Celebrity Summit: Using Laptop throughout the Ship?

darrylbrock

As I will soon be cruising on the Celebrity Summit, I was wondering about electric outlet availability throughout the ship, especially around the Cafe al Bacio. Are outlets plentiful or am I going to be on my own with just my laptop battery? Thanks!

You will not find an abundance of accessible outlets for your laptop in the public areas so plan on being battery dependent and maybe even bring an extra battery if that is important enough to you.

Your Summit stateroom will have European outlets as well as American ones (photo).  So bringing a Euro to American adapter will also be useful in your cabin

image.thumb.jpeg.be1837fd7a9d32fa16518749de78d3cc.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrylbrock said:

As I will soon be cruising on the Celebrity Summit, I was wondering about electric outlet availability throughout the ship, especially around the Cafe al Bacio. Are outlets plentiful or am I going to be on my own with just my laptop battery? Thanks!

You are not going to be plugging in at Cafe al Bacio. The euro outlets throughout the ship in public areas are usually not in places that are accessible. I always take my stuff that needs charging back to the cabin to recharge. Do you really intend to be on the laptop that much or do you just have a lousy laptop? My M2 MacBook Air battery lasts about 14 hours of use before it needs to be charged. 

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks mahdnc and Charles 4515. I knew about the cabin plugs so that is why I asked about outlets "throughout" the ship. The cabins are the only place one can rely on outlets so this was never a question. Very useful info that Cafe al Bacio is not power friendly. As for mahdnc's M2 MacBook Air, I know they have long batteries. I have a superb PC but it does not have 14 hours. But, MacBooks are not touch-screen nor 2in1's like my Asus Flip which I find critical. Everything is a trade-off. Sounds like I may be purchasing a laptop power bank before the cruise. Thanks!

Sorry about the unneeded cabin information, I sometimes will answer a question that is not being asked!

Charles4515 is the proud M2 MacBook Air owner.  I do have a M1 MacBook Pro though with pretty good battery life, but not 14 hours either.  Your Asus Flip is pretty nice, too--and yes, Apple does not do laptop touchscreens.

18 minutes ago, darrylbrock said:

Sounds like I may be purchasing a laptop power bank before the cruise. Thanks!

This is your best option if you have to be on the laptop all day....doesn't sound like much fun to me...but this will help your situation.  Get the biggest one you are allowed to travel with, if you fly, there are limits. 

Most of the plugs that I have seen around ships are for the crew, vacuums, etc..

Edited by PTC DAWG

1 hour ago, darrylbrock said:

Thanks mahdnc and Charles 4515. I knew about the cabin plugs so that is why I asked about outlets "throughout" the ship. The cabins are the only place one can rely on outlets so this was never a question. Very useful info that Cafe al Bacio is not power friendly. As for mahdnc's M2 MacBook Air, I know they have long batteries. I have a superb PC but it does not have 14 hours. But, MacBooks are not touch-screen nor 2in1's like my Asus Flip which I find critical. Everything is a trade-off. Sounds like I may be purchasing a laptop power bank before the cruise. Thanks!

If using your laptop for extended periods is critical to you, then I recommend you consign yourself to doing most of the work from your room where you will have a reliable source of external power.  Working from here and there for a couple of hours at a time is easy to manage with your laptop and then returning to you room to continue your work and to recharge. 

You also need to take into consideration the other passengers sailing with you who might like to find a seat in Cafe al Bacio and enjoy an Aspen, Affagator, cappuccino, or other beverage but can’t because you are parked there for hours on end working. 

• Like 1

First, thanks PTC Dawg for your thoughts on the power bank. What you say is exactly the issue, getting the biggest one that the airlines will allow (100 watts, as I understand it). That is why I wanted to verify whether or not it would be needed. If cruisers reported lots of outlets throughout the ship, then no problem. Alas, I see from responses that this is not the case. As for spending lots of time on a laptop not sounding like fun, I want to make good progress on writing my book so it will be wonderful fun for me. Second, as for DaKahuna's suggestion to spend the cruise working in my cabin, what kind of fun would that be? No views, no atmosphere no coffee shop. Ugh! I could stay home and do that. As for suggesting I might go to my cabin to recharge...well, aren't some kinds of things just too obvious to mention? Finally, suggesting that I or anyone would be boorish and hog a table for hours on end...well, isn't this a nice online cruise community where we assume the best of each other? I am surprised to see an implied disparagement here. None of these responses touched on my question about outlets throughout the ship. Anyway, thanks all. Very helpful. Time to shop for that laptop power bank ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

You also need to take into consideration the other passengers sailing with you who might like to find a seat in Cafe al Bacio and enjoy an Aspen, Affagator, cappuccino, or other beverage but can’t because you are parked there for hours on end working. 

It is bad enough that people park there for hours on end reading. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You are not going to be plugging in at Cafe al Bacio. The euro outlets throughout the ship in public areas are usually not in places that are accessible. I always take my stuff that needs charging back to the cabin to recharge. Do you really intend to be on the laptop that much or do you just have a lousy laptop? My M2 MacBook Air battery lasts about 14 hours of use before it needs to be charged. 

Cafe al Bacio has a very accessible outlet along the aft wall between the windows and the couch seating.  It is where the performers plug their equipment in but if their are no performers it’s accessible.  I plug my scooter in there.

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Two cafe al Bacio outlets.  One is along the railing close to the gelato area.  The other as mentioned above.  These are on Millennium, sister ship to Summit

73F88A1C-A513-4404-B66F-CD5781510856.jpeg

E68B206F-073A-4EEC-B79F-0DDEB97D687D.jpeg

Very nice. Dibs!