Accessibility in Barcelona

My husband and I will be flying to Barcelona in October for a transatlantic cruise. We are going a couple days before the cruise. We want to do some sightseeing but curious how accessible the city is. He uses a rollater. We do have an accessible room and have arranged for a scooter when we get onboard. Thank you for anything you can share. Ellen 

• 5 weeks later...

We were just there in April this year (2023) and everywhere was very accessible (my wife is a permanent wheelchair user). Footpaths are smooth, curbs have cuts, wheelchair taxis available, metro and buses are accessible. We went to La Sagrida, Park Guell, Casa Gaudi, Barcelonetta beachfront, Las Ramlas market,Ciutadella park plus many other places and most sections are accessible (some in each place are not). It is a great place to visit.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 5:27 PM, Waynetor said:

Can anyone provide info on Airport to ship transportation for passenger confined to wheelchair, eith cruise-line bus transfer or taxi at airport?

Thanks'

Does your cruise line provide transfers?   You might check with them as to whether they can provide accessible transportation.   

I think there might one taxi company that has a fleet of accessible vehicles.   https://www.taxiamic.cat/ca/

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 10:27 AM, Waynetor said:

Can anyone provide info on Airport to ship transportation for passenger confined to wheelchair, eith cruise-line bus transfer or taxi at airport?

Thanks'

Local taxis are available. We went from Las Ramblas area hotel to the cruise terminal for EUR 20 and from Las Ramblas to the airport for EUR 50 earlier this year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 8:00 PM, cinderellen said:

My husband and I will be flying to Barcelona in October for a transatlantic cruise. We are going a couple days before the cruise. We want to do some sightseeing but curious how accessible the city is. He uses a rollater. We do have an accessible room and have arranged for a scooter when we get onboard. Thank you for anything you can share. Ellen 

Hi, I know you are asking about accessibility, and my wife uses a scooter.  However, you are not using a scooter in the city, so accessibility is not really a question.  Like all cities, buildings have elevators and so, accessibility does not matter.  I don't think you plan on walking far places, but taking a taxi?  Without a scooter, it is like anyone else.  A rollater folds up and goes in the trunk.  We used a bus pass, and used busses.  They do have a ramp, and they do have kneeling busses.  

Than never means you won't have a challenge spot.  But what you really need to do, is decide you plan in the city, and than look at each item, from the hotel, to the sites you are visiting to check the distance, the route, and if the site has an elevator, or if it has a challenge.  YOu must plan, plan, and plan.  Use you tube to see videos and pictures.  Extremely helpful to see before you go.  

We spent a week, with no issues using a scooter.  Just challenges, but not issues.  

A challenge is like a sport......it happens.  An issue is a state of mind. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Hi, I know you are asking about accessibility, and my wife uses a scooter.  However, you are not using a scooter in the city, so accessibility is not really a question.  Like all cities, buildings have elevators and so, accessibility does not matter.  I don't think you plan on walking far places, but taking a taxi?  Without a scooter, it is like anyone else.  A rollater folds up and goes in the trunk.  We used a bus pass, and used busses.  They do have a ramp, and they do have kneeling busses.  

Than never means you won't have a challenge spot.  But what you really need to do, is decide you plan in the city, and than look at each item, from the hotel, to the sites you are visiting to check the distance, the route, and if the site has an elevator, or if it has a challenge.  YOu must plan, plan, and plan.  Use you tube to see videos and pictures.  Extremely helpful to see before you go.  

We spent a week, with no issues using a scooter.  Just challenges, but not issues.  

A challenge is like a sport......it happens.  An issue is a state of mind. 

Thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

Barcelona is very accessible: the buses, the metro (subway), the sidewalks (even in the historic (Gothic) area), the taxis, the buildings.  Everything is easy to maneuver in and from a wheelchair.  Bear in mind that you may have to enter some buildings from side entrances, and that some (especially historic) sites may not be 100% accessible. I recall that there is a Roman era site in the historic district that you can enter, but when it comes to actually viewing the Roman ruins, you have to go down some steps, so my husband went down and took a bunch of photos for me.  Progress, not perfection.  In general, though, I found Barcelona to be about 95% accessible, which is pretty darn incredible.

• Like 1