Qantas flyers would appreciate this (Not cruise related)

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Love it! And it is cruise related if you are flying into a city to catch a cruise. With Qantas, I'd be planning on arriving at the port city at least two days before the cruise starts.

And hopefully your baggage might arrive with you, lol.  They lose so much stuff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Kellyansapansa said:

I am currently sitting at gate 3 in Melbourne airport, waiting to board a flight which was scheduled to depart 6 minutes ago. Your post is very relevant right now. 😂

Are you home yet?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Are you home yet?

Yes, we eventually took off. Our flight over was delayed because the plane was missing an exit sign. The flight home was delayed because it was missing a flight attendant. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kellyansapansa said:

Yes, we eventually took off. Our flight over was delayed because the plane was missing an exit sign. The flight home was delayed because it was missing a flight attendant. 🙄

Said flight attendant presumably found the exit sign...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Being an American had to do some research to understand the context of that “Memo to Alan Joyce” which I now better understand.

I discovered that Qantas had record profits in the first quarter so hopefully they’ll reinvest those profits into improving their performance. We recently rebooked our bucket list Around Australia cruise for March 2025 that was canceled due to the pandemic in September 2020. While our flights won’t be available to book to Brisbane roundtrip until a year from now, we’ve been surprised at the available airfares up to March 2024 which are nearly triple of in 2020. We’re reading that’s a result of having more demand than supply but averaging about $2,000 USD per person that’s 2/3 of our 28 day cruise fare.

Is Qantas routinely that unreliable? We’re primarily considering Qantas & Air New Zealand (flew them to SYD via AKL in 2009)…if you had a choice between a Qantas non-stop roundtrip LAX/BNE/LAX flight and ANZ via AKL which one would you chose if pricing was similar.

While my question isn’t directly related to cruising it is about how to get there for our dream cruise Around Australia on Crown Princess.

5 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Being an American had to do some research to understand the context of that “Memo to Alan Joyce” which I now better understand.

I discovered that Qantas had record profits in the first quarter so hopefully they’ll reinvest those profits into improving their performance. We recently rebooked our bucket list Around Australia cruise for March 2025 that was canceled due to the pandemic in September 2020. While our flights won’t be available to book to Brisbane roundtrip until a year from now, we’ve been surprised at the available airfares up to March 2024 which are nearly triple of in 2020. We’re reading that’s a result of having more demand than supply but averaging about $2,000 USD per person that’s 2/3 of our 28 day cruise fare.

Is Qantas routinely that unreliable? We’re primarily considering Qantas & Air New Zealand (flew them to SYD via AKL in 2009)…if you had a choice between a Qantas non-stop roundtrip LAX/BNE/LAX flight and ANZ via AKL which one would you chose if pricing was similar.

While my question isn’t directly related to cruising it is about how to get there for our dream cruise Around Australia on Crown Princess.

My choice for flying Aus to US is Hawaiian Airlines with a couple of days stop in Honolulu.  Have found they have good sales and food, drinks and seating is good.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rickays said:

My choice for flying Aus to US is Hawaiian Airlines with a couple of days stop in Honolulu.  Have found they have good sales and food, drinks and seating is good.

Mahalo…we have considered flying HA via Honolulu (miles or cash) from LAX but that took more than a day to get to BNE (over 10 hours longer than on a non-stop) but will continue to consider that option.

HA is our favorite airline when flying between LA & Maui several times per year and we like their service and 2-4-2 economy seating on their A330 aircraft.

A Melbourne friend suggested JetStar where they get great rates to Honolulu. I learned they’re a subsidiary of Qantas & based on reviews they’re even more unreliable than Qantas. In 2009 we arrived 3 days before our cruise from Sydney to LA but due to United misplacing our luggage in San Francisco it arrived the night before boarding. We’ll arrive in Brisbane a few days in advance but want both our luggage & us to arrive at the same time. ☺️

Edited by Astro Flyer

3 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Mahalo…we have considered flying HA via Honolulu (miles or cash) from LAX but that took more than a day to get to BNE (over 10 hours longer than on a non-stop) but will continue to consider that option.

HA is our favorite airline when flying between LA & Maui several times per year and we like their service and 2-4-2 economy seating on their A330 aircraft.

A Melbourne friend suggested JetStar where they get great rates to Honolulu. I learned they’re a subsidiary of Qantas & based on reviews they’re even more unreliable than Qantas. In 2009 we arrived 3 days before our cruise from Sydney to LA but due to United misplacing our luggage in San Francisco it arrived the night before boarding. We’ll arrive in Brisbane a few days in advance but want both our luggage & us to arrive at the same time. ☺️

Ever since one of our suitcases was "misdirected", we pack her stuff and my stuff together. 

That is half of my things and half *well 1/5, 4/5* of her stuff per suitcase. We increase our chances to have at least some things at the other end.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Ever since one of our suitcases was "misdirected", we pack her stuff and my stuff together. 

That is half of my things and half *well 1/5, 4/5* of her stuff per suitcase. We increase our chances to have at least some things at the other end.

Thanks, good idea.

It was hot that October in Sydney and I had shorts & some other essentials in my carryon but my wife only had cooler weather clothing. Our hotel gave us toiletries & used the $A100 ANZ provided for her to buy some warm weather clothing.

Qantas has had a bad last two years, like all airlines, and they now have an unenviable reputation which will be hard to get over.  However, they seem to be working on it. Their "on time" domestic flights have greatly improved in the last few months, and their abysmal customer service (on line and by phone) has seen some improvements. As you have time to wait, I'd review using their international services just before you need to book.

Air NZ is a good smaller airline, and a visit to Auckland en route would be no hardship.

Jetstar is called "no star" around here. It's only advantage is low prices, but I don't think that's enough to put up with thier poor service and unreliability.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Qantas has had a bad last two years, like all airlines, and they now have an unenviable reputation which will be hard to get over.  However, they seem to be working on it. Their "on time" domestic flights have greatly improved in the last few months, and their abysmal customer service (on line and by phone) has seen some improvements. As you have time to wait, I'd review using their international services just before you need to book.

Air NZ is a good smaller airline, and a visit to Auckland en route would be no hardship.

Jetstar is called "no star" around here. It's only advantage is low prices, but I don't think that's enough to put up with thier poor service and unreliability.

Thanks