Emma and Debra (the female leads) and learned that this cast is on the ship until sometime in July.   I asked why they continued to hold the show in such a small venue when its so popular.  They are well aware of the complaints and she said that they are probably moving the Prom show to the Theatre so more people can easily attend and she thought some other ships had already started this and hoped Prima would move to that soon.   Also they said the Rumors Fleetwood Mac Show can't be moved to Theatre due to some copyright laws when doing an album from start to finish that limits the size of venue it can be performed in.   She also said they had built that space specifically for the Syd Norman show so NCL (?) were reluctant to move everything out to large venue.  I mean this type of performance and audience interaction really does work well in the small venue, but for sure there are lots of issues with long lines or people not able to see/enjoy these shows.   We had a blast and I'd wait in line again for all shows!

• Like 5

Based on my experience on the Escape - one of the great things about those shows is how the performers roam the venue and in some cases interact with the crowd.  You won't get that, not as easily at least, in the theater.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hallux said:

Based on my experience on the Escape - one of the great things about those shows is how the performers roam the venue and in some cases interact with the crowd.  You won't get that, not as easily at least, in the theater.

Agreed on your point and OP's assessment of the quality of the show and performers. 

As we've all read (and some experienced), the venue on the Prima is too small.  OK, they can't push the walls out to make a bigger space, but they got way too cute and whimsical with the furniture selection.  They could've provided more densely arranged seating capacity in there.

It still would be SRO, but that's OK I suppose.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, JGmf said:

They could've provided more densely arranged seating capacity in there.

Just looked at the pics on the deck plans section - you're not kidding!  

They could have a once per person booking system with a standby line for people that have been before (or have a booking pending). Not rocket science.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

They could have a once per person booking system with a standby line for people that have been before (or have a booking pending). Not rocket science.

this works well for other cruise lines too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

The problem is that there are 3 different shows throughout the cruise (there were on the Escape and it sounds like there are on the Prima as well).  It's not like you're going to the same show all the time.  Similar goes for the Beatles bands on the ships with the Cavern Club (same venue, different decor) - those are 3 nights with 3 different eras of Beatles music.

5 hours ago, skatie said:

We were recently on the April 16 Prima and attended all 5 Syd Norman shows - I knew of the show from my Breakaway cruise in 2020 and was blown away by the energy and vibe and fun so I knew we had to go when on Prima.  I had read in advance of the long lines and frustration so on the first night we were in line about 40 minutes prior to show start (10 minutes before doors opened) and we got seats right near stage.  As the cruise progressed and word spread of how good the show was, the lines got longer earlier.  I think anyone who wanted to get in and see the show could - but they probably would have to stand if they were there after doors opened.  Each night we got seats - our philosophy was we either stand in line before the show or during the show.  On two different occasions we got to talk to Emma and Debra (the female leads) and learned that this cast is on the ship until sometime in July.   I asked why they continued to hold the show in such a small venue when its so popular.  They are well aware of the complaints and she said that they are probably moving the Prom show to the Theatre so more people can easily attend and she thought some other ships had already started this and hoped Prima would move to that soon.   Also they said the Rumors Fleetwood Mac Show can't be moved to Theatre due to some copyright laws when doing an album from start to finish that limits the size of venue it can be performed in.   She also said they had built that space specifically for the Syd Norman show so NCL (?) were reluctant to move everything out to large venue.  I mean this type of performance and audience interaction really does work well in the small venue, but for sure there are lots of issues with long lines or people not able to see/enjoy these shows.   We had a blast and I'd wait in line again for all shows!

So you were in line 40 minutes.....or 10 minutes before the doors opened??? I'm confused. 

58 minutes ago, uneamie said:

So you were in line 40 minutes.....or 10 minutes before the doors opened??? I'm confused. 

We were in line 40 minutes prior to the start of the first night's show.  The doors open 30 minutes prior to the start of the show.  So we stood in line for 10 minutes outside and then sat 30 minutes inside with drinks prior to start of show.  The night of the Rumors show we stood in line for 30 minutes before doors opened and then sat inside for 30 minutes before show started.  They were very prompt in opening doors 30 minutes prior to start of show and show always started exactly on time.

On the Getaway for the Rumors show  we wandered into Syd Normans about 40 mins before and there were 2 little tables nearest  the stage w 2 seats each. We took it and couldn’t believe our luck getting to sit  there waiting. I’m sure as the week went on it got harder. 

It would not be as good of a show in the theater, what makes it is the intimacy of the space.  But, I do think it would work in the area that they have the dueling piano show, and really Howl at the moon has gotten to be extremely lame.  That area could hold more people.

Recently on the Escape, the outdoor section of Syds had great sound and two working TVs that broadcasted the show. Inside the seating was arranged in a way that allowed the maximum amount of PAX.

The problem with the Prima is those couches and no fixed seating ( except for the back wall ).

The size on the Prima is smaller, because of the placement of the engine room in the center of the ship and the necessary pipe chases thru the center. 

Move Syds to the wasted amount of space on deck #8, port side. Get rid of the photo gallery on the inside and the artwork outside, a great place for a bar on the Oceanwalk

• Like 2

9 hours ago, skatie said:

We were in line 40 minutes prior to the start of the first night's show.  The doors open 30 minutes prior to the start of the show.  So we stood in line for 10 minutes outside and then sat 30 minutes inside with drinks prior to start of show.  The night of the Rumors show we stood in line for 30 minutes before doors opened and then sat inside for 30 minutes before show started.  They were very prompt in opening doors 30 minutes prior to start of show and show always started exactly on time.

Thanks for clarifying that. I don't mind sitting inside to wait, I have to have my walker if I have to stand too long so I am contemplating where when I need to take my walker. I can walk but I just can't stand that long without something to lean on. due to back issues. Thanks again! 

Edited by uneamie

The whole reason its a fun show is that its in a smaller venue.  You put this show in a space that can fit everyone in seats and it loses the energy that makes it great.  It doesn't feel like a show in that venue.  It feels like you are at your local bar with the house band playing that you have been hanging with for years.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

The whole reason its a fun show is that its in a smaller venue.  You put this show in a space that can fit everyone in seats and it loses the energy that makes it great.  It doesn't feel like a show in that venue.  It feels like you are at your local bar with the house band playing that you have been hanging with for years.  

Agree 100%

8 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Recently on the Escape, the outdoor section of Syds had great sound and two working TVs that broadcasted the show. Inside the seating was arranged in a way that allowed the maximum amount of PAX.

The problem with the Prima is those couches and no fixed seating ( except for the back wall ).

The size on the Prima is smaller, because of the placement of the engine room in the center of the ship and the necessary pipe chases thru the center. 

Move Syds to the wasted amount of space on deck #8, port side. Get rid of the photo gallery on the inside and the artwork outside, a great place for a bar on the Oceanwalk

The "the placement of the engine room in the center of the ship and the necessary pipe chases thru the center." caught my attention!   

The last cruise we went on, the breakaway...I was disturbed by the engine vibration all night long.  We currently have a room mid-ship which looks to be across the hall from a large white void on the deck map.  

Now I am worried!  Anyone who has been on the prima...Do you feel the vibration and hear a constant engine hum while sleeping?

TIA

Sherry - booked Prima July 27-Aug 6, 2023