Mattress firmness

Lmcg

Hello

I have read that Viking ships have the most uncomfortable mattresses. Is this true?  I have terrible arthritis and was wondering if there was a way to accommodate a softer mattress. I will be on Viking mars in Aug 2023. 
suggestions would be appreciated. 

6 hours ago, Lmcg said:

Hello

I have read that Viking ships have the most uncomfortable mattresses. Is this true?  I have terrible arthritis and was wondering if there was a way to accommodate a softer mattress. I will be on Viking mars in Aug 2023. 
suggestions would be appreciated. 

Please don't let the skewed reporting get to you. The dissatisfied tend to be more more outspoken so it is not surprising that you are seeing more complaints than raves -- but also it creates a distorted view of the situation.  

If you are worried, I suggest contacting your ship a few weeks before your arrival to request a mattress topper for your cabin. The ship's email will be on the cruise docs sent to you before you sail or you can contact Viking to get it. Be sure to include your booking number and explain the reason behind the request. Make sure that you get a confirmation from the ship, else contact them again.

• Like 2

We were on Mars last August.  We also have a soft cushy mattress at home.  I had read several reviews on CC of the Viking mattresses before our cruise, and was nearly in a panic about sleeping on the bed for 15 days.  Embarkation day was busy with late arrival to ship and time spent booking dinner reservations and sold out tours with guest relations, so I forgot about the mattress.  We were a week into the cruise before either of us remembered that we were going to request a topper.  I never pulled back the sheets to check, so our cabin steward may have already provided the topper, if not the mattress was comfortable as is.

• Thanks 1

Just checking the mattress in our stateroom on the Jupiter...

The mattress itself appears to have a top layer of foam--rubber or something similar.  We also have a nice, thick mattress pad.  We did not ask for an extra topper--it is just as a comes.  I'd also rate it as firm, but not hard.  We've had no issues with the comfort.

• Thanks 1

We've done many many ocean cruises.  We've always found the mattresses to be very good!  Always so tired at the end of the day, always get a good night's sleep.

As in people's opinions on the various food and restaurants, and SSBP, everyone will have a different opinion and experience!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I just got off the Viking Neptune.  They don't have mattress toppers.  They just put extra duvets under the fitted sheet.  Still way to hard for me.  Looking for better solutions for cruise next March or I may not be going.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cac2516 said:

I just got off the Viking Neptune.  They don't have mattress toppers.  They just put extra duvets under the fitted sheet.  Still way to hard for me.  Looking for better solutions for cruise next March or I may not be going.  

I also just got off Neptune.  I ALWAYS find the bed too hard, although my husband loves it, so I just leave it alone and suffer in (relative) silence.  But this time, oddly, I found the mattress pretty comfortable and even remarked about it to my husband.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I also just got off Neptune.  I ALWAYS find the bed too hard, although my husband loves it, so I just leave it alone and suffer in (relative) silence.  But this time, oddly, I found the mattress pretty comfortable and even remarked about it to my husband.  

I had the same experience recently on Venus. Maybe they're changing mattress types across the fleet over time?

• Like 1

We were recently on the Orion. I fully expected to need the mattress topper I’ve asked for in the past,both on river ships and the Star. I wondered also if the mattresses had been changed as the Orion one felt better.  I didn’t need anything more this trip.

Heartening to hear the beds may have improved. I didn’t find them painful exactly, but we both felt achey after sleeping on them. I remember the relief when we slept in our hotel in Bergen afterward. 

Requesting a topper ahead of time sounds like a great idea. You can always remove it if it’s not needed after all. We will definitely do this next time.

Edited by Twitchly