Athens Metro or HopOn/HopOff?

tenmile

We 5 are spending 2 days post cruise in Athens. This will be a first visit for 3 in our group. Do you recommend we use the Metro to get to/from the main sites or should we travel on the HopOn/HopOff? Are Metro stations close to main sights such as the Olympic Stadium, the Ancient and Roman agora’s, the Parthenon, the Archeological Museum, etc and without us crossing major street arteries on foot? 

I would chose the Hop on Hop off...only because it is focused on the sites, and you get to see more of the city over all, along with narration and other info. You can get a two day pass and visit as many sites over the two days as you like, and perhaps get discounts on admission, or possibly free.

You can Google search for the Metro system and look at their route maps.

• Like 1

I understand that the nearest metro station to the port is a fair walk.

Be were disappointed with the ho-ho ..............

it offers two routes, Piraeus to the city, and city tour. 

Transfer to the city was simple and pleasant but a bit over-priced compared to other public transport.

The city tour isn't particularly interesting, it goes past very few sights.

An express bus service,, the X80, was introduced after we were there, it goes from the port to Syntagma Square. Last time I heard an al-day ticket (effectively out & return) was about €5.

Here are some posts which mention it ...............

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=X80&quick=1

Sights in the entre - Syntagma Square / Parliament, the Plaka, Hadrian's Gate, Acropilis Museum, etc are all walkable, the (original) Olympic stadium and the entrance to the Acropolis are further to walk.

I suggest you visit the Acropolis first, before the crowds & heat of the day - it's sometimes closed in the afternoons when it's considered to be too hot for safety.

JB 🙂

I've never been a big fan of HOHO buses, so bear this in mind....

If you have two days, I would use the metro system. It is easy to navigate. 

The main sites you'll want to see in ancient Athens are all walkable -- remember, the ancient Athenians traveled by foot. It's not a big area. And most of it is pedestrianized (except for a few commercial vehicles like taxis and buses), so no worries about crowded intersections to cross.

The only outlier site from the central area would be the Athens Archaeological Museum, and yes, there is a metro stop very near it (within 2-3 blocks if memory serves).

• Like 2