Carnival Vista Dry Dock Early 2024

Hello all!  I wanted to ask a question of the seasoned cruisers and experts out there.

We are booked on the Vista on basically the first trip after its unscheduled dry dock.  (Feb18, 2024).  We have had to cancel multiple cruises due to covid, etc and really want to get back cruising.

This cruise is over our kids winter break so can't miss school and makes finding a cruise really difficult.

My question is we don't want to wait 10 months to cruise and then it gets cancelled because the dry dock is not complete (the kids would be devastated)  What would you do in our situation?  How confident is everyone in Carnival's ability to get out of dry dock on time?

When/If it happens I can promise you that people on here will say that is the risk you take. Just like they do for inaugural cruises. It is more likely to get canceled than a regular cruise. But who knows?

• Like 1

I guess I wasn't aware that this was an unscheduled drydock.

Cruises after drydocks are always in danger of being cancelled. Usually the drydocks go fine and the ship sails as scheduled, but there may still be some work going on around the ship during the first few cruises afterward.

If you're worried I would make sure you book refundable airfare, hotel, etc., so that if the cruise is cancelled you can get your money back from them (Carnival will take care of refunding your cruise if they have to cancel).

While there is always a chance that something could go wrong, there is a six week dry dock window before your cruise.  Also, Carnival must feel pretty confident that it will be enough time because they scheduled a new three day cruise before yours.

• 6 months later...

Maybe hijacking this thread a bit but we are on the sailing right before it goes to drydock. Curious if anyone has been in similar situation and ever noticed anything different? Do they maybe cut back on food, options, etc so as to not waste as much ?

2 minutes ago, Wxman0 said:

Maybe hijacking this thread a bit but we are on the sailing right before it goes to drydock. Curious if anyone has been in similar situation and ever noticed anything different? Do they maybe cut back on food, options, etc so as to not waste as much ?

The cruise should be pretty much the same as any other.

glad to see she is going in for dry dock.  Saw her recently in port while on the Celebration and she was looking rather rusty in back and all along the side near railings.   I sailed her in 2018.  Sailed Horizon this past October and rather liked things on that ship more than Celebration.