2nd MSC cruise impressions

KKB

Sailed MSC for the 1st time on Divina in Feb to Bahamas/Caribbean

I had a mixed review. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. Definitely different than other mainstream lines. 

On MSC Preziosa now in Europe. (Same ship as Divina)

Overall my impression is much better, at least on Day 1. Much more organized, no supply issues as of yet. Activities pretty this this evening—musicians dominate. But Day 1 is usually more tame on any line. 

Always find great crew & befriended 2 bartenders as soon as boarding. One appears to be a budding mixologist & was plying me with his creations. Seems I’ll be well taken care of for the next 21 days!

Enjoying Europe for the last few days even as I struggled thru jet lag. 

Will try to pop in daily for continued observations.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

MSC feels like a totally different cruise line in Europe vs. the U.S.  The MSC conglomerate is an 800lb guerilla and Europe is their base.  I find the service, quality of the food, provisions, staff availability and attitude, all better in Europe. 

You most likely took a 3 or 4 night out of Miami on Divina.  Better you than me. The passenger mix on any short cruise out of Florida, especially those over weekends, is just too much, at least for me.  You have the folks who look like it's the first time they've worn shoes, the drinkers that start at 6:00AM and go until they can't stand up, and in general people trying to squeeze a week's worth of cruise in to 3 or 4 days.  Just too chaotic and, no snobbery intended, course.  

In Europe MSC is usually 80+% EU and 20% other.  I was on the Celebrity Apex last June and it was 80+% American.  A lot of Americans complain about sailing with Europeans.  They aren't behaving any differently than they would at home in France, Italy, Spain, Germany, etc. If I'm in Europe I want a European experience.  You get that with MSC. 

Hopefully you'll enjoy the difference sailing with MSC in Europe and I hope you post more of your experiences. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, xcell said:

Weird thing for me in Europe is that they pick up passengers at each port but I guess then the check-in and departures weren't too busy.

MSC & Costa do that; the others not as often. It allows numerous passengers to do their 7-nights from a port closest to their homes. I think it's a great idea and I'd love to see some the cruise lines in the U.S. try the same thing; for instance a cruise originating in NYC that stops at Port Canaveral could have passengers originate in Florida and have NYC as one of their ports.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B_A_H said:

MSC feels like a totally different cruise line in Europe vs. the U.S.  The MSC conglomerate is an 800lb guerilla and Europe is their base.  I find the service, quality of the food, provisions, staff availability and attitude, all better in Europe. 

You most likely took a 3 or 4 night out of Miami on Divina.  Better you than me. The passenger mix on any short cruise out of Florida, especially those over weekends, is just too much, at least for me.  You have the folks who look like it's the first time they've worn shoes, the drinkers that start at 6:00AM and go until they can't stand up, and in general people trying to squeeze a week's worth of cruise in to 3 or 4 days.  Just too chaotic and, no snobbery intended, course.  

In Europe MSC is usually 80+% EU and 20% other.  I was on the Celebrity Apex last June and it was 80+% American.  A lot of Americans complain about sailing with Europeans.  They aren't behaving any differently than they would at home in France, Italy, Spain, Germany, etc. If I'm in Europe I want a European experience.  You get that with MSC. 

Hopefully you'll enjoy the difference sailing with MSC in Europe and I hope you post more of your experiences. 

I loved reading this.  I too am looking forward to sailing with Europeans.  It’s the whole experience of not sailing in the Caribbean or Bermuda that is exciting.  We leave on Wednesday flying to Barcelona and cruising on Friday.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, B_A_H said:

Took 5 day + 7 day in Feb 

Day 2 a bit of a mess.

No daily planner in my room. 
No English planners out; settled for French (took in HS)

Excursion desk. No rhyme or reason to lines, reps take 3rd person in line, people just jump to front. Form to fill out behind desk. Wait to find out the ones I want are sold out—perhaps use the screens to show available ones?

Miserable out so EXTREMELY crowded EVERYWHERE. Large Safari Lounge being used for UK “face to face” with each passenger so that does not help.

Is what it is—weather & local requirements cannot be helped.

But simply having papers out so people need not wait in line to get them & posting available excursions would alleviate much frustration.

Also, create a line  at excursion desk as they do at guest services so people are waited on in the order they came. 

Now: buffet for coffee—no seats/crazy lines at coffee shops!

On plus side my interior cabin is spacious & I forgot how well I sleep in those dark rooms!

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We sailed on MSC for the first time in Europe last October and will be on the MSC Preziosa in September. Actually planning for two more next year (MSC Euribia and MSC Poesia ?) before our HAL Transatlantic! traveling home.

It took me two years to convince DW that we should give it a try. For the first cruise we were in YC but will be trying Fantastica this time. Like previously mentioned by others we enjoy the interaction with the crew and passengers in Europe. In fact the YC dining room staff mentioned that we were so much more friendly than the typical European passenger, and had lengthy conversations with the YC director. After reading about what seems to be a difference wuth the US sailings aboard MSC ships, I may stick with our primary cruise company for US sailings.

13 hours ago, KKB said:

Day 2 a bit of a mess.

No daily planner in my room. 
No English planners out; settled for French (took in HS)

Excursion desk. No rhyme or reason to lines, reps take 3rd person in line, people just jump to front. Form to fill out behind desk. Wait to find out the ones I want are sold out—perhaps use the screens to show available ones?

Miserable out so EXTREMELY crowded EVERYWHERE. Large Safari Lounge being used for UK “face to face” with each passenger so that does not help.

Is what it is—weather & local requirements cannot be helped.

But simply having papers out so people need not wait in line to get them & posting available excursions would alleviate much frustration.

Also, create a line  at excursion desk as they do at guest services so people are waited on in the order they came. 

Now: buffet for coffee—no seats/crazy lines at coffee shops!

On plus side my interior cabin is spacious & I forgot how well I sleep in those dark rooms!

Wasn’t  the daily planner on the MSC for me app?  I believe any cruise ship becomes very crowded if the weather is bad.  I’m sorry but most of your complaints are no different than on most ships.  Not sure what you expected on a huge ship when everyone was inside.

1 hour ago, doones2 said:

Wasn’t  the daily planner on the MSC for me app?  I believe any cruise ship becomes very crowded if the weather is bad.  I’m sorry but most of your complaints are no different than on most ships.  Not sure what you expected on a huge ship when everyone was inside.

Preziosa is not a smart ship so it is not on the app.

Actually it is one of their smaller ships.

i said that the weather could not be helped—that was just an observation. 

My complaints were regarding making simple things complicated—have extra planners & excursion forms out where people do not have to wait in long lines to ask for them (as other lines do); list  available excursions so people do not have to wait in long lines to find out they r full (as other lines do). Simple measures to alleviate much frustration by many.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, KKB said:

Preziosa is not a smart ship so it is not on the app.

Actually it is one of their smaller ships.

i said that the weather could not be helped—that was just an observation. 

My complaints were regarding making simple things complicated—have extra planners & excursion forms out where people do not have to wait in long lines to ask for them (as other lines do); list  available excursions so people do not have to wait in long lines to find out they r full (as other lines do). Simple measures to alleviate much frustration by many.

I would definitely let your cabin steward know about the absence of a daily planner. I would also call or stop by guest services (when the line dies down) and make a suggestion about the lack of forms. Looking at your signature, it looks like you cruise a LOT! (10 or more cruises just in 2023, lucky you!) Given how often you cruise, and with different lines, it's understandable you see the differences between MSC and other lines. It wouldn't surprise me if the issue with people jumping the lines isn't down to cultural differences. At any rate, I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise. If you have any issues, PLEASE let MSC know. Giving your impressions here on CC is fine, but if you don't bring your complaints to management, there's little chance anything will be done about them.

Day 3.

We port in Cobh at 330.

VERY rocky this morning…needless to say public areas are much less crowded!

Sitting at Rob Roy in Cobh…great pub, highly recommend!

Needless to say, have met people who are VERY unimpressed with the sailing. We arrived 2 hrs late, it was a bit of a cluster getting off—but that would be the case on any ship!

Reminded me…there are levels of us

Those that LOVE the cruise

Those having a good time…a few issues

Those who r MISERABLE

Never been on a perfect cruise…never been on one we HATED. So I guess we r somewhere in the middle

Happy to be here!

7 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I would definitely let your cabin steward know about the absence of a daily planner. I would also call or stop by guest services (when the line dies down) and make a suggestion about the lack of forms. Looking at your signature, it looks like you cruise a LOT! (10 or more cruises just in 2023, lucky you!) Given how often you cruise, and with different lines, it's understandable you see the differences between MSC and other lines. It wouldn't surprise me if the issue with people jumping the lines isn't down to cultural differences. At any rate, I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise. If you have any issues, PLEASE let MSC know. Giving your impressions here on CC is fine, but if you don't bring your complaints to management, there's little chance anything will be done about them.

Oh I always let them know!

again…different.

bad? No

great? No

hoping they listen so they can be better!

Day 4

Dublin: tender port

Lesson learned: DO NOT but any timed tickets ahead of time.

2 ports, 2 missed times. 

Having cruised Caribbean (MANY times) , MX Riv & AK, I foolishly thought booking things 1.5-2 hrs after scheduled port arrival would be sufficient.

Nope

2 hour late arrival yesterday. 

Today I have an early tender ticket—1.75 hr after scheduled arrival.

Again, it is what it is.

My 1st MSC Europe cruise—are other lines like this? I will soon find out—BUT I will book excursions via the ship or wander a port with no timed tickets.

And book those excursions as soon as u know what u want to do, as they can sell out (this, I knew)

Not complaining—a lesson learned. 

A difficult one as I was told by numerous people to book times tickets ahead of time or you won’t get in. 
Either way, NOT getting in.

Sadly NO Greenock/Glasgow/Edinburgh MSC excursions available…and availability at port is minimal.

I have a private excursion booked in Invergordon. Departs 2 hours after scheduled arrival. I could cancel now & get half my money back…at a loss as to the best decision.

Had a lovely time at Rob Roy pub in Cobh. 
And it was gorgeous out to boot.

So missing plans often has a silver lining—but I’ll skip the extra expense of that lining in the future!

Sorry to see you are having a mixed experience on your first European MSC cruise. 

We have always had a cruise excursion guide in our cabin on boarding day with instructions how to book, obviously the smart ships you can do it on the app. 

Glasgow and Edinburgh are very easy to do on your own if just wanting to visit the cities, train from Greenock to Glasgow . We have visited Greenock many times and were there just a few days ago on Regal though the weather was cool so I just went shopping in town, there is a small mall there with all the usual high street stores including Primark. If walking is your thing there is a lovely walk along the coast to Largs  or upto the French WW11 monument with stunning views if the weather is clear . There are taxi firms who are willing to take you. If tendering  at  Queensferry for Edinburgh there is a local bus that takes you to the city from the top of the ramp .  Viator and TripAdvisor  are  great tools for research for  Independent tours and both  cities will have HOHOs or  walking tours to download . 

We have over 90  cuise nights with MSC out of the UK and Barcelona but wouldn't spend one single night at sea out of an American port with them even  though we have cruised many many times with RCI from the west and east coasts. MSC are dumbing down their experience to attract and from what I have been reading on CC it isn't working . 

We just got off Regal Princess out of the UK with 1,900 Americans onboard , one time we were waiting for  the lift, one arrived and the doors were closing almost immediately , I just managed to catch it . Hiding in the corner was an American guy, it was obvious he had pressed the door close before anyone had a chance to get to the lift . I said to him naughty naughty to let him know I knew what he had done . His reply was we should have walked faster !!!!  This was said face to face to my husband who walks with a stick  and has obvious mobility issues , such arrogance from the American . 

In Europe the only nation that knows how to queue or form a line are the British,  you have to embrace the way France, Germany, Spain and the Italians operate and sharpen your elbows 😆

Edited by heatherb1958

3 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

Sorry to see you are having a mixed experience on your first European MSC cruise. 

We have always had a cruise excursion guide in our cabin on boarding day with instructions how to book, obviously the smart ships you can do it on the app. 

Glasgow and Edinburgh are very easy to do on your own if just wanting to visit the cities, train from Greenock to Glasgow . We have visited Greenock many times and were there just a few days ago on Regal though the weather was cool so I just went shopping in town, there is a small mall there with all the usual high street stores including Primark. If walking is your thing there is a lovely walk along the coast to Largs  or upto the French WW11 monument with stunning views if the weather is clear . There are taxi firms who are willing to take you. If tendering  at  Queensferry for Edinburgh there is a local bus that takes you to the city from the top of the ramp .  Viator and TripAdvisor  are  great tools for research for  Independent tours and both  cities will have HOHOs or  walking tours to download . 

We have over 90  cuise nights with MSC out of the UK and Barcelona but wouldn't spend one single night at sea out of an American port with them even  though we have cruised many many times with RCI from the west and east coasts. MSC are dumbing down their experience to attract and from what I have been reading on CC it isn't working . 

We just got off Regal Princess out of the UK with 1,900 Americans onboard , one time we were waiting for  the lift, one arrived and the doors were closing almost immediately , I just managed to catch it . Hiding in the corner was an American guy, it was obvious he had pressed the door close before anyone had a chance to get to the lift . I said to him naughty naughty to let him know I knew what he had done . His reply was we should have walked faster !!!!  This was said face to face to my husband who walks with a stick  and has obvious mobility issues , such arrogance from the American . 

In Europe the only nation that knows how to queue or form a line are the British,  you have to embrace the way France, Germany, Spain and the Italians operate and sharpen your elbows 😆

Thank you for the Greenock tips!

SHAME on that American in the elevator—I was raised to show others courtesy!

Apparently my fathers British background is there as well—lack of courtesy of others has been stunning on both cruises.

I didn’t remember that from my month in  Europe during high school!

Med cruise on NCL in Aug & N Europe on Princess in Oct. It will be interesting to see the differences. 

Sadly other than the pizza, the buffet is nowhere as good as on the Divina. 

• Like 1

I think I've now done 6 cruises with MSC, 5 in Europe (1 more soon) and 1 in the USA.  Both Europe and USA were good experiences.  I find the Europeans to handle their alcohol better and not drink to excess as often, although I didn't see any specific issues on our cruise out of Miami.

While MSC's onshore customer service is lacking, I always have a nice time on their ships.  One thing I did notice about the European sailings is that while most are well-behaved, there seems to be a bit more cutting in line.  It's not bad, but more than what I see in the USA.  That said, Europeans seem to handle it a bit better.  Some Americans might want to punch you over this, lol.

Edited by Stockjock

On 5/12/2023 at 3:16 PM, michelle028 said:

Could you please post MSC MDR menus if you can? Its my first time sailing on MSC in July. I'm curious to see what is offered 🙂

Are u sailing US or Europe—and if Europe, what part?

The menu has been different here. More fish-forward in the Caribbean. It has a more Northern European feel here.

As the cruise has gone on…port days r VERY quiet on the ship & sea days VERY busy.

As with the Divina, areas are overfull on sea days—after dinner EVERY bar was full, many waiting at bar to order a drink. 
Faster to go to pool bar to get a drink—it had gotten much cooler so it was just the smokers up there.

Sailing solo when most passengers do not speak your language is a bit different! But my table mates are lovely solo ladies who all speak English; of course all the crew does as well, and they have been so nice.

My dad ended up in ER last night & I quite nearly booked my flight home for this week out of guilt. But he would feel bad if I came home early & he is doing well now. My brother & my husband are taking care of things fine.

On 5/10/2023 at 10:27 AM, heatherb1958 said:

Glasgow and Edinburgh are very easy to do on your own if just wanting to visit the cities, train from Greenock to Glasgow . We have visited Greenock many times and were there just a few days ago on Regal though the weather was cool so I just went shopping in town, there is a small mall there with all the usual high street stores including Primark. If walking is your thing there is a lovely walk

I live in Lisbon and the Portuguese queue very well! 😄

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, patrice1 said:

I live in Lisbon and the Portuguese queue very well! 😄

😆,  notice I did not mention the Portuguese , we holiday on the Algarve in the winter , have been since 1985 ... 😄. We love ❤️ Portugal . 

Lucky you living in Lisbon, we take the train to Cascais amd have dinner there if on an overnight port stop. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KKB said:

Are u sailing US or Europe—and if Europe, what part?

The menu has been different here. More fish-forward in the Caribbean. It has a more Northern European feel here.

I'm sailing on MSC Splendida out if Venice...going Turkey, Greece and Italy (Bari). Curious to see the menus. 

Final day of 1st leg.

Met Vegas couple on excursion yesterday who honestly were so unhappy they almost disembarked early.

Met couple with young kids day 1 who raved about MSC low prices/kids sail free…they r VERY unhappy today. Multiple times passengers have pushed their children out of the way.

Food has been ok. I enjoy my food—but certain I’ve lost weight…buffet very light today. Pasta, pizza, breads & desserts plentiful. (I avoid gluten products…) Salad selection VERY limited.

Food was much better in Divina.

I love trivia but played music trivia 2 days in a row…and most of the songs were THE SAME…huh?

My opinion is the same…do not love it. Do not hate it. But it is my least fav line. Even the low pricing doesn’t make me want to come back.