Captain’s Drinks Package ?

Winchester Ranger

Self and DW are currently doing the merry dance of choosing a drinks package for QM2 and I have seen mention of a “Captain’s Drinks Package”.  Is this an optional top-shelf package, and are there other drinks package options not listed on Cunard’s website ?

Thanks in advance.

Good Morning Winchester

We had a Captains drink package on our last  trip on QM2.It consists of a booklet of how many bottles you wish to purchase. There is a wonderful choice, and the Sommelier will be on hand to recommend .We take a ticket out of the booklet in exchange for a bottle.They did run out of a very palatable New Zealand and had to replace it with a Sanscerre from the Commadore collection .No complaints !!

Enjoy, and hope this has helped.

Over the years, both the Commodore's and Captain's Selection have been changed, but not for the better.

For example, on the Commodores, there used to be Champagne, Chateauneuf and a good claret. One by one they all disappeared, to be replaced by inferior wines.

I'd be careful! 

• Like 2

They also no longer publish the wine lists for the collections on the website, so you have to buy it without knowing what you're getting. Or you can buy it when you get on board, but it's more expensive. We've decided against it because of that - we'd rather see what we're buying. 

2 hours ago, Wordzz said:

They also no longer publish the wine lists for the collections on the website

The brochure can be found here: https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/pdf/life-on-board/drinks-packages/wine-collections-brochure.pdf

It looks fairly up to date but could be a remnant they forgot to remove.

I'm sure these are reasonable value if you have a wide taste in wines. For us there are only a few that fall within the type of wine we prefer to buy. The main list is extensive enough that we could buy different wines that we know we'll enjoy for around the package prices.

6 minutes ago, D&N said:

The brochure can be found here: https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/pdf/life-on-board/drinks-packages/wine-collections-brochure.pdf

It looks fairly up to date but could be a remnant they forgot to remove.

I'm sure these are reasonable value if you have a wide taste in wines. For us there are only a few that fall within the type of wine we prefer to buy. The main list is extensive enough that we could buy different wines that we know we'll enjoy for around the package prices.

I think that is quite old as Port hasn't been available for a couple of years on the Commodore's package - This a the latest copy I have and even that is a good couple of years old

Brochure Wine Package Cunard.pdf

As said earlier - It has changed and not for the better, but I will still order it for my next cruise

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GeorgianGal100 said:

I take it you still have to pay 15% service charge on top of the wine package option or is it like the drinks package and has it included?

I believe it includes service.

Just now, exlondoner said:

I believe it includes service.

Thank you, I hadn't considered this option before reading this thread but it would actually be a great way to go for me.  I love good wine, I'm not keen on cocktails and my daughter doesn't drink so the drinks package for both of us wasn't really a great choice.  Thank you again exlondoner and Cruise Critic!

Guest 4-2-N-8
2 hours ago, GeorgianGal100 said:

Thank you, I hadn't considered this option before reading this thread but it would actually be a great way to go for me.  I love good wine, I'm not keen on cocktails and my daughter doesn't drink so the drinks package for both of us wasn't really a great choice.  Thank you again exlondoner and Cruise Critic!

I'm in a different boat (though on same ship, QM2), where my S.O. and I are keen for the cocktails, sometimes wine, and definitely champagne on special occasions.

It appears that both my future TA westbound crossings include a drinks package for each of us. Looks to be that the package covers most drinks (spirits, coffees, waters, teas) but not bottles of wine or champagne (or does the drinks package include any bottles of champagne or wine?).

I'd like to see a current list of wines/champagnes, but none showing on Cunard site. I'll still buy what I prefer, package or not, if available.

Many thanks. Very much looking forward to Cunard and QM2.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

7 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Looks to be that the package covers most drinks (spirits, coffees, waters, teas) but not bottles of wine or champagne (or does the drinks package include any bottles of champagne or wine?).

I'd like to see a current list of wines/champagnes, but none showing on Cunard site. I'll still buy what I prefer, package or not, if available.

I think this is the most recent:

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/my-voyage/pdfs/qm/qm_wine_list_aug_2022a.pdf

It doesn't change that much. Sometimes prices go up, or even down!

With the package you get 20% off most bottles. A bottle listed at $60 would cost $69 including 15% service charge. On package you would pay $58.65.

There may be an upper limit on price of bottles that discount is given on. It doesn't seem to be in current UK T&Cs so don't know what they are enforcing. At one time it was wines up to $150.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
2 hours ago, D&N said:

I think this is the most recent:

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/my-voyage/pdfs/qm/qm_wine_list_aug_2022a.pdf

It doesn't change that much. Sometimes prices go up, or even down!

With the package you get 20% off most bottles. A bottle listed at $60 would cost $69 including 15% service charge. On package you would pay $58.65.

There may be an upper limit on price of bottles that discount is given on. It doesn't seem to be in current UK T&Cs so don't know what they are enforcing. At one time it was wines up to $150.

TY

2 hours ago, D&N said:

May math may be wrong here but wouldn't a 20% discount on a $60 bottle of wine bring it down to $48 since the service charge is included in the package?

Jack

23 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

May math may be wrong here but wouldn't a 20% discount on a $60 bottle of wine bring it down to $48 since the service charge is included in the package?

Jack

No. They still charge the 15% on anything over the package limit before they give the discount. The prices on our statement for the 3 bottles of wine that we bought confirm it.

It would be nice though.

2 hours ago, D&N said:

No. They still charge the 15% on anything over the package limit before they give the discount.

Thank D&N but even with the 15% service charge wouldn't still only be $55.20? Of course I'm drinking some wine as I write this so I could be wrong.

Also, thanks for the updated wine list. Mine was out of date.

Jack

• Like 1