Why a different elevator system on Celebration?

On Celebration now and wonder why they went back to the old elevator system compared to what they used on the Horizon.

Must say you make a lot of new friends in these elevators on Celebration. The elevators are small and they shoehorn people in. 

Still having a great time. 😊

• Like 2

People couldn't or just didn't care to figure out how to use the smart elevators. They would hit the button once and have a group of five get in. That would make the elevator think one person got in instead of five. Then I saw people who wouldn't hit the button at all. They would just look up at the screen to see which elevator is going to their floor and they would get in it.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Must say you make a lot of new friends in these elevators on Celebration. The elevators are small and they shoehorn people in. 

I agree - the ship got bigger and the elevators got smaller! 😄

I love the Vista class elevator system.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

People couldn't or just didn't care to figure out how to use the smart elevators. They would hit the button once and have a group of five get in. That would make the elevator think one person got in instead of five. Then I saw people who wouldn't hit the button at all. They would just look up at the screen to see which elevator is going to their floor and they would get in it.

Thats pretty sad. It was so much better. We were the only ones in the elevator this week when it stopped at a floor and a gang of people squeezed in we were up against the wall. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Exactly

• Like 1

I'd never encountered a "smart" elevator until this past weekend, on the MSC Seaside.

We were in the Yacht Club, so we were issued bracelets. Those would open our cabin door but, more importantly, you could wave them under the panel at the elevator banks where you choose the floor you wish to go to, and PRESTO, in (somewhere between) 10-50 seconds there was an elevator which arrived just for you (or others with bands if heading the same direction), and it would take you non-stop to your destination floor. We probably rode the elevator 15+ times, and perhaps 12 of those were just the two of us. 

I have a list of gripes with MSC, but at least on that point - I'll give them a big kudos! 

Tom

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'd never encountered a "smart" elevator until this past weekend, on the MSC Seaside.

We were in the Yacht Club, so we were issued bracelets. Those would open our cabin door but, more importantly, you could wave them under the panel at the elevator banks where you choose the floor you wish to go to, and PRESTO, in (somewhere between) 10-50 seconds there was an elevator which arrived just for you (or others with bands if heading the same direction), and it would take you non-stop to your destination floor. We probably rode the elevator 15+ times, and perhaps 12 of those were just the two of us. 

I have a list of gripes with MSC, but at least on that point - I'll give them a big kudos! 

Tom

I cant wait to read them. We are on MSC in June.

we passed Emerils today and I was telling my wife your story about the difference in muffuletta sandwiches pre covid and now

9 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I cant wait to read them. We are on MSC in June.

we passed Emerils today and I was telling my wife your story about the difference in muffuletta sandwiches pre covid and now

HERE'S a link to my (live) review - including the story of how our butler locked us out on our balcony... !

On the Celebration, in a couple of weeks, I won't even bother with the muffuletta.. sad... 😞 

Tom

22 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

I think it’s because people either couldn’t or wouldn’t figure out how to use them. It made a great concept a nightmare because they weren’t being used correctly. 

Most Americans won't read and follow simple instructions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

Yep - I'm not sure that critical thinking skills have been a priority in the education system. But, many students can be taught to take tests effectively... 

Tom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

The same people who press the regular elevator button a dozen times to "speed it up", would just press the call button on the smart elevator once with their entire family waiting.  At least, there were no buttons inside for the kids to push for all floors.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Yep - I'm not sure that critical thinking skills have been a priority in the education system.

Thinking stopped long ago, now they feel everything. " I don't feel I should have to learn." 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TxTeach79 said:

It's a great question. Those smart elevators were awesome. @HelloItsMeB has them at her office, they're great. People just couldn't master the...... very simple interface.

Well, there's always the stairs for them!

Tom

• Haha 2

On 5/2/2023 at 9:29 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

And the bands gave you priority over others that were traveling in the elevator with you.  So, for example, if you get on the elevator at deck 8 with another couple and they press deck 12 and you swipe the band for deck 16, the elevator takes you to 16 first, upsetting the other couple when the elevator bypasses their floor.  This "perk" was only for those booked in Yacht Club.

2 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

And the bands gave you priority over others that were traveling in the elevator with you.  So, for example, if you get on the elevator at deck 8 with another couple and they press deck 12 and you swipe the band for deck 16, the elevator takes you to 16 first, upsetting the other couple when the elevator bypasses their floor.  This "perk" was only for those booked in Yacht Club.

Use of the band "summons" an elevator just for you (it always arrived empty). The only other people who might be assigned to that elevator would be other YC guests at that same bank of elevators - going in the same direction. I recall at least one time where I got on (to go to 16) and others got on and selected 18. We went straight up, stopping at 16 first, obviously.

I could see where someone (a YC guest) coming from, lets say, a lower floor might be on the elevator when it arrives for you to get on - again, if you're both heading in the same direction.

There's nothing stopping someone else from jumping onto the elevator (without a band), but they'll have no choice as to their destination floor.

I know on NCL that the concierge and butlers in The Haven have a card they can use at an elevator to switch it into "Priority" mode. The MSC approach puts that "power" in your hands though.

Tom

8 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Use of the band "summons" an elevator just for you (it always arrived empty). The only other people who might be assigned to that elevator would be other YC guests at that same bank of elevators - going in the same direction. I recall at least one time where I got on (to go to 16) and others got on and selected 18. We went straight up, stopping at 16 first, obviously.

I could see where someone (a YC guest) coming from, lets say, a lower floor might be on the elevator when it arrives for you to get on - again, if you're both heading in the same direction.

There's nothing stopping someone else from jumping onto the elevator (without a band), but they'll have no choice as to their destination floor.

I know on NCL that the concierge and butlers in The Haven have a card they can use at an elevator to switch it into "Priority" mode. The MSC approach puts that "power" in your hands though.

Tom

The way I described it was how the elevators were on our lone MSC Yacht Club sailing back in January of  2018 on the Seaside.  The band worked in the bank of elevators adjacent to YC, but anybody could have used them and other non YC people were miffed on two different occasions when the elevator whisked us to our floor, bypassing the floor that they had wanted to stop at.

On 5/3/2023 at 6:33 PM, vwrestler171 said:

Its older than just the Celebration.  I think it started with Horizon, I know Panorama had them.  

CCL should reprogram them to ask how many people.

It started on the Vista....briefly.  It had the "new" elevator system when we cruised, but it was removed or reprogrammed just a few weeks later.  

Edited by Pellaz